Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be joining up here soon. Anyone in SASS? What guns do you use? Have you been to any of the big matches? How do you like it? I am planning on bringing my new Stainless Bisley .45 with 5.5" brl and the 1892 Short Rifle.45 from Win.(Miroku). I also have an 1886 .45-70. Don't have a scatter gun yet. Can't decide whether to go Double barrel or Win. Model 97 pump.

·
Registered
206 Posts
FA18CUB, I am SASS all the way. I love it. I do not get to participate in a lot of cowboy shoots due to time constraints, but I still love great westerns, and to think that there is a society that allows me to re-live my teenage years, does me a lot of good! I have a number of "cowboy" revolvers and rifles. I tend to cater to the Ruger Vaquero revolvers and I have several different rifles in the so-called pistol cartridges; .44-40; .45 L.C. and .38-40! Most of my rifles are of the large loop variety. I have rather large hands and very long arms, so "spin-cocking" isn't a problem for me.

Have a marvelous week-end,
Timberwolf ;)

·
Banned
68 Posts
With an alias of "Bad *** Wallace", you boys don't think I sit at home every weekend eatin baked beans or pickled onions

I got "hoglegs" in 38 Extra Long Colt, 44Mag_namious, 44/40,45LC. Derringer 45, Rifles 25/20, 32/20, 32/40, 38/55, 44Mag_namious, 44/40, as well as Sharps in 40/65 and 45/70
and a liddle rollin block or 3.

Favourite line from "Silverado"; Dean Martin says "Mine hit the ground first" and the Duke replies, "Mine was taller"

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Eric,

Minor point....an old man's memory suggests that Dean Martin and John Wayne starred together in "Rio Bravo"?
And that the referenced quote involved Kirk Douglas and John Wayne, I think the movie was "War Wagon"?

But then looking at your arsenal, maybe I better agree with you!

Dan

·
Banned
68 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Ma memory must be going. What better excuse to watch them all again.

Well old age is catchin up with me. These days I am more in the class "Hey Jonny Ringo your so drunk your seein double"
"Thats why I got two guns, one fer each of ya"

·
7,764 Posts
Well, now you're talkin! One of the better modern westerns we've had. Powers Booth as Johnny Ringo, and Kilmer as Doc with Kurt Russell as Wyatt; all were excellent. Might not be the most accurate, but sure was entertaining.

And Ringo, after commenting about "one fer each of ya", shot the sheriff, later claiming it was a mistake. As I remember, history says Ringo was found dead, lying against a tree with the evidence pointing towards suicide.

Dan

·
Banned
68 Posts
Have you seen a flick called "Riders of the Purple Sage", with Tom Sellek. I don't know who did the research but it is the only movie I've seen featuring a Spencer repeater in 50/70. New Spencers are now being manufactured in Italy by Armi Sport.

All time favourite movie "Quigley Down Under" also with Tom. Man I love that 45/110 Sharps. I have 45/120 45/70 & 40/65 but still longin fer a Pedersoli "Quigley Model".

We used to have a bucket shoot at our range 50cents a shot at a bucket at 500yds. Winner takes half the pot and the remainder donated to charity. Damned popular it was.

·
7,764 Posts
The "Riders of the Purple Sage" I've seen is a made for TV show with Ed Harris and his wife Amy Madigan. Harris plays a cowboy searching for a man that drove his sister to suicide. It involved a religious sect that contained the 'bad guys'. As I remember, the book was written by Zane Grey.

Certainly one of my favorite western movies is "Quigley Down Under". His line at the end of the movie after the 'quick draw' showdown, "I didn't say I couldn't use 'em, I just said I didn't particularly like 'em" (as close as I can remember).... pretty good stuff. I've noticed that several rifle manufacturers advertise Quigley rifles and I've seen the rifle he used in "The American Shooter" magazine.....pretty impressive. I've always wondered how the Australians felt about our sending an American down under to be the hero when they sure had their share of rough and ready cowboys available. I remember taking a Russian visitor to a James Bond movie that had the Russians as not only the bad guys, but not too bright. Since he didn't speak English I never found out, but I did point out that the hero was British, not American.

Dan

·
Banned
68 Posts
A hero is a hero no matter where he comes from, his nationality, skin colour his dress or personal preferences.

My mother used to teach me the following since I could first talk. She called it, "The measure of a Man"

To see wrong and try to right it,
To see hurt and try to stop it,
To see sickness and try to heal it,
To offer help in time of need,
To give comfort and support
in time of sorrow and distress,
God asks no more of any man
in our short time upon this earth.

I like a lot of modern westerns as they are more plausible. The hero doesn't always get the girl but leaves behind a warm feeling just for doin good deeds like the measure of a man.

·
7,764 Posts
Your Mom was a smart and good person that obviously had outstanding success with her son.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts