Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know the anealing temperature of brass and a good method for the process with the long 45-120 brass.I candle most of my modern brass but these cases in their size are an excellent heat sink and dissipate the heat so quickly candleing isnt a good option for me.Anyone got a a favorite method which would work uniformly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bob:

I read somewhere that you can dip the case in metled lead(as close to the melting point as poss. check with thermomitor), hold case by rim with vice grip, when hot drop into ice water. Be carefull!! watter and hot lead don't mix.

zooly

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I have dipped .25-20's into the lead pot. Take my word for it, you must dip them in light machine oil first! Lead stuck tto the outside of the cases and was a PROBLEM to remove! Worked well though.
I have started to candle my smaller cartridges also. Seems to work very well. I just did a large batch of .218 Bee brass.
I have done it with a propane torch but you need to do it in a dark room....

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,221 Posts
Lead is definitely the most consistent way to do it, because you know the temperature of the lead (don't even think about doing this without a casting thermometer), and the heat will transfer to the brass just about instantly.

I recently read some articles on doing this that suggested 750 F (I think) for an ideal temperature for brass annealing, but I will have to look them up to be sure. You can definitely over-anneal brass, then it is way too soft and that's a problem too.

With a torch, it will be fast but harder to be consistent, unless you have some Tempilaq or similar product to help you find the exact temperature.

As best I recall, you need to keep the temperature of the case head below 400-450F or so to avoid softening it. Holding it with your fingers, you will definitely want to let go before it hits that temp. Careful, brass and any other copper-based alloy transfers heat FAST.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
annealing brass

I know if you set your oven for 400 degrees and set a cake pan full of brass with water up to an inch from the necks and wait for the water to boil then tip them all over the necks will soften considerable. Plus it will take some of the powder fouling out of the inside. Take care and have fun. Swany

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swany said:
I know if you set your oven for 400 degrees and set a cake pan full of brass with water up to an inch from the necks and wait for the water to boil then tip them all over the necks will soften considerable. Plus it will take some of the powder fouling out of the inside. Take care and have fun. Swany
Thats the line I was looking for Swany,spot on.The lead dipping method is too uncontrolled for me although I'm quite sure with care it works fine but its too hit and miss.This will work---thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts