Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Simmons Blazer 3-9x40mm. It's probably 12-13 years old. I haven't had any issues with it and have shot plenty of deer with it. Is there any reason I should consider getting a different scope? Am I missing out on something I don't know about? If I replaced it, I'd be looking at something in the $100 range - like the BARSKA 3-12-50mm Huntmaster Pro or the Bushnell Dusk and Dawn. Will it be a significant upgrade. TY.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,023 Posts
If it works, don't fix it!

For your stated price range, think you'd be money ahead to stick with what you've got. Also, considering the length of time it has been used with no problems, why change?

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Other than a mind-set type reason (makes you feel better, the compext reticles you think you might actually use, the clean unscarred look, etc.) but no good reason to abandon what's been working for you.

True...old scopes do tend to die sooner or latter.....so do new scopes. Odds are better for the new scope ONLY after it's been used enough to become an old scope (reguardless of price,gotta get throught the inital period where some fault in manufacturing would show up before it actually earned some trust).

If you want to...go ahead...just don't toss the old one.

Usually (at least with me) a new scope without a new rifle starts a "scope cascade". End up swapping 2 or 3 scopes. Thinking of a "better" use for the taken off scope on a different rifle...and that take off on to another rifle...etc.

But some...which today seem unsuited...have been at home on rifles for +30 years. I don't find it a fault, find that to mean that I got the combination right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only reason I buy a new scope is either the old scope broke or I've learned to take advantage of some new feature. If you're happy with what you've got and it works for you then why buy something new. It's a coin toss as to whether a current $100 dollar scope is as good as an older one. Current low end scopes seem to have improved in regards to glass but their tube and controls don't seem to be as good.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: CCAguns

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Based on my experience with Simmons scopes, I think you ought to buy a lottery ticket since yours has lasted this long.

Take Tnhunters advice on the Sig scope. I have two of them and had zero problems with either. Good scopes for the bucks. Pun intended!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'm with Kdub.

If it ain't broke and you like it...stay with it.

I've thrown away Simmons scope after just a few shots. Tasco & Simmons = recycle. You obviously got the top .1% of them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yep! If it aint broke don't try to fix it, you'll either break it or the new one and then when you put the old one back on it'll break.
You have one that works now. When it breaks you will have saved enough to buy a better scope.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I've never owned one of those Sig scopes but looked at them, they pretty darn good for the price.
I have quite a few of the newer generation Bushnell scopes and think there a great scope for the money as well, have not had a single issue with them yet.
Either one of them would be a nice upgrade from your Simmons.
Here's the Bushnell.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/bushne...tion=3-x&_iv_parent-maximum-magnification=9-x

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to Shooters Forum, FP247. :)

You are among the few who haven't had problems with the least expensive Simmons scopes, so consider yourself lucky and stick with it until you have a pressing "need" for something better.

As the guys above indicated, replacing a cheap working scope with a cheap new scope isn't really a worthwhile endeavor. Now, when you want a scope that is markedly better than the one you have now, and are willing to spend what those cost, there are certainly much better pieces of glass you can put on your rifle.

Hope to see you around the forum.

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Always a trade off, even replacing it with a high price super- scope may not work out better. Bang--hit---critter drops....what more is it suppose to do?

Not opposed to a new scope....just not really sure problem solving where there is no problem works out any better than "even".

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I tried to shake apart a Simmons I picked up at a garage sale for $10. I slapped it on my 9.3 X 62. It outlasted me. :D

I swapped it out when my Leupold got back from warranty. Haven't shot it yet...New recoil pad too. I may replace out an old K4 I have on a 22 with the simmons. Haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you had a .22 rifle that needed a good reliable scope, you could move it over there (hand me down), and then nothing would be wasted.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you had a .22 rifle that needed a good reliable scope, you could move it over there (hand me down), and then nothing would be wasted.
You want to pay me the $10 plus shipping I have in the Simmons, I will be happy to send it to you. I've had that K4 since I was a kid in the early 60's, so it's not going anywhere. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
What caliber rifle?

Generally speaking, in my experience, you can get away with cheap scopes on lighter caliber rifles, although there are exceptions to this too.

I had a friend once who got incredible continued accuracy with a 7mm Rem magnum topped with a cheap 3x9 Bushnell Banner.

However, the cheap Chinese scopes, as a general rule, do well in calibers under .308, but for the high pressure, bigger bore calibers, and magnums throwing heavy bullets at high velocity, the heavy recoil takes a toll on the weaker internal parts of the cheaper scopes.

Nowadays, the glass is great in almost all scopes, and cheap scope glass is as good or better than the best scopes of yesteryear. I have a vintage top quality Redfield on a collector Winchester, and it is not as clear as a Simmons 4x 12 I have on my CZ-22LR.

But the internal mechanisms are another matter. Most cheap variables use rubber moldings to allow adjustments of the internal tube, and with age deterioration and heavy recoil problems do occur.

The high dollar scopes have heavy, precise metal internal adjustment parts, and super grade HD glass.

If you have a high pressure, heavy caliber rifle, its best to lay out more money for a better scope if you can pull it off. If not, at least go for a cheaper Burris, Nikon, high level Bushnell, or Sig or Vortex.

Leave your old reliable Simmons on your rifle until you save your pennies for a better scope. Don't change what is working well for what might not work well until you can assure yourself you are buying better than what you presently have on your shooting stick.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
150.00 will get you a much better scope today than it did 10 years ago, just sayin. If you have cheap scope that's 10 years old and replace it with another cheap scope there's a good chance that you will get a much clearer scope with better adjustments if you do a little research before buying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts