Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Leadflinger, I have been lucky enough to acquire a Marlin 336CB in 38-55WCF. In what I thought was a great deal, he graciously supplied dies, bullets and even loaded rounds!!! He supplied me with 220 grainers( jacketed) 249 and 265 grain hard cast lead bullets.

Although he has also supplied me with the "pet loads" for these bullets, (and, to my amazement, this lever can really shoot!!) My question to the Forum is:

What are you using in your 38-55? I'm leaning torwards hard cast, although I'm open to all bullet/load combinations!

Thanks in advance,
Chris~
;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
m141a - Nice looking rifle. You might want to check the Marlin Talk web page and ask your question there. I believe in the cowboy or the 336 section they had several topics going on the 38-55. Hope this helps you. CEJ

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
Am one of those 38/55 shooters/hunters. Did make the decision to use cast bullet, but have used jacketed on occasion.

Good looking rifle...I'd have bought it.

Mine is a Winchester ussing an apature (Lyman) rear. the cast bullet decison was made more-or-less for me as the bore measures .379" and finding jacketed bullets in that size isn't nearly as easy as casting lead.

With lead, generally get MORE penetration but less expanison...deer don't seem to mind. In general, bulles don't have to be rock-hard to work at the 1700-1800fps I consider max. for this old round (can debate this...no reason n a modern gun that pressure can't be higher, but I haven't seen the need). Given a cast bullet large enough to fill the bore, 255gr. at 1750fps seems to wrok just fine....going faster didn't seem to be helping kill whitetails, just let the bullet sail out of the off side a bit faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts