Shooters Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
Was going to say: "no problem if they were stored right over the years".....

But realized that while I have used some seriously old azz primers (like wooden trays, dome shaped primers)....I never used them "for serious".

Fine with me for practice/range use...but never really trusted them for anyting serious...like a scored match,$$$ big game hunt,or anything with folks looking over my shoulder.

Will use the old stuff....just don't trust them when the chips are down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm using some CCI primers I bought 50+ years ago and they work fine. Smokeless powder, on the other hand, does not have as long a shelf life - maybe 20 years.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
They may be ok.

But let us put this into perspective. You have $15 worth of primers. Your going to spend $50+ on bullets, $50+ for powder and lots of hours of your time. doesn't sound like you reload that much, just dump the old ones and get a few boxes of fresh.

Just thoughts from a cheap reloader.

If you really want to have some fun....give them to another guy; let him waste his time.

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
maybe 20 years.
That means I don't have any viable powder in my magazine. :eek: I'm shooting powder bought surplus in 1959, but some of it HAS gone bad. If its dark and glossy and smells like ether, it's good. I have many gallon cans of it.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Stretch, what is the deal of floating underwater in a dry tank? Guess its something I haven't heard of before.
Just having fun, Monty. My policy is: "Always lighten up when the subject of primers is the topic"<-- ok, ok that's just having fun too) :)D)

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Just having fun, Monty. My policy is: "Always lighten up when the subject of primers is the topic"<-- ok, ok that's just having fun too) :)D)
Was wondering after I posted if that was the case!:confused:

Then I thought that crazy Stretch may be worried about fire and it may be a way to lessen the effect.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,453 Posts
I was looking in the house for something else I had lost and found 500 Winchester Large Pistol Primers that I bought new 40 years ago.

They have been kept in a house with heat and air in an open topped cardboard box in a closet.

Will they still be ok to use ?
I'll go out on a mighty big limb and stay close to the tree and say "Yes, these primers will all go bang."

Primers nor powder (esepsecially 61 year old powder) don't last very long at my house. Yes I have some in one pound tins, but mostly for the tin, not the contents and surely none in cardboard drums or "cans" except empties that are on display for conversation.

While at my sister's a while back my BIL and I were going through his Uncle's resources in a room off the garage. I found a 1/3 full 25 pound (coulda been 20) cardboard drum of 4895 with a pint jar in it for "dipping". It wasn't brown and dusty but was oily feeling, clumping and had no odor at all. It was promptly spread on their lawn after discussing its vitality and volatility on this forum.

Uncle's primers (large and small rifle, large and small pistol) were stored in a metal cabinet with his selection of Herters brass, dies and a cornucopia of old bullets. We used some of the old primers (say 200?) to load 22-250's and to my knowledge they all went bang. Davey got some new powder and has been using the stock of primers right along without any complaints. As he doesn't load for pistols, I got those primers (1000 of each) and they were promptly used for plinking loads and none of them failed.

So, from this reloader's perspective, yes those primers are Ok to use.

RJ

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
Ribbonstone said-
Will use the old stuff....just don't trust them when the chips are down.
I've shot literally thousands of charging bull ground squirrels, withstood rockchuck frontal assaults and fought off suicide attacks by starving jack rabbits with that big case of Western #1 1/2 IMPROVED primers in the wooden trays.

I wouldn't use them in my pocket gun, though. ;)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I took my wife to the lading shed the other day to check on some LR primers. I found 4x1000 I didnt know I had. they are labelled 6/2003, just youngsters. I did not label price, darn it. When I bought them we got supposedly at wholesale and no hazmat fees thru the claybird supplier at the shooting club. They still buy from the same supplier but I no longer am a member and they cut us dropouts off of the ability to order powder/shot, primers, darn it.

I told her they are probably worth $150. that got me to thinking/looking. How much is all that stuff worth, or would it cost to replace??

·
Registered
44 Posts
It all comes down to how the primers were stored. High temperatures and humidity wreak havoc.

I keep my open primers in Tupperware containers. By 'open' I mean 5 trays of 100 or less, still in their original trays and sleeves. All bulk primers are vacuum sealed in a food sealer for storage in a cool, dark area.

I have primers from 1964 that were stored in Tupperware containers in a controlled environment with zero difference in primer or loaded round performance.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I have to agree with Flutedchamber. I just used 175 Alcan small rifle primers to charge some 5.56mm brass for fireforming into 223 Ackley Imp. They all went bang. I inherited these from my father in law who passed in 2014. He stated that he bought these from Herters back in the mid 60,s. I knew they were stored properly and never had a failure. So I say use those old primers also.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The only concern I would have is if they are old enough to have the rounded bottom on the cup. They should be used with a cupped priming rod and not the flat ones we use today. I think I still have one in a junk box somewhere.

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
A seating rod can be made for round-crown primers from a flat one with an electric drill to turn it and a dremel tool to grind the radius. It takes very few minutes with a small stone.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I know it's not the right thread for this, but I'm having a hard time posting in the Technical issues forum and thread.

Is anyone else seeing large, overlapping circles running down the page and covering a portion of each post?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,453 Posts
Nope

·
Registered
355 Posts
They should be good ,Primers is the last thing to go. Like was stated load some in the case with out anything and test them from different boxes ,That is if you have more then one brick. If it is just one brick test just a few and if they all go off .Use them. If still not sure just full load some rounds and test them and they still work good , You are good to go .

21 - 37 of 37 Posts