Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Scotland~

There has been much said on here recently concerning bullet types, performance on animals.Personally i favour a bullet capable of complete penatrating its simply more verstile it can be used for head shots low neck shots or even to break both legs to help drop the animal if needs be. You have the confidence that your bullet will not fail.

Basically if a bullet is placed though the cheast (boiler room) it will likely hit some thing IMPORTANT ! lungs, heart ,liver or artery which will in all likelyhood be "Fatal" unless you have medical attention on hand.

How ever this does not mean it will "fall over" on the spot which can be rather annoying and can result in trouble recovering the carcass, unless you have a dog trained to blood scent on hand.

A point often over looked is indavidual animals react, different species can react very different as can animals within the same species.

An example when i worked in a slaughter house the pigs were stunned with eletric tones whilst knocked out they were winched up and bled whilst out cold. BUT due to hair, dirt , breed,type or pig some were much more resistant to the eletricity ! Even within the same lot and breed of pigs the occasional animal would "fight" the tongs ! Which normally knock them out cold as soon as they touched the temples.

Certain species have gained a reputation for being harder to kill than others ?? For example Sika deer in Britain have a reputation for being hard with .30 cal recommended as minum. Yet they are not the biggest deer speciesw we have.

The humble ***** cat "Nine lives" ?? Why ? Well personally i have found some feral cats can take an amazing amount of killing ! I have seen one take 8 hits from tightly choked 12 bores using No.5 shot at 25-30 yards !! When its nine lives were over it looked like a caulinder and must have weighed an extra couple of pounds !

Shot one with a .243 100gn sp very low cheast shot, dispite the fact its LUNGS were lying on the ground were it was shot it ran about 12 feet !! You or i would have simply died ! But not this Kitty...........

Just like people "some" animals can survive amazing things whilst other die with minium troma.....................

Have you ever shot a "SUPER" animal ???

Englander

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Agreed! As I have stated in other posts -Put the bullet where it needs to go. I to like a bullet to go clean through, but on the way out I try to catch the off shoulder to help acher the animal or atleast allow for a quick follow up shot.
I also agree there are some animals that just don't like to give up the ghost. I had to shoot a Ground hog once 7 times with a full choke 12 Ga #6. He just wouldn't die!!! All of the shots were with-in 20ft!! Needless to say there wasn't much left and he weighed alot more than when he was alive.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
variations in time of dying

Englander,
I can add another reason for some animals dying faster then others.
Speaking exclusively about Whitetail Deer,the "attitude"at the time of being struck by a bullet,determines how quickly the animal will die.
If he is at ease,and unsuspecting,in my experience,he will die on the spot. I have never had a standing Deer move more then two steps after the shot.
A Deer on high alert,moving slowly,will travel about 20 or 30 yards before dying.
A running Deer,or one who had just completed a run,will run another 50 or 60 yards before dying.
This is assuming that he is hit in a vital area with a "proper" bullet,like a Hornaday Interlock,and at enough velocity.
Results achieved with wrong bullets and wrong calibers,is just a crapshoot.
Frank

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Englander,
The Kragman has a good point. A deer on alert will run hard, even with a fatal shot. The deer I shot last sunday with the .444 was standing and unaware of me. The 240 grain Remington JSP entered just above the right shoulder and travleed the through the right lung and stopped in the liver. The deer dropped on the spot. I prefer a bullet to exit also but I could not argue with this result. I finaly got around to weighing it and it weighed 130.4 grains. The jackted stayed on the bullet and it folded back very nicely. Lots of small lead fragments though the liver.
I still think a results survey for the deer season would be interesting.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Whitetail are something in this catagory. I have shot deer with the bow that were on alert and they blast off like a rocket. I have shot them as calm as a whitetail gets(that ain't very calm) and they stand there and even continue to browse before they die. As said before, bad hits are another matter entirely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts