Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot two types of mainstream US commercial ammo out of my .30-06 on the same day. One brand of ammo consistently shoots 1" groups and the other 4" to 6" groups. No wind and no cleaning or adjustment between shots. What is going on? What causes such inaccuracy or repeatability? Obviously my rifle likes ammo A but not B. But my rifle is not a fickle teenage girl.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Temp430,

Welcome to ShootersForum! Rules are simple, be nice and join in.

Your rifle is not unique and is, in fact, as fickle as a teenage girl. :D This is a lot more common than you might think, for one gun to greatly prefer a given load over another. It could be the bullet weight, length, design, or it could be the powder used in that load or the overall length, but rifles can be picky. Be glad you found one brand your rifle seems to like quite a bit.

Now you know why some guys prefer to load their own ammo...if that one brand changes their load or cancels that line of ammo, you might have to go back to the drawing board. If you load your own, you can generally do so for 1/4 to 1/3 the cost and by stocking up on components you know work well in your gun, you can be set for life.

Hope to see more of your posts around the forum.

Jason

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Yep, seen the same. Had a brand of ammo that would not shoot in my .338; gave several boxes to a buddy. Worked great in his gun. What shot great in my gun would barely stay on the paper with his, got a lot of free bullets from him that he could not use.

You never know.

·
Banned
34 Posts
When I bought my .308 a few years ago, I bought one box of every factory round I could find. Only one shot well in my rifle, and thats what I stick to. As previously mentioned, should that manufacturer discontinue or change the round, I'll be up the creek!

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
Another welcome to the forum.... hope you enjoy your time here!

My oldest son experienced the same thing the other guys have mentioned. He bought a Savage 110 package rifle in 25-06 and I picked up every brand and hunting weight ammo available locally. Some ammo would be 2-3 groups and others shot bug holes. After the barrel was broken in it's preference changed. Started out liking Federal Fussions and after break-in shot best with Remington Core Locks. At least what I seem to remember.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome to the forum and a question, well two questions. Bullet type and bullet weight, were they different?

Okay 3 questions, was one of the boxes marked minimag or ultra velocity or premium or some such silliness?

I can and do shoot 4 brands of .308 out of my H&R .308 and all shoot pretty close to the same point of aim and shoot fairly close group sizes but pick up a different bullet weight or bullet type or velocity and all bets are off even with the same brand.

That's why you try different loads and find out what your gun likes and never mind what the ads in Guns and Ammo says or what your neighbor shoots in his.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Some teenage girls aren't as fickle as others either... from what I remember of them. I think they have a cure for that now though...

I always get a chuckle out of threads when people ask what shoots best in my gun, or which ammo to try... Scout26, you must have a hundred boxes of ammo that doesn't shoot well in your gun! buying one box of every kind would probably cost more than the gun. I admire your tenacity. I've been very lucky to have guns that not only shoot well, but most shoot many loads to the same POI/POA and have similar accuracy, even though there are notable variances.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I dont think I have ever had a 4" group, with anything but an iron sighted AK.
Boy do I have a gun for you. My brothers Ruger M77 30-06 with iron sights will shot 12" patterns, (Note I did not call it a group), at 100 yards with any 180 grain bullet. I switched to Remington 165 gr and this morning the best I could get with it is a 4" horizontal group 6" high. Even my ancient old 32 Win spcl with iron sights shoots tighter than that and my other brothers 40 year old Win 94 30-30 shot about the same but a little better now that he has had his cataract surgery done.

Next tryout for his gun will be 150 grain bullets.

My .308 is that way, 165 gr bullets and I am looking at 4", 180 gr Remington Core Lokt and I am looking at 3/4" or better. Guns are funny critters and that is why we try out new things to make them go better. Besides shooting is fun or we wouldn't have so many guns between us.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Add my welcome to the list.

Finicky rifle will drive you nuts, for sure. What's worse is that it might love Load A and hate Load B today. A year from now, when you buy Load A, IT might shoot lousy and Load B might be sterling. Why? companies change lots of powder and other components, too.

And as mentioned, that's why reloading is a never-ending trail. A wonderful load worked up now may not always be so wonderful with a new box of bullets or a new can of powder. But at least the experimenting means trigger time, so it's not all bad.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Boy do I have a gun for you. My brothers Ruger M77 30-06 with iron sights will shot 12" patterns, (Note I did not call it a group), at 100 yards with any 180 grain bullet. I switched to Remington 165 gr and this morning the best I could get with it is a 4" horizontal group 6" high. Even my ancient old 32 Win spcl with iron sights shoots tighter than that and my other brothers 40 year old Win 94 30-30 shot about the same but a little better now that he has had his cataract surgery done.

Next tryout for his gun will be 150 grain bullets.
Has a qualified gunsmith checked the crown, bore, throat and headspace on that gun?

·
Registered
273 Posts
First factory loads I tried in my M77 stainless .308 were Win. Failsafe. Best group was 4in. Next were Fed. Premiums, Sierra 165gr. BT. 1 1/2in. Shot a nice whitetail buck with those the same year. Next year tried Hor. Light Mags. 150gr. Interlock. 3/4 to 1in. Now I hanload it with the SST Interlocks and RL 15. Shoots the same. I can even mix them. I do however check my grouping with lot changes in powder and factory loads. If you don't reload best to find a good load and buy a case.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I dont think I have ever had a 4" group, with anything but an iron sighted AK.
Ladies n' Gentleman, I give you...TANG: The man who never flinches! ;)

(I'm just yankin' yer chain a little, buddy...) :D

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Yeah, I used to have a 7.62x54R that wasn't particular about what ammo you shot through it...12" groups at 50 yards, with pretty much any rounds I chose. :D

·
Banned
103 Posts
i got hooked on fusion as my gun was dead on the mark with it.. now the barrel is seasoned or something as it ll shoot power pt or fed sp almost as accurately..but fusion is still the most accurate ..im not keeping the gun tho as i can t do it justice anymore..it ll go to steadier hands..plus the financial situation has changed.. so i cant be sending get by money down range..thats the past for me ,i guess....it was fun though:).

·
Registered
676 Posts
Has a qualified gunsmith checked the crown, bore, throat and headspace on that gun?
Crown, bore and throat are fine, never thought about head space. Brother bought it new and didn't put 30 rounds through it and it had been sitting in its box ever since because he got divorced and it went into storage. I have it now and I will make it shoot for him. I found the same thing on his M77 7MM Rem mag. Very particular about what bullet it shot. I have made it into a nice 300 yard gun for him now with 3-3 1/2" groups.

I just chose the 30-06 last to fine tune and develop loads for because it is iron sighted. It would probably help if I scoped it but I'll be hanged if I'll buy those expensive Ruger mounts for him. Once I get close I'll hand load a few hundred rounds especially for that gun. I have a feeling with his arthritis being worse than mine I might end up buying it from him or selling it for him. Either way there will be a working load for it and a sample target to go with it.

What I find funny is I have other guns like the 30-30 and the 32 Win spcl that don't care what I run through it. The 25-20 will shoot whatever I can get down the barrel but the .308 and the 300 Wby mag are fussy. The Ruger mini-14 shoots everything bad but both M1's shoot everything good and right on down the line. Every gun has its own shtick, fussy or will eat anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts