Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of those Gibbs #7 jungle carbines(.308).This morning was the first time Ive had to really work with it.At 50 yds,with the rear sight set all the way down,its in the 10 ring every time.HOWEVER,...At 100 yards its still in the center but about 3 FEET hihg!!Not 3 inches,3 feet!!Any ideas???

·
Registered
10 Posts
SSGT,
I have been shooting lots of cast bullets in rifles that have been sighted in for jacketed bullets lately so I have been changing a few settings myself.

The thing that has helped me the most is FORS
Front sight Opposite Rear sight Same.
To move the bullets point of impact you move FORS for correction. So if your rear sight is all the way down that is all the elevation adjustment available on it.  To bring the point of impact (poi) down the front sight will have to be taller. This is a fairly common problem.

If it was my rifle I would find the Ed (CE) Harris article online titled "Shooting Cast Bullets in Military Rifles" and enjoy shooting cast bullets in it while I decided if I want to buy or make a new sight arrangement. Have fun with the gas checked cast bullets if you decide to go that way!

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yep....cast bullets is pretty much why I bought this rifle(plus,it looks cool) all I had today was some fmj stuff.Speaking of gas checks,I have what may a stupid question but I,ll ask it anyways.
   So far Ive used the hornady crimp on gas checks.A friend just gave me about 4000 lyman gas checks for my .270. My question is.... what prevents these from falling off of the bullet and into the case??They come off quite easily!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My cast bullet reloading experience is not in the same league with some of the guys here so follow their opinions first please.

The "Lyman Reloading Manual" chapter on getting the most accuracy from cast bullets recommends that the bullet be loaded so that the gas check does not extend below the bottom of the case neck. The manual gives several reasons why and it sounded good to me so that's the way I have always loaded them. It has never caused me to have a loaded round longer than the max oal so I haven't really questioned it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SSGT,
Here's the link I was looking for.

http://www.goags.com/~c-r-ffl/archives/199605/msg00113.html

I have enjoyed all the Ed Harris articles I've read and always found them to be right on the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts