Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Panther DPMS A-15. It has been set up for benchrest comps, and I would like to know if anyone has any first hand experience with these. I am wondering if the price is a steal for a good rifle, or high for a boat paddle.:confused:

Any advice, info or just comments would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
That price might or might not be a steal. Since it is not known to me, I won't even hazard a remote guess. Besides, prices vary with your location and the condition of the gun. Only someone who can inspect it can put a price certain on it. Same as any other used gun. Other members are welcome to guess, but we can't do appraisals here because of the lack of hands-on contact. Your best bet for a ballpark estimate is to find similar guns on Gunbroker or one of the other auction sites and see what they've actually sold for recently?

DPMS receivers are a common platform for AR family guns, and I've never heard anything generic against them.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
They are decent rifles. I have built quite a few rifles on DPMS lowers, uppers, and LPKs and one or two DPMS barrels. I have no complaints.
And quite a few of your custom AR builders use DPMS parts. There is a group of people on AR15.com who jump in to bash DPMS products whenever they have the chance but I seriously doubt they have any actual first hand experience with them. You know the type, if it's not Colt and overpriced it is crap.
I find it very funny when some of the DPMS haters rant about DPMS parts and then name one of the custom builders as makers of excellent firearms when I know for a fact that several of them use DPMS parts in their custom builds. None use DPMS barrels because they are after all, production grade barrels, but there is not a darned thing wrong with their parts or firearms. YOu did not mention a price so that is hard to say if your particular rifle is worth it or not, but I would say this, if you are considering this rifle as a true match grade rifle for serious competition, you had better not get your hopes up on winning any BR matches with a DPMS barrel. They are good enough for what they are, but if you want to win you had better be using one of the real match grade barrels like Lilja, Pac-Nor, or others of that ilk, not production grade rifles using production grade barrels. A true super match SS Pac-Nor barrel will easily run you $500 alone, and that is just the barrel, bolt, and barrel extension.
I would guess a DPMS match barrel would be capable of 1/2 to 1 MOA accuracy, but that will be good for a last place finish if in a real BR competition. To even be serious about doing that you are going to have to have at worst a 1/4 MOA barrel and do some standard tuning such as truing the front of the receiver as well as a lot better trigger, which can run you around $300 for the trigger alone, things and parts you will not find on any production grade firearm even if they are calling it a bench rest match rifle.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. I will have to see if the barrel is original or upgraded. the guy wants a grand for the rifle, and the leupold scope on it is a VX-II 4x12x50. That is about a 400 or 500 dollar scope I think, so it may be worth it to tinker with. Tax money, you know.?.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Why is this rifle up for sale? Is the owner broke or is the rifle worn out? I still own my NM AR15 and I just keep replacing worn out stuff, mainly the gas tube.

See if you can take it out the range and try it, that will be the biggest factor before I shell out a bunch of money on a rifle such as this one. What is the price for this? Gunbroker has Panthers in various configuration NIB for $800 to $1,300

Jerry

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Have a guy here with a NIB never fired DPMS M-4 he wants to sell me for $900. Flat top with no rear sight installed but has a front sight installed. I saw where they are going for about $900 brand new but I still dont feel like I have enough info to reach for my wallet. Like you guys said, need more info to establish value.

·
Registered
170 Posts
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=54583

Here is a thread about the DPMS lo pro classic that I have. Great out of the box accuracy, nowhere good enough to win a bench rest match, but good enough for my needs. If I were to work up some hand loads, free float the barrel and change the factory trigger, I MIGHT be able to shrink the groups a little. DPMS makes a good rifle despite what the detractors on AR15.com say. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have a guy here with a NIB never fired DPMS M-4 he wants to sell me for $900. Flat top with no rear sight installed but has a front sight installed. I saw where they are going for about $900 brand new but I still dont feel like I have enough info to reach for my wallet. Like you guys said, need more info to establish value.

That seems a little high to me. If you want an M4 clone, you can't beat the Spike's tactical LE. Use the arfcom promo code and save, I think, 5%. Spike's is great quality with great customer service. It just depends on what you want and what you want to do with it.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
That seems a little high to me. If you want an M4 clone, you can't beat the Spike's tactical LE. Use the arfcom promo code and save, I think, 5%. Spike's is great quality with great customer service. It just depends on what you want and what you want to do with it.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php

That is a better deal than what this guy is offering. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
thanks for the info. I will have to see if the barrel is original or upgraded. the guy wants a grand for the rifle, and the leupold scope on it is a VX-II 4x12x50. That is about a 400 or 500 dollar scope I think, so it may be worth it to tinker with. Tax money, you know.?.
I purchased (new) a DPMS hvy barrel (.9 inch) 223 in stainless a little while ago all box stock and it will not win matches but consistantly shoots under an inch at 100 sometimes much less depending on me or the bullets I use.

A DPMS sporter new around here will run around 1k a heavy barrel around 900, all depending on options.

If the guy is offering to sell you a DPMS WITH the Leopold for $ 1,000 I'd say it's a good deal.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Local dealer has been selling the DPMS rifles priced from $500 to $1100 depending upon model. Only way to compare would be getting the exact model number for comparison. That $500 pricing was for there cheapest model that normally MSRP of $750. Seems he's working his way out from under an overstock position.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you guys are the awesomest!! Thanks for the info, and help. Think I am going to buy it pending performance.:D:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is a better deal than what this guy is offering. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.
I am very happy with the rifle I have from Spike's. I would have bought the LE instead of the one with the cold hammer forged barrel, but it was ordered and on it's way when the LE was released. Right now spike's is the most bang for the buck deal.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update.

ok, so I didn't buy the a-15. I got a much better deal on a rifle I have actually wanted for some time now (the caliber anyway). Bought a savage model 110 7mm. stole it at $250.00 in excellent condition. the fellow doesn't like bolt actions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts