Shooters Forum banner

An Observation

9K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  MikeG 
A 30 caliber AP bullet hitting an iron plate at a thickness of 3/8-inch from a distance of 50 yards will hardly move tha plate. However a 45 caliber at the same distance will make it dance as though hit by a Mac truck.
The differance though is that although the 45 seemed to leave the impression it hit hard and thus would be the better choice it only chipped the paint and was pretty much a fail.
The 30 caliber however went clean through and would in this case was the better round.
Don't be fooled by big splash vodoo. But your observation was accurate.
I just don't agree with the conclusion in this case.

You made a conclusion based on your abservation that with a bigger splash a bigger bore rulesfor killing. I disagree with the conclusion as it relates to the observation. If you hit a puddle of water with a sledge hammer you will create a huge splash. However if you hit it with a knife, no splash.
One must conclude from your post you have concluded a big splash making caliber is best for killing. I simply do not agree with that as it is flawed science. In the same scenerio the knife in this case would be a more productive killing. agent giving all the proper variables.
Now to conclude that a bigger bore makes a bigger splash I am sure that "most" of the time that can be true. But not always Given velocity and bullet design veriables.
Don't get me wrong though. I like a big splash to. It make for a cool show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.