Premium Member
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midway just sent me:
95 gr .244 Partitions
130 gr.270 Partitions
115 gr.257 Partitions
after waiting for months

Cabelas had a lot of blue box Federal ammo in .308 150 gr. my favorite.
Even found some .22 rimfire just in time for coons and varmints.

I think the supplies are finally increasing.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
I think so. There was plenty of ammo, primers, and powder at the last gun show in central Texas.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
It's strange. Our local shops have a "reasonable" supply of powder, primers, and bullets, but my "bulk go-to place", Powder Valley, has zero of everything. I don;t get it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think so. There was plenty of ammo, primers, and powder at the last gun show in central Texas.

Yup, I saw a good supply at the last Tucson Gouge Show. But, even though there was supply, it was like buying a new car. The prices were outrageous!

Allen

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Around my parts powder and 22 lr are still very hard to find everything else is available but powder and 22 lr is what I want. I was at sportsmans warehouse last week and they did not have one pound of powder for sale I was being patient hoping to come across some eventually but my h110 and imr 4064 is getting low. I might have to step up my efforts and try a little harder. I refuse to pay that stupid hazmat fee and I like to buy local anyhow.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Yep, some of Nosler's new products ( last years ) that were supposed to be available last spring are hitting the shelves now. In the last 3-4 weeks the new 125gr Accubond in .308 cal finally became available and I had a couple of boxes loaded for my single shot 30-30. And yesterday the new line of Trophy Grade Long Range with the Accubond LR was available, I bought some for my 6.5-284 Norma with the new 129gr AB LR.:D

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Thanks Fred. I saved those. Still doesn;t explain Powder Valley's empty shelves, though. I can;t figure it, unless they are so busy filling back orders that the "shelf" empties before they can even get the product listed on the website.

MJYEAGLE, I like to save up and buy in bulk. If you can do that, you can afford the hazmat fee as it gets washed in the bulk purchase. Buying local is always good when affordable, but you are still paying the hazmat fee (hidden in the price). Last time I ordered from PV (well, next to last time), a neighbor and I went in together. Off the top of my head I figure the hazmat between the two of us, with savings figured in, was probably about $2 or $3 each, if that much. Heck, maybe it was in the negative, because everything we purchased, with Hazmat and shipping included, was less of a total than if bought locally.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,870 Posts
The only thing Sportsmans Warehouse has around here is substitute black powder and some brands of bullets - everything but what I need. Had to order from Midsouth and Natchez Supply to get some powder, primers and bullets of choice. Yeah, the haz mat fee was imposed on the powder and primers, but that's what it takes here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm not seeing .22 LR anywhere but people tell me some places like Gander Mtn or Bass Pro have it behind the counter. Only downside from what I am told is those places won't sell it to you unless you are buying other stuff.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Around my parts powder and 22 lr are still very hard to find everything else is available but powder and 22 lr is what I want. I was at sportsmans warehouse last week and they did not have one pound of powder for sale I was being patient hoping to come across some eventually but my h110 and imr 4064 is getting low. I might have to step up my efforts and try a little harder. I refuse to pay that stupid hazmat fee and I like to buy local anyhow.
Cartridges like .22 LRs are also not showing up in my area. The same can be applies to many centerfire cartridge loads too.:confused:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
At a gunshow last weekend, there was a glut of ammo -- in fact, dealers were cutting prices in order not to have to carry it home. Local outlets, though, (especially the big box stores) for the most part continue to have empty shelves. Why?

Well, I think it's us. One store nearby has maintained a supply of almost any ammo anyone might want, but they have done it by limiting the amount you could buy. At the height of the shortage, it was one box per buyer; now they allow two boxes. The owner told me he hated to take that step, but that regular customers he had known for years, and who never bought more than a box or two at a time before, have been wanting to buy 5 or 10 boxes every time they walked in the store. "If I didn't limit purchases, only a half-dozen of my customers would get ammo. I'd rather everybody have a chance at it," was what he told me. His opinion is that the shortage is over, but that the buying public was still acting like it is not.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
His opinion is that the shortage is over, but that the buying public was still acting like it is not.
When it comes to all of the n00bs who recently took up reloading, and the crowd who thinks 22LR is going be the next currency, in an EOTW scenario, I think your local gun owner understands the situation perfectly.

The main things missing from shelves today are the means to load 9mm, 223 and 308, along with 22 rimfire of any kind. For those of us who have been old-school since it was brand-spanking-new, it's incredibly ironic.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Up here it's about the same as it's been for some time. Little or no .22 rimfire, spotty supplies of bullets, primers, powder and some loaded ammo. I can still shoot from my existing supplies and from stuff on their shelves. May not be the exact items I prefer but it will still fly out the barrel.

Sierra must be really on a backlog. No one locally has .25 caliber 100 grain Prohunters or 125 grain .30 caliber Prohunters. Their other offerings are very limited.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Midway sent me some '06 Federal Fusions in 180gr that had been backordered for over 2 months that I ordered in mid October. They arrived the day before I was to depart with the rifle I bought them for, the gift rifle for our guest. I guess it turned out OK though when the 180gr Core-Lokts I used for it instead gave 1" groups and also dropped his hog in it's tracks. I hope one of my '06s likes the Fusions!

Reactions: Bird Dog II

·
Registered
119 Posts
Still no ammo here unless you want shotgun. haven't seen a brick of .22 in almost 2 years now!
only store around here with .45 acp only has 2 boxes, for 42.99 a box! Sure wish the ammo would come
back, my rifles are getting dusty.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
Just got an email from Midway advertising primers on sale.... FYI.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Just got an email from Midway advertising primers on sale.... FYI.
I received the same flyer from Midway, Mike. However, I have plenty of primers. Did you check-out their ammo & brass, they have on hand? Most of it except a few calibers are "out-of-stock" :cool:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only ammo around here in surplus is .223 and 30-06. I think the reason Powder Valley is out of most rounds is that they are such high demand users that they demand a lower wholesale prices and suppliers can get higher wholesale prices from smaller stores and mom and pop shops. The same is true with Wal Mart. My $.02.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts