Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And Then There Were Two (now with pics)

I have been craving a Ruger No 1 in 45-70 for years, the wanting got even stronger after I bought my 1895 GS 45-70 a few years ago. Today I was weak and picked up a VG-Excellent used example at a gun show. I think I did OK, it came with a Tasco World class 3x9 and a box and a half of ammo. I figure the ammo is probably worth what the scope is, anyway. The seller says he thinks he can find the box, and it will be great if he does, but I am happy today. Can't wait to go shoot both my 45-70s, maybe tomorrow if the weather is OK.

Andy

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Who wouldn't want a Ruger # 1 in 45-70. You can load them to insane levels.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I have been craving a Ruger No 1 in 45-70 for years, the wanting got evven stronger after I bought my 1895 GS 45-70 a few years ago. Today I was weak and picked up a VG-Excellent used example at a gun show. I think I did OK, it came with a Tasco World class 3x9 and a box and a half of ammo. I figure the ammo is probably worth what the scope is, anyway. The seller says he thinks he can find the box, and it will be great if he does, but I am happy today. Can't wait to go shoot both my 45-70s, maybe tomorrow if the weather is OK.

Andy
Andy, I also picked up a Ruger #1 in 45-70 to go along with my 1895/45-70. Both are really nice rifles. Make sure you've got the adequate eye relief on that scope:eek: Both my 45-70s shoot the LE ammo well. I've got the 1895 sighted in with 400gr bullets at 1700 FPS now.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Congratulations! I've got a #1V in 25-06. Not quite the cartridge yours is, but every bit the rifle!

How aout a picture or three?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I owned a Ruger #3 in 45-70 for a number of years and had to sell it to pay bills. That little rifle was a deer killing machine. I only fired it a couple of times with max loads. That little six pound carbine was a killer at both ends with max loads. I kept a few max loads around for people who were complaining about there deer rifle kicking. Just one shot from the little #3 with a max load and I never heard them complain again. You will enjoy the #1 in 45-70.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not really looking to load it crazy, I don't even like max Marlin level loads in my 1895. I do plan on using more or less the same loads in both, mild to warm, not even ragged edge Marlin loads.

Stretch, when I lived in South Dakota, I always thought a No 1 in 25-06 was THE plains rifle.

I got a call a little while ago, the seller found the box, I will be picking it up tomorrow.

I am feeling very lucky today :).

Andy

·
Registered
233 Posts
have both-i find that a 400gr slug loaded with ar2208(VARGET) gives me around 1600-1700 ,has shown good accuracy,and nothing stood up after being hit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually just bought some Varget not too long ago, thinking it should be an accurate powder, and high load density in the .45-70. I also want to try it in my 30-30s, and its said to be a good 30-06 powder.
Andy

·
Registered
266 Posts
The nice thing about the 45-70 with some cast bullets you can load it way down for
a fun day of blinking with all the abuse..I used to soot mind with a 416 grain cast bullet and 16
grains of unique..It was like shooting a 22 and very accurate as well...I now have a sharps rifle
in 45-70 and after years of shooting black powder I went back to the smokeless...
They are a lot of fun....You can also shoot black in your number 1 if you want to try something
different as it will be easy to clean..But not in your lever gun..Too much risk of getting the
crap down in the action..All though I have used it in my marlin a few times.You just have to
be extra careful when you eject the shell out...Good luck with it and like the above..Watch the eye
relife...Or you might end up with a scar over your eye ball....John

·
Registered
488 Posts
Those Ruger #1s are simpy beautiful and on my wish list. You did good.
Dan

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Break it down, Andy! Break it down! It's the coolest thing to see that falling block in pieces on the bench. You can download a manual from Ruger's site (of course you know that) and if you want some pics and notes about what to watch for when breaking it down, email me and I'll send you mine.

Just today, my duaghter and I were at the range - she with her new Savage Mark II and me with the #1V trying some loads. When I got home and when cleaning it, I decided to drop the block, even though I just did it last time. I can;t resist! (I have vivid memories of tearing apart my Mom's Hoover vacuum cleaner when I was about 11 or so.... man, did I get an ash whooping!)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Great looking gun, but I'd pay more for the gun alone than I would for the gun with the Tasco World Class scope.

Worst scope I ever owned...Wouldn't hold zero for anything.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Jake, he wouldn't sell it without the scope, I asked. Thanks for your comment, at least I know something about the scope, all I knew was its a tasco, and I never had any luck with them before. It gets better, the scope obviously slipped in the rings, and is scarred up, can't even unload it on ebay.

Stretch, it will get broken down, seems like all my guns do at some point (except my Winchester 94).

Andy

·
Registered
488 Posts
Great looking gun, but I'd pay more for the gun alone than I would for the gun with the Tasco World Class scope.

Worst scope I ever owned...Wouldn't hold zero for anything.
HMMMM! My Tasco World Class has been on 3 guns and has held zero on all of them. Go figure.
Dan

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'm pretty sure I commented on your thread on Ruger Forum! That is a gorgeous gun and No. 1s are contagious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts