Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals i was just wondering if any of you have or had shot the winchester power points in a 300 win Mag 180 GR and what your opinion is on them cause they sell them in bulk packages at cabelas for $135.00 for 5 boxes and i am thinking about switching to them right now i am shooting the superformance 180 Grain SST's and there about $8.00 more a box and i spend alot of time at the range and just getting to expenisive and i guess what i want to do is stick with one or the other my only two options to lazy to reload biggest game i will be hunting with that round is elk maybe moose so stick with the horandy's or save a little $ and shoot the Winnys let me know your input thaks

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
For that $135 you can get a Lee Anniversary reloading kit and dies, all you need then is a good manual, powder, bullets, primers, and your already fired brass and for under $200 you can be reloading your own ammunition and saving more than 60%.

Its not like it takes hours on end to reload, you can work on it for a few minutes at a time or for an hour. Soon you'll realize its a relaxing, rewarding hobby that you enjoy doing.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Hey guys and gals i was just wondering if any of you have or had shot the winchester power points in a 300 win Mag 180 GR and what your opinion is on them cause they sell them in bulk packages at cabelas for $135.00 for 5 boxes and i am thinking about switching to them right now i am shooting the superformance 180 Grain SST's and there about $8.00 more a box and i spend alot of time at the range and just getting to expenisive and i guess what i want to do is stick with one or the other my only two options to lazy to reload biggest game i will be hunting with that round is elk maybe moose so stick with the horandy's or save a little $ and shoot the Winnys let me know your input thaks
I've got two thoughts for ya:

1. If you're really "too lazy" to reload, you're missing a great way to enjoy the shooting sports when it's raining out or the wind is gusting to 40MPH, making a trip to the range out of the question. It's pretty easy, very relaxing, and will save you tons of money and/or let you shoot a lot more, w/o spending more. Over a lifetime of shooting, it is a great hobby that will probably make you a better shot with your rifle.

2. Why are you shooting that many rounds through your 300 Win Mag? After working up a good handload for a centerfire rifle, I probably wouldn't shoot 100 rounds through it in a 3 year period. When I want to shoot a lot of rounds, I get one of my .22 LR's out and shoot for quarter-sized groups at 50 yards, all day long. Saves my shoulder, wear and tear on a my hunting rifle's barrel, and challenges my shooting skills just as much as the big stuff. Oh, and costs less than a quarter per shot, versus the $1.50 a round the centerfire cartridges go for.

Give reloading a try, or at least pick yourself up a decent 22 and use that for extended sessions at the range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.