Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Thompson Contender Carbine in 17 Rem with 21 inch barrel that I use for Coyote calling.Do any of you guys have any good loads for a 25 Gr bullet?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
How's that .17 work on coyotes? Sounds interesting....

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I can't help you with the .17 Remington loads, but I do know that the .17 Mach IV works very well on coyotes. I've only taken 3 this winter, out to about 225yds, but it drops them as well as the larger varmint rounds. The .17 Mach IV out of a 20 in TC Carbine barrel makes very near the same velocity as the .17 Remington, if there is any difference at all, and burns a less powder and throat. I've had very good luck in my early experimentation with the 25gr Bergers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
17 rem

The 17 Rem works great on Coyotes and it is a fur friendly bullet.I only use 25 grainers and get about 4000 FPS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMR 4320 is a favorite powder of mine. Also have had good results with Vihta N-135, H 414, and Varget. Berger 25 grain non-mef bullets are what you want.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yote, I have had my T/C .17 Rem Carbine for about 12 years. I have not found the optimum yet, but I can tell you that AA 2460 and H-335 are vastly erratic over a chronograph( after getting bad velocities and accuracy with medium powders I stashed it in the back of the safe for a few years). After I got over my dislike with the little P.I.T.A., I have recently continued my experimentation with it. I am trying H-380 now with Mag and Reg. primers and shooting sub MOA at 3700fps. Not as fast as I would like it to be, but the coyotes I shoot don't care how fast that pill travels. So far I am under the impression that my gun does not like partial loading densities. The fuller the case, the closer the numbers over the Chrono. I am getting ready to try IMR4320 as history suggests and will advise with my findings. When I lived in S. New Mexico, even with the erratic ammo, I found the .17 to be extremely devastating on coyotes. But then again, you don't need MOA when you call them up into your lap.

Allen F. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts