Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has info on the 16.5" barrel 308? Seems kinda short, but nice little gun. Slip on recoil pad could improve on the 12.5" LOP. Fire breathing dragon? Too short of a barrel? I sure like the weight and compact concept. Considering buying one.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
No, but I think Ruger is offering their "compact magnum" series in .308 this comming year. It has a 20" barrel and open sights. You might look at their website under compact magnum rifles.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I think Ruger is offering their "compact magnum" series in .308 this comming year. It has a 20" barrel and open sights. You might look at their website under compact magnum rifles.
It's a full pound heavier.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm almost afraid to answer this, since it seems every post I make concerns mine. But you asked, so here it goes.

I love my two Compacts. Both are SS with grey laminate stocks. One is a 243, one is a 260 REM. My son has a BSA Majestic in 308, which I've shot quite a bit, and I think the 308 Ruger Compact would perform much like my other Compacts, except for a touch more recoil due to heavier bullets. (But I shoot my 260 with 140 gr bullets, so the 308 with 150 gr bullets shouldn't be much different.)

They are a joy to carry and quick shooting, especially in woods or from a treestand. When climbing steep hills or carrying a treestand on your back, you will appreciate the short length and one pound lighter.

Mine are very accurate, too. The short barrels, even though slim profile, are stiffer because of short length. In three years we've shot at 10 deer and one coyote with them, and all but one were one-shot kills. (The one that took two shots was my fault; I took a shot that was too much quartering toward me, and I only caught one lung. The buck was down and would have died eventually, but I gave him a second killing shot.)

Like you, I added a slip-on pad to the 260 for longer length of pull, but I've gotten used to the 243 without the extra pad. This summer I plan to replace the stock recoil pads with thicker ones, or one with an extra spacer. (I'm 6'1" tall.)

Now, the negatives:

You will lose about 160 fps over published velocities.
Muzzle blast is noticeably louder, but not as bad as a gun with muzzle brake.
The barrels will heat up after a few shots. This isn't a problem in hunting, but at the range you will want to bring another gun or a book to read between groups. In 60 degree weather I can shoot the first 3 shot group at regular speed, but after that I need about 10 minutes per 3 shot group to keep the barrel cool. In 90 degree weather you really have to take your time.

All in all, I think they are great little guns, and I'm contemplating buying yet another in 338 FED, if I find one at a good deal. I would have bought one last year, had I known they would discontinue that caliber. When my grandkids grow up, I might change the barrel on the 243 to a 20" pipe, and then it will be about perfect for the kind of shooting I do.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I'm pretty sure this rifle has been toasted and roasted in the recent past. Some members liked theirs, I hated mine and sold it. The only thing it did well for me was not weigh much.
The trigger pull most likely was heavier than the weight of the rifle.;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trigger pull most likely was heavier than the weight of the rifle.;)
That is an easy fix in the hawkeyes with a weaker trigger spring. Did it on my 338. Took it from 6# down to 2.5#.

But I am now looking at the lightweight hunter from Savage. 5.5# and a 20" barrel. Supposed to be hitting the stores late April.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
That is an easy fix in the hawkeyes with a weaker trigger spring. Did it on my 338. Took it from 6# down to 2.5#.
I replaced the trigger, on my Ruger Ultralight .308, & there was no improvement in the accuracy department at all. I sold my Ruger Ultralight to a collector who was wanting one for his collection. Your .338 would be quite a bit heavier than the .308 I owned so it should have a heavier & longer barrel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the 338 is heavier, but it has a different purpose. I am looking for a light all around rifle for most everything other than when heavier punch is not necessary. Light enough to carry when predator hunting, black bear, cougar, deer, elk. Elk maybe the 338 depending on the hunting situation where long range shot opportunities may be available. But 150 yard shots, the 308 is sufficient.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I noticed that the compact magnum series rifles would be offered in .308 this year too, and thought that was a very good match. The wood stock version has a 1/2" shorter pull, but the plastic stocked one has the same length of pull as the standard M77MKII. I am 6'2", but find that the Ruger scope mount cuts are a bit too far forward for ideal eye relief when you are apt to get shots at odd angles so the half inch shorter pull would probably even work for a guy my size.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I noticed that the compact magnum series rifles would be offered in .308 this year too, and thought that was a very good match. The wood stock version has a 1/2" shorter pull, but the plastic stocked one has the same length of pull as the standard M77MKII. I am 6'2", but find that the Ruger scope mount cuts are a bit too far forward for ideal eye relief when you are apt to get shots at odd angles so the half inch shorter pull would probably even work for a guy my size.
It's unusual they aren't offering it in calibers like .270, .257 Roberts or even .30-06. :confused: I am wondering if they are placing the "whimpy" thin barrel on their magnum series, as I noticed they have discontinued the Hawkeye Ultralight rifles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts