Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a Olight S10R Baton on a daily basis. Personally I just feel naked when out and about without a flashlight, been that way for years. Anybody else an addict like me? :D

·
Premium Member
15,053 Posts
I love my ebay Cree LEDs. I can see bullet holes at 200 with spotting scope and a very small LED flashlight. I carried a small Kel light on a trip to Europe one time as 'protection' but I'd rather have a gun.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
I like having good flashlights around but havent bought any of the high end retina scorchers yet.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Two years ago I was in my local nail/screw/bolt supplier and on the service area he had a large box of small LED torches for the equivalent of $3 each . I purchased five there and then, they are small and light enough to hold in your teeth. One in my Land Rover, One in my hunting bag. One in my wifes car and one in our kitchen right near the circuit breaker box in case the lights go out. They have never needed any new batteries since I purchased them. I also have an LED torch which you shake and it produces a bright white light for about ten minutes when you shake it again. No batteries in that one. It, was a gimme at a gas station ;-) I look at the extremely costly torches on sale and wonder what they do that mine don't for the money.

·
Premium Member
15,053 Posts
The Cree LEDs on Ebay are about 20% the cost in a sporting goods store. They cast a square beam that is incredibly bright. At 2 miles (my place to the county road) the flashlight looks like an arc welder working but it runs on three C size batteries. Totally amazing!!

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
The Cree LEDs on Ebay are about 20% the cost in a sporting goods store. They cast a square beam that is incredibly bright. At 2 miles (my place to the county road) the flashlight looks like an arc welder working but it runs on three C size batteries. Totally amazing!!
If I need that type of lighting I have a couple of hand lamps which run off of a 12v lithium battery which fits in my pocket. Use these mainly for shooting foxes. Tempted to upgrade those to LED models but brightness is sometimes a burden when lamping foxes, in fact a dimmer switch can be useful.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Two years ago I was in my local nail/screw/bolt supplier and on the service area he had a large box of small LED torches for the equivalent of $3 each . I purchased five there and then, they are small and light enough to hold in your teeth. One in my Land Rover, One in my hunting bag. One in my wifes car and one in our kitchen right near the circuit breaker box in case the lights go out. They have never needed any new batteries since I purchased them. I also have an LED torch which you shake and it produces a bright white light for about ten minutes when you shake it again. No batteries in that one. It, was a gimme at a gas station ;-) I look at the extremely costly torches on sale and wonder what they do that mine don't for the money.
Inexpensive flashlights have their place. I've got more than a few $5 lights that do great for small places (got a few LED lanterns to). However there is a place for the high dollar lights. I've got a Nitecore p12 that shoots 1000 lumens out and its basically a six inch pocket spot light. That thing lights up the woods like crazy.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Years ago, before I gave much thought to such things(young and bullet proof) I fished till dark and then had to navigate my way for about a half mile of very thick river bottom on a very dark night with no light except a bic lighter which is a very poor substitute. After that I never was without a light. They are in every vehicle, boat, fishing bag or vest, pack, camper and room of the house. I am a Mag Light lover but there are a lot of very good and not too expensive lights out there now.
I just introduced my year and a half old grand daughter to her first flashlight last week, she loves it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Years ago, before I gave much thought to such things(young and bullet proof) I fished till dark and then had to navigate my way for about a half mile of very thick river bottom on a very dark night with no light except a bic lighter which is a very poor substitute. After that I never was without a light. They are in every vehicle, boat, fishing bag or vest, pack, camper and room of the house. I am a Mag Light lover but there are a lot of very good and not too expensive lights out there now.
I just introduced my year and a half old grand daughter to her first flashlight last week, she loves it.
Good to see Mag-light finally step up its game with the 600 lumen LED versions. China keep kicking our arse when it comes to affordable lights.

Reactions: JigMaster

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Ya Walt, it is good that Mag Light went LED. I still have my original 5-D cell incandescent model under the seat of my pickup, it's still a good light and a better persuader.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I carried a 2 AA maglight around for years. No more. I still have a "grunch" of them in inventory though. Technology lost is all they are now. I won't need one for along time though. Or parts and batteries. All made in the United States of America of all places.

I can't light up the moon. I can't shine a bright light into a pilots eyes. Good enough to find my way to the toilet or gun locker.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
198 Posts
Some time around 2005 I bought what must now be a collector's item. It was made by Pentagonlight, and, at the time, was perhaps the only LED tac light available. It was certainly the only one I'd found. It's h*ll for stout, will burn a hole in armor plate at 200 yds, and I've never been without it since.

Unfortunately, a couple of years after I bought it, Pentagonlight went out of business. SureFire sued them for patent infringement and for falsely claiming to be made entirely in the USA. Pentagonlight didn't fight the suit, so far as I know; they just closed up and disappeared.

Too bad all 'round.

Best,

Trad A. Non

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sus, those lights that you shake are kinda cool. When I was younger I practiced a lot to use them and never went blind. I do need glasses now. Perhaps if I had not practiced to use those lights so much then I would see better now.

Reactions: JigMaster

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Way back long time ago I had the 'poaching light'. FIVE D batteries. Now I have about a 2 D cell LED that I bet gives as much light as the BIG one from days ago. Only cost $14 and Im sure the big one was more than that back in the late 50s, that is now about$80 or more.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Been carrying Surefire lights since the early 90s with my first 6P. Got a bunch of them with me and even attached to my weapons and helmet down range.

CD

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Surefire 6P is hard to beat. Now, of many, my favorite is a Surefire E2D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts