Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Marlin M39A earlier this year. I bought it because of its reputation and its fine workmanship. It is the longest running production rife in the US. I am very happy with it so far. I put 250 rounds through it on day one at the Appleseed Shoot.

My receiver came drilled and tapped from the factory along with a factory rail. I bought a Redfield2-7x33 rimfire scope for it which I have yet to mount and sight in. Before I bought the scope I was using a Skinner peep sight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my first 39A this year too. I swallowed hard and paid the steep price for it (new '09 vintage), but I have been thrilled with it! I'm still using the factory sights and I've shot a couple of very competetive scores (second place) with it in 4-position matches at 50 yards. Mine likes CCI Mini Mags the best so far, but it shoots other loadings pretty well too.

I wish I'd bought one a long time ago. Much more accurate than my 10/22, and even more fun!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good to see good reports on the 39A's instead of some of the negatives we have seen lately. Both my 39A's are fantastic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am glad to hear that current 39A’s are still good. I got my 39A in 1963. I put so many rounds through it that I finally had to rebarrel it. Now it is good as new. I just hope if and when 39A production restarts, they will be as good.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
My 39 is a 'mountie', mfg. in 1953. Still running strong.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
No picture, but my '39 is a 1937 vintage - still going strong! (Sorry, Chris - couldn't resist!) :D

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
Actually, the rifle and I are of the same vintage, Chris! :)

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Actually, the rifle and I are of the same vintage, Chris! :)
and a fine vintage it is......LOL:p
I was just with a friend last week who purchased a pistol gripped stock '39 in realy close to new shape, that dated to 1959. He's thrilled, but honestly, the trigger is no where near as nice as mine. Your 1939 must break even better.
My mountie has gone to a plum brown patina on the barrel, and the receiver's blue is worn, but the internals and rifling are like new. Even after repeated takedowns, being thrown in a packpack, it still assembles to factory tightness, and shoots better than I can every time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a new Marlin M39A earlier this year. I bought it because of its reputation and its fine workmanship. It is the longest running production rife in the US. I am very happy with it so far. I put 250 rounds through it on day one at the Appleseed Shoot.

My receiver came drilled and tapped from the factory along with a factory rail. I bought a Redfield2-7x33 rimfire scope for it which I have yet to mount and sight in. Before I bought the scope I was using a Skinner peep sight.
chromatica, didn't you like the Skinner sight? I was thinking of changing my 39 to one of his. Bought mine used a couple of years ago and it was wearing a red dot scope. Was your front sight height okay with the Skinner?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts