Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a gun shop on Saturday just looking around when I came across a vintage commercial FN Mauser rifle in .30-06. It had a perfect bore, lovely stock and the old Balvar A scope and mounts with external adjustments. It was cheap and I set it back until payday. Not sure what I will do with this classic, but it was too good of a bargain to pass up. I hate it when that happens. All the best...
Gil

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Good to know there are others who appreciate the craftsmanship and quality exhibited in many of the older firearms. Most of todays production is pretty sad in both craftsmanship and quality. Hope its a tack driver.

·
Inactive account
105 Posts
FN Mauser Deluxe

I acquired an FN Mauser Deluxe back around 1962 or so. I paid for half and my father contributed half the cost. Mine is also in .30-06 with 24" barrel. It's a beautifully made rifle and extremely accurate. I made the terrible mistake of installing a recoil pad and thus lost that really cool FN buttplate. It first wore a Weaver K-4 but once I started working I went to a Redfield 2-7X which is about ideal for a rifle used primarily in the eastern woods. I have little or no need for the Hubble telescope.

The rifle is nearly 50 years old and I don't think I have 300 rounds through it.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Two of the favorite, and finest, rifles in my collection are a 40+ yr old Husqvarna and a 50+ yr old Sako with FN actions. It's simply a pleasure to handle and work the action on a rifle with such fine an action.:)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was in a gun shop on Saturday just looking around when I came across a vintage commercial FN Mauser rifle in .30-06. It had a perfect bore, lovely stock and the old Balvar A scope and mounts with external adjustments. It was cheap and I set it back until payday. Not sure what I will do with this classic, but it was too good of a bargain to pass up. I hate it when that happens. All the best...
Gil
A couple of weeks back I picked up a 55[?] year old FN commercial .30-06, just as you describe. Mine has an old Kollmorgen 4X32 on it in Redfield mounts. I'm putting an old Colorado Redfield 2-7X32 on it, but have to send the Redfield to Ironsight for a new reticle first, as it is the fine crosshairs now. The Kollmorgen will also get a new reticle as well, but will go on another gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.