Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the verge of beginning to load for this rifle/cartridge combo.  I like old time favorites and this is an old favorite if ever there was one (I know, I know...the 30-30, 38-55, and 45-70, to name a few, preceed it by at least 20 or more years).  But this was one of those rounds conceived back in the '20s that was somewhat ahead of it's time ballistically, and paved the way for later improvements.  The usual comparison is with the 308 Win, and the apparent advantages that it has over the 300 are case capacity and neck length.  I was recently reading an article in Handloader by Ken Waters that pointed out these deficiencies as the primary reason for staying with the 165 gr (or less) flat base bullet in the 300.  The reasoning was that the overall length of the model 99 action limited case capacity to the point that longer bullets, particularly boattails, intrude on powder capacity so much that ballistics drop off rapidly.  Now the 99 became available at some point in 308, not sure exactly when but must have been in the 50's.  If so then the actions of these rifles must allow a greater OAL then the original (chambered for 300) ones.  If this is true might it be possible that the later 300's (like mine) will also chamber cartridges with a greater OAL?

This cartridge was considered a very powerful one back in the early half of the last century, and was touted as an elk and moose gun.  The only thing that has changed is that newer, higher velocity cartridges have over shadowed the 300.  If it was once considered a large game round then there's no reason why it isn't still.  Opinions?

And finally, does the short neck make this a poor choice for shooting cast?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Bart,

I'm happy to hear you're bringing a classic back to life. The Savage 99 is arguably my favorite rifle. My own 99G takedown in .300 Savage is a real winner, both in accuracy and "coolness."

You may well be right regarding the OAL situation in newer .300's, after the introduction of the .308.  But even if a 165- or 180-grain bullet extends into the case a bit, I think the velocity loss would be an adequate tradeoff if hunting game bigger than mule deer. Let's face it, most moose and elk are taken at ranges under 200 yards so a few extra fps won't make that much of a difference. A 180-grain Nosler leaving the muzzle at ~2400 fps will do fine for wapiti or Bullwinkle as long as you do your part behind the trigger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts