Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine brought his friend to me to see if i was interested in purchase a 93 spanish mauser sporterized (1929) in 7x57. well, a long story short, i gave him a $100 and he gave me the mauser. i should have said no while clumbering to my "safe spot" and then drawing in crayons and weeping "no, bad orange man, no" while crawling into my onesy and blankee.
;)
:D

i still have clean it, but the rifling is ok. the action and barrel have the same serial numbers, but everything else is a mismatch. the trigger is mush till you break it(8 or 9 lbs, i don't have a trigger pull gauge). the rear and front sight are there and the wood is "passable" due to its age. i have some(somewhere, honest!!!) 139gr sst and i'll load up a few just to see what it does. then i'll field strip the rifle, clean it and put it back together and then it goes into my safe. i'll probably take it to my gunsmith to do a d&t and bend the bolt handle. then i will do a dayton trigger kit and 2 position safety. i'll probably re-barreled it to a 257 bob , but thats a long way down the road. i have three rifles that needs a-fixing and i'll have buy a 22 hornet. jeez-louise, give a cripple a break, why dontcha!!!
(rofl)

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,778 Posts
My first rifle purchase was a Mexican Mauser that had been rebarreled and chambered for .300 Savage. Had a bent handle and a floppy Leupold safety lever. Don't recall ever shooting anything other than targets with it. Got traded in 1961 for a used Win Mod 70 in .300 H&H. Later was gifted a Swede carbine Mod 93. Can't remember where it went.

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've got one of the 1916 Spanish that came through Samco years ago. its in .308( I know what your thinking) But, I don't load it wide open. Its more on the .300 Savage range. Been shooting and hunting with it for 20 years or more. No problems. Its in a Ramline stock that I bedded and reshaped barrel channel. Its d&t and has Bold adjustable trigger and Timney safety.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the Spanish military/people says 308 win, then who am i to argue? i used to own a rem m760 in 308 that killed many deer and my first black bear. but the 308 isn't fer me.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
Separate issues....but the .308 rebarrel versions live a lot happier if you thinkg ".300Savage"and use .308 brass.

That 7X57 pretty much frees you from any comments for mil.surp. collector comments.....you can't "unbubba" it, so free to do as you like with it...and can make a nicer hunting rifle out of it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 7X57as a hunting round.

Always suspicious of parts guns...when the assembly numbers don't match...and the bolt cut groove in the stock with a straight bolt handle makes me wonder. But if it checks being in-headspace, no foul.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah, I bubbaed it years ago when they were common, and it also was rougher than 5 miles of mountain road too.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my first 98 mauser was a FN. my gunsmith(RIP and a great friend) and i had bent the bolt handle, d&t for a burris scope mount, put on a timney trigger, striker spring(i think it was/is 25lbs?) and a 20" douglas premium barrel in 7x57. i stocked it in fajen wood like "plastic" stock(it was 25+/- years ago). i used it religiously to hunt deer with her but i gave her to my oldest son.

i have a 1944 98 mauser that is sporterized. a redfield aperture sight, dayton trigger and soon to be a richard's black walnut stock. i have another 93 spanish mauser that is at my gunsmith to bend the bolt handle and d&t for a burris scope mount and take off the original barrel. i have already done a dayton trigger set. it will be stocked with a richard's apache gold laminate and it will be rebarreled to a 22" green mountain in 7x57. it will be my youngest son rifle.

i do not do (bubba) an original rifle. i bubba up the bubba-ed rifle😂. i know that i will never get the money put into these guns, but i don't care. its enough to know that i gave them life when they were down and out. i DO NOT like the new rifles. they are cheap black plastic guns that deserve to put on scrap pile.

Reactions: Bungalow Bill

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here’s my recently refinished and reblued Oviedo Mauser 93, which became another of my quarantine projects. It’s still in 7x57.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice!!!!!!!!!

i want to redo the wood, but the butt stock screw is really really tight. kroil is busy penetrating it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts