Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month or so ago I asked about using rd. balls in a .30-30. Now, I still plan on trying that but, I've been thinking about a light conical bullet also. I have been using Lee molds and they have 2 that I really like. Both are .311 RN, one is 93 gr. the other is 100 gr. My questions are, Is a RN safe in a tube mag? How much of an advatage (if any) will I have by using the conical as far as accuracy, trajectory and velocity? Thanks,  JTT IN NC  Rookie Reloader      

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, the Remington 150 grain core-lockt factory fodder is certainly not flat nosed, and I've loaded 110 grain JSP's intended for the M1 carbine with no ill effects. The Lee 311-093-1R  should be perfectly safe in the magazine. I'll wager that accuracy and range are both well over what you could get from a ball.

Did you notice Lee also makes a 113 grain flat point gas check bullet designed for a .308 rifle? You could shoot that bare based and slow for plinking or close up small game, or press on a check if you want to push it faster to extend your range. That's the bullet I'd pick if I wanted a light cast bullet in 30-30.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imashooter2, I'd really like to stay under 100gr. and don't really won't to use a GC. I don't plan on going over 1800fps so I don't think I'll need a GC anyway. I probably won't even make it that high in velocity. Thanks, JTT IN NC

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
As imashooter 2 indicated, round nosed soft point bullets are a ok in tubular magazines. In fact,  the first .30 W.C.F. Short Range ammunition introduced by Winchester in 1896, used a 100 gr. lead round nosed bullet.  

The 1896 catalog said they were loaded with 6 grains of smokeless powder, but over the past several years I have had the opportunity to dissect several of original cartridges that I have found and they have contained anywhere from 4.5 to 9 grs.  of  different types of powder.  Velocity with the salvaged components in modern brass varied from 1,100 f.p.s. to 1,300 f.p.s.

I would say try 4.5 / Bullseye, Red Dot or 700X;  5/ 231 or HP 38;  5.5 / Unique, Universal Clays or 800X;  6 / 4756 or 7 / Blue Dot, HS7 or 571 for a factory duplication load.

Let us know what your results are.

Have fun!
John  

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, John                                                                     I kinda figured the round nose would be alright butI didn't know where to start as far as amount of powder. I have only loaded for my .45-70 so far and only used Rx7. The only loads I've found using Rx7 (for 100gr. .30-30 bullets) were over 2000fps. I plan on reloading my .45 Colt and I'm planning on using Unique. So I'll probably use the 5.5gr. of Unique you listed.What should my velocity be using a 26" barrel?     Thanks, JTT IN NC  

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
5.5 / Unique  would generate somewhere in the 1200 f.p.s. range with a 100 gr. bullet.   Best accuracy would probably be obtained by positioning the powder to the back of the case.

I have found the best way to do this is to bring a cartridge up from the magazine or single load it,  close the lever until it is about 1/4"-1/2" from closing, raise the muzzle to 45+ degrees,  lower it to the firing position, complete the closing of  the lever and fire when ready.

Have fun and let us know your results.

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, John      I'll let you know how I do with it. There's nothing like learning about something you're really interesed in. Thanks again, JTT IN NC  

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I forgot to mention in earluier posts is that I began useing the same pistol bullets (.312dia)in Argentine Mausers and a 7.7 jap 25 years ago for pests and squirrels when I lived in Socorro N Mex.  I used to spend many a pleasant afternoon in the backyard poping anything that trespassed including even big grasshoppers and the neighboors never got upset because there was ahardly any noise.  I used a few grains of green dot or some such.  Many pigeons etc fell to this load and more than a few nasty rats.  I think the pistol bullest work better than round balls.  I used to shoot them in the basement and, when the spouse was away, in the living room when really bored.  Squib loads add a great deal to the enjoyment of my guns.  You should also think about the Alex cartridge adators.  I have one for each of my calibers.  The 3030 uses 32 acp which I have loaded with wadcutters and all sort of other bullets with very good results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Model 1893 Marlin in .30-30 on consignment  at a local gun shop. It has to stay there til Valentine's Day, or it'll cost me &#3630.  I had the bright idea to sell everything and go strictly "COWBOY STYLE". A big game  rifle (1895 CB), a small game rifle (was going to buy an 1897 CB) but I decided to use the old 1893 (loaded down). I wanted to use the rd. balls so I wouldn't have to buy another mold, but I don't think another &#3617 will break me. When I get it back I'm going to slug the barrel with one of those .311 rd balls. Then order all my reloading supplies. It may take a while but I'll let you know how I do.  Thanks for all the information and suggestions, JTT IN NC  

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
One of my favorite things to shoot in a .30-30 is a load like you describe.  Using 310"-115g FNPB bullet loaded in neck-sized brass then expanded using a Lyman "M" die, over 7.0 grains of Blue Dot powder, any large rifle primer, and any brand of .30-30 brass. Seat the bullet to just engage the lands when chambered (in most guns crimping with a light crimp in the crimping groove works just fine with the bullet described as well as when using Lyman 311008, another bullet that responds exceptionally well to this load.

This load came about when dreaming up a load to familiarize my kids with center-fire rifles, I looked around the shop an spied an eight pound canister of Blue-Dot, and thought that at seven grains per load, it would yeild a thousand loads per pound, and that that canister would see my kids through EIGHT THOUSAND loads!  As it turned out, it has proven one of the most enjoyable, accurate, consistent and efficient performers ever in the .30-30.  We've used the load in more than a dozen assorted guns, and shared this load with countless customers all with the same results of under an inch accuracy at 50 yards, plenty enough accuracy for minute of grouse, rabbit and squirrel shooting!

Too, this load is SO quiet!  It doesn't make as much noise as a .22 Magnum!  It makes a superb small game load, a great plinking load, and will dispatch even the largest of varmints in suburban pest control situations!  The fact is, that this load matches or exceeds the performance of modern loaded .32-20 ammo.

Just an idea, enjoy!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts