Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the caretaker for a property owned by a big Mormon family. Several are doctors and one told me a dozen years ago he was more for gun control that not. I told him he'd be around a bunch of them but not to worry. We've become friends and he's the one that found the surgeon when I need it last spring. Nice guy.
Yesterday, the wind died late in the day and I shot a couple rifles and then walked out to the 400 yard target to re-paint it not knowing he and his wife were swimming over at the 'family area'. I was over to check on things and he mentioned he'd like to watch me shoot this morning. I've never considered my shooting a spectator sport so I stuck six little wormy apples on the spikes and painted up the targets. I knew he'd never shot a center-fire and probably wouldn't want to.... but he did.
His first shots were with a rebarreled Sako Rhimakii in .221 Fireball. I explained six o'clock hold and the apple vaporized...and the next four in a row. I explained the ballistics chart on the scope and told him to shoot the bull at 200. He shot a 3 inch, three shoot group at 200!
He was fascinated by my 6x51 so we tuned it up at 300 and he was astounded when he smacked the plate time after time. I went and got the #1 6mm and he hit the 400 plate three times in a row. I told him he was really good at gun control.
We walked the range and then a property corner and walked by the long way around to see progress on the pond and how the water control system worked.
We ended up better friends than before and he sees how much more complicated shooting is than just pulling the trigger. The wind finally started to blow so I let him shoot the Fireball again at 200 yards to better see the wind effects. A 40 grain Nosler blows around like a ping pong ball and no matter how hard he tried couldn't hit the same bull he'd hit three times in a row during the calm. I gave him a windage correction aiming point and he hit the bull again and was thrilled.

He suddenly took an interest to guns and spent an hour looking and trying to understand guns 101 in my gun room.

He tried to talk his wife into taking a shot or two, but she's not quite ready.
He's already called two brothers and told them how much fun my range is....

Attachments

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,965 Posts
Good going, Jack -

Hope he follows through and become a gun advocate and shooter.

Reactions: Ole_Dick

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have seen that same reaction when working as an RSO (Range Safety Officer) at "first shot" and Women On Target events. :)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The best way to combat the anti-gunners is talk them in to a rang session, its amazing how their point of view changes once they actually pull a trigger themselves.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was the RSO at a few Scout sponsored Camporee shooting events. We always offered to let parents shoot after the kids were done... some did, some did not. For those that did not, I'd let them know that we'd be there for about an hour after the last group of Scouts came through.

Many times, we'd get a Scout mom wander back over to ask some questions, and many agreed to take a few shots. I can't ever recall one not leaving with a smile having taken their first shots. I think not having the pressure of an audience helped.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,729 Posts
It's the smell of burnt powder and recoil that gets 'em started. Becoming a better shot keeps 'em coming back.

RJ

·
Premium Member
14,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to teach Aspen socialites how to shoot shotguns. It's a real mistake to try to teach more than one at a time unless they're friends or kin. If they're rich and strangers .....just DON'T. 'Staring daggers' is one thing. Swinging shotguns is another. :eek:

Reactions: Bayou Ogre

·
Registered
941 Posts
Our club several yrs ago was holding a bowling pin match. We only had about 6 shooters show up and the local paper sent up a reporter to do a write up on the event. The reporter had never fired a gun before and the club president invited him to shoot his revolver. He gave a favorable write up and even stated he'd fired his first gun and was impressed at how much fun it was.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well done and you have great patience, JBelk. I've enabled given lessons to five new shooters, one of which purchased a firearm for SD of his family. We must do more and more of this because more and more people aren't growing up being exposed to firearms.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've had a couple son in laws that I've turned into gun "accumulaters" and some friends who are now true gun nuts. Very gratifying! ;)

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Don't ever assume that converting someone to pro-gun will change their attitudes about gun control and politics, my neighbor is a raging liberal who believes that the right uses gun control to scare people into voting for them and the left has no real interest in gun confiscation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Showing someone that has little/no gun experience what it's like to hit an apple or any target at distance is a great way to enhance our sport(s). It shows them that not all people are out to kill the public in general like they see on the news almost everyday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good job. I have found there are two kinds of anti-firearm people. One will not debate you and one will. The one who will not debate the issue is never going to change their mind. They divert, call you names or just ignorant. The other will engage in a conversation that usually starts off on the rocky side but if you can stay on subject, not get snarky, and use facts, you can usually get many to see your side of the issue at the least. The country is so divided today it is difficult to get an honest debate going with someone of opposing views. It seems to me that those that will not debate an issue like gun control seem to believe that if they budge their position or acknowledge someone else's position as relevant, that they then somehow reduce their position on all other issues. It seems to be an all or nothing thing with many on the left. Any sign that the "right" may be correct about something and it is a sign their ideology is wrong. I am amazed to see the breakdown of society today and the violence happening in many cities on a daily basis as well as rioting over fake issues and yet the left wants us to believe society has evolved to the point we no longer need firearms in our lives. God help us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have seen that same reaction when working as an RSO (Range Safety Officer) at "first shot" and Women On Target events. :)
Yes, women don't have a "macho" image to try to uphold and are better listeners/learners (IMHO) as newbie shooters. I had my wife take the WOT training (rather than me try to teach her and put undue pressure on her) and she is an excellent natural shot - even though she won't admit it. I have taken employees to the range and even the "meekest Democrats" really get a kick out of shooting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our club several yrs ago was holding a bowling pin match. We only had about 6 shooters show up and the local paper sent up a reporter to do a write up on the event. The reporter had never fired a gun before and the club president invited him to shoot his revolver. He gave a favorable write up and even stated he'd fired his first gun and was impressed at how much fun it was.
I had a buddy, who was an ex-Federal Marshall, his wife would accompany us to different shoots. She was quiet as a mouse, that smelt a cat. On one of their many jaunts, they went to a pin shoot. Of course there was a heckler in the bunch. He had a great time, at my Buddy's wife expense. After the shoot, this Bubba was still at it. Well, my Buddy set up a table with pins, and handed his wife his customized Colt.45acp 1911a1. She swept the table, one shot per pin. Bubba decided then and there, he was needed else where. After, that day, she was no longer a cheer-leading spectator.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Good to hear, JB. Any true "conversion" is a good one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’ve taken many folks to gun ranges over the years. The vast majority of first timers enjoyed it. I wouldn’t say they all became gun enthusiasts, but most had developed an appreciation of firearms. A few wouldn’t let themselves
enjoy it. Those types just had to block out the fun so they wouldn’t be a hypocrite to their indoctrination and ideologies. By the way, it’s good to introduce most first timers using lighter recoiling firearms. Reactive targets go over well too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts