Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
The 130 grain speer is one of two bullets I use in the 30/30. As far as use on game this bullet is superb! Penetration is good and usually complete, and this is for antelope and mule deer. No I don't use this bullet or cartridge on elk there are much better choices. The other 30/30 bullet is the Speer 110 grain hollow point. Very soft and desructive!!!!!!!!!!!! My load for the 130 is 36 grains of Re15 with under one inch groups at 100 yards. The rifle is a 1956 vintage model 64 deluxe (like new) that my lovely and talented wife gave to me for Christmas a couple of years ago. These two bullets were designed by Speer to work at the velocity range of the 30/30, which is why they work VERY WELL.

· Registered
82 Posts
The beauty of a lever action besides the way they carry so nicely in one hand is the way they tell you your load is to much. I worked up to 39 grains of Re15 whereupon the lever opened rather hard. So you quit and back off on your load, chances are the gun will shoot better a couple of grains lower anyway. And i've shot two antelope that went down like you dropped asafe on them. The mule deer (3) all went a little ways, but dropped in sight probably under 50 yards. Ranges go from 200+ down to 40 yards. Have'nt recovered one yet and I do dig around for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.