Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in the house for something else I had lost and found 500 Winchester Large Pistol Primers that I bought new 40 years ago.

They have been kept in a house with heat and air in an open topped cardboard box in a closet.

Will they still be ok to use ?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
The past 40 years have probably not been as hard on your primers as they have been on me. If they look good, (perhaps smell good?), load some in otherwise empty brass and see how they compare as to report and flash with new primers. Primers can be dangerous, so carefully.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Should be no problem. I also have several thousand of different sizes bought back in the 70's that I use on a regular basis. And if I buy newer stock on sale I just rotate what I have.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,166 Posts
They should be fine, as Jackie said. He and I live in the desert, and you live where it's really humid.

Load a few of those primers in empty brass pieces and see if they still go off.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I still use 50 year old Herter's primers. I have never had a misfire with one. I have gotten better groups with identical loads using 35 yo BR2 primers (maybe 0.20 inch) in a couple of rifles. I am guessing I would have gotten best loads with those primers anyway.

During quarantine I have loaded a ton of comparative loads using the old Herter's vs. other brands and even some brand new primers. It will probably take me a year or better to give a comprehensive comparison. I am down to less than 2K of them, and am not looking forward to having to buy all new. :D

Joel

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Still have some 30+ year old primers of various makes, thats used in load workups. Guess I haven't given 'em a second thought, never a misfire or anything that would suggest poor performance.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Yes, it should be fine. Primers don't deteriorate spontaneously at the rate powder does. They can last a lifetime pretty easily. This assumes they haven't gotten wet or otherwise been contaminated.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,799 Posts
Used up the last of the LR primers in wooden trays with no separation panels between them. Think they were from about the '70's vintage. No misfires. Stored in hallway pantry at room temperatures.

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
In 1968, I bought 20,000 old Western, small pistol with the round crown in wooden trays. I used the last of them in about 1997 in K-Hornets and Fireballs. Never a problem but I had to modify the primer seater for the round crown.

Some new shooters may have never seen a round-crown primer-

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
Those primers are no good! Don't use them! I'll send you my address so you can send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those primers are no good! Don't use them! I'll send you my address so you can send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly.
Thanks so much for your Kind and Altruistic offer .

I will do that,Make sure that you keep a close eye on your Mailbox !

I also have a nice Bridge to sell and will send details and price along with the Primers.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I was given a box of remington small pistol primers, estimated to be from ~ 1965, a half doz years ago. some were rusty, so I threw them out. Of the remainder, they were about 20% duds. The rest has varying brisance.

Certainly don't want to use them as my self-defense loads!

·
Registered
298 Posts
If a primer has been exposed to moisture they are likely not at "peak" performance. Oils don't seem to cause problems although I have not used them in my guns that way. I made some igniters using primers, ball powder and oil so I could compress the powder and even after sitting saturated in oil for several days they all fired just fine. They did a fine job of igniting the material I was working with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If they perform well, at todays prices, you made a good investment.

I have a hard time staying away from farm auctions. I've bought a lot for cheap.
Rarely have I had a problem.
I am much more reluctant to use old powder.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Well I have some wood tray primers that came to me from a friend who passed on way before what from an earthly stand point seemed his time.

However, I loaded up a group and went to the shot and every one went off with a LOUD report fire out the end of the barrel. Loaded up some banger loads and they again worked fine.

I can vaguely remember seeing wood trays of primers as a kid, but when I began handloading in the 60s or very early 70s, everything was in plastic trays.

As the posts above have said, if they look good give them a try. At least in test cartridges without powder or bullet if your in doubt.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I have some primers from back before primers were invented. All this time they were stored floating underwater in a dry tank. They shoot fine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts