Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen these around for quite some time. Handled a few at gunshows but never got to shoot one. If I'm correct, these were stainless copies of Colt 1911's. So the question is how reliable are these? I've read some reviews and can't seem to get a definite answer.

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
Only had one...was a close copy. By today's standards,was not close enough.
They mostly screwed up on the small parts. At least in this one,could retro fit the wobbly stuff with Colt parts of the same era.

A little rough edged....as the name implies was made to run with ball ammo,and a tendency to gall the slide rails if not lubed.

What I would look out for: was pretty common back then for folks to try some DIY mods...still is....so if I were to buy one now,I'd want one that wasn't pre-screwed up by an heavy handed Dremel owner.

(And it would have to be cheap.)

Fitted some Colt parts (mag. release,extractor,sear,hammer)...eventually a new barrel (1911A1) and bushing. Ran it for about 20 years...then gave it to my Neice and it's still running.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So did the 1911A1...1911...and the older Colt commercial versions (other than the gold cup/national Match types).

Had the pleasure of wring out a pair of 1911's (not A1's),several 1911A1 WWII issue,pre 1970's Colts, and a pair of Ser. 70 colts.

AMT is about in the category of 1911A1's,,,kind of variably degrees of "goose loose"
..with pretentions of not,

Of all of them...the slightly "tweaked" ser. 70's pair of colts have stuck with me over the last 45 years...no intentions of trading them off.

BUT...if pushed cam to shove....I'd likely look at a NORICO (not many got imported), ARMSCO, or old beat up commercial Colt-colt, or whatever you could find that fit your budget....AMT is for folks that like farthing around/changing parts that SHOULDN"T make any difference (but it does).

·
Registered
573 Posts
My early production AMT Hardballer was purchased when Colt didn't manufacture stainless steel 1911's .

The Hardballer was an adjustable sighted 1911 with a full length rib and extended control levers ...SWEET !
The early ones must have been well fitted as mine has never failed to feed, fire or eject any commercial ammo with Mec-Gar magazines . I once owned several 45's , a Colt 1911A1 , Colt Commander , Colt Gold Cup and Star Model PS .
All are long gone with the exception of the AMT Hardballer ... it has never failed me and is more accurate than the Colt Gold Cup .
It's sitting on the desk besides me now ...ready to go if needed .
Not every Harballer is a dog ... I really like mine !
Gary

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Friend in the military had a Hardballer. Broke the sear and went full auto inside his Seattle apartment!! Two rounds went through the open window. Luckily no one noticed!!

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts