Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm 15 I have to start saving up for a car and all of that stuff, but I was wandering if there are any cool old rifles I should look for once I get enough money for them. Even though in all honesty I don't need one since I live down here in VA and the only game I hunt is deer, squirrels, and turkey, but I just love guns :D (and the big grin smiley face). I like to an eye open for a Remington 788, and man are those things accurate. Another is a classic Remington Model 8/81 and it would make my day if it was in really good condition and chambered in 35 Rem. or .300 Savage so I wouldn't have to spend a truck load of money buying ammo. But are there any other cool rifles that are no longer in production that I should look out for? I'd prefer if ya'll would tell me about rifles that you can find that cost less than $700 (I know the Models 8/81 & 788 can cost more but I can find them for less too).

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Model 788s are going up in price but I still see them regularly for under $500. Hard to believe for a rifle costing about $100 new.

If you are looking at collectable rifles that will appreciate, I'd consider pre'64 Model 70s, matter of fact any early Winchester. In the last two years I bought several that were reasonable.

Others I'd consider are Marlin and Savage levers. The Savage M99s are a great rifle and were chambered for many different rounds. They used to be dirt cheap but the prices have been ratching up with no end in sight.

There are lots of other good ones to invest in, but those listed have the most appeal to me.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Everyone likes what they like. If I was to buy an older worthwhile rifle, it would not be a M788 in any chambering. Yes they are known for their accuracy, but they are also rear locking with stamped metal pieces and a birch wood stock and simply not my idea of a worthwhile older "classic" rifle. You didn't mention specifically what you were wanting the rifle for, but for the sake of discussion, I'll look to big game rifles. There are any number of nice older M700s, both ADL & BDL models that are twice the rifle the 788 ever was and that also can be found in mint condition, if you look hard enough. I will make mention here, that I'd want one made after 1982 that has a safety that allows the bolt to be opened with the safety on. Thus, allowing loading and unloading to be done with the rifle on SAFE.

Also, there are a lot of fine older Marlin rifles that might fit that description. Some of the older ('50s) waffle top receiver guns, especially those left untapped, continue to grow in value and can be found for $350-$600 in mint condition. Two other Marlin models I'd look into would be the Marlin Model .375 (Win) made from about 1980-1985 and the Marlin 336ER (.356 Win) made from about 1984 to 1986. These were made in VERY limited numbers with about 16,000 .375s being produced altogether and only 2,441 .356s made. Both can be found at $500-$700 in very good to excellent condition and their values continue to increase. I bought one of each in the last 6 months, actually. These 1980s Marlins may well be the best rifles they ever produced. Every Marlin I've owned from that era was finished very well and had a nice smooth working action. Blue is also first-rate. I can see the difference in blue quality between an old, well-worn 1980 Marlin .444 as compared to a like new 2006 Marlin 1895 from across the room. Need I tell you which has the nicer blue....lol.

If this had been a few years ago, I could have looked like a genious by telling you to grab a nice M88 in any chambering. Their prices have skyrocketed in the last 3-4 years. A mint M88 in .358 Win will bring more $$ today than an original Deluxe M71. The M100 Winchesters can still be purchased, mint, for $500+/- and that's a rifle that is also very enjoyable to hunt with. A Carbine version of either the M88 or M100 that you could find for under $700. would also be a great investment today. Another bolt gun would be old Husqvarnas and similar FN produced actions, such as Interarms. Their quality is matched, today, only by some very expensive new rifles.

As far as worthwhile inexpensive older rifles, the old Ted Williams series of bolt guns marketed by Sears were actually M70s in disguise. A Glenfield lever action 30/30 was made by Marlin, alongside their own 336 series in New Haven, CT. Both these rifles can be had for about 1/2 the cost of a mint name brand model and are literally the exact same guns.

Good luck with your search and enjoy the looking, I do!! :D

Added: I actually just picked up this mint 1980 Glenfield 30/30 for $295. It's been used so little (at all?) that there's not even the hint of a scratch in the loading gate. The Weaver 4X Marksman steel tube scope came with the rifle. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are any number of nice older M700s, both ADL & BDL models that are twice the rifle the 788 ever was and that also can be found in mint condition, if you look hard enough.
The only reason I didn't mention the Model 700 is because my grandpa bought one in the early to mid 60s and has had it ever since, it's in .243 and still shoots really good at 100 yds.

If you are looking at collectable rifles that will appreciate, I'd consider pre'64 Model 70s, matter of fact any early Winchester. In the last two years I bought several that were reasonable.
The reason I didn't consider the pre-64 Model 70 is because I thought they were way out there. The lowest one I've seen was like $900.

Thank you guys, some of the rifles ya'll mentioned I had never even heard of (Ted Williams series). Maybe one day I'll have at least one of those rifles.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
If your current list of guns, as shown in your signature, is what you've bought so far, I would strongly recommend looking into a bolt-action 22 rifle, of some kind. I'm partial to the Marlin 22's, but any of the bolt-actions are pretty good.

Learning to shoot really well, for many folks, includes hundreds of rounds of 22LR each year. Now, you may be at an age where you find 22's boring because they are not very powerful, but trust me when I tell the fundamentals of accurate shooting can and should be practiced with a decent 22 bolt-action. IMHO.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
The reason I didn't consider the pre-64 Model 70 is because I thought they were way out there. The lowest one I've seen was like $900.
The M70s I aquired have been a little more than 1/2 that amount. Could be a sign of the times. People needng cash and getting rid of things they normally wouldn't consider selling. All my buys have been through yard sales and finding ads in the local classifieds.

I agree with TNhunter, although I have a M788, I'd never pay $500 for even a mint one. Also like was mentioned the M700 is many times the rifle of the 788. Only ones I'd condsider would be the older one though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your current list of guns, as shown in your signature, is what you've bought so far, I would strongly recommend looking into a bolt-action 22 rifle, of some kind. I'm partial to the Marlin 22's, but any of the bolt-actions are pretty good.

Learning to shoot really well, for many folks, includes hundreds of rounds of 22LR each year. Now, you may be at an age where you find 22's boring because they are not very powerful, but trust me when I tell the fundamentals of accurate shooting can and should be practiced with a decent 22 bolt-action. IMHO.
Well Jim I did get a Winchester Wildcat 22 for my 12th B-Day and man does that thing shoot good. Quarter sized groups at 100 yards and dime sized at 50 w/ Blaser ammo (I'm talkin' 5-10 shot group). And it only cost $200 or so. And yeah I use other firearms as well such as a Browning BPS 20 gauge from 1987 (I'm the only who uses it).

·
Registered
604 Posts
Everyone likes what they like.

Good luck with your search and enjoy the looking, I do!! :D
+1. My list is endless...and growing, and I'm almost three times your age! I will tell you that if you come across a Winchester 88 in .358 Win or .284 Win, let me know, and I'll have a look.:D

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
A M700 in 6.5 mm mag would be a gun I would love to have myself, and if you like the 35 cals then it's big brother the 350 RM. I have a good friend who's first rifle was a 1968 X-mas gift from his parents. It's a Montgomery Wards Western Field ( Savage ) 30-30 DM bolt action with a 22 inch barrel. It's a really nice rifle for an older cheap rifle. His dad paid $67 for it back then and it has the original scope on it that his dad put on it. I took a nice 9 point buck in 2001 over in east Texas with it. Welcome to the forum !

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have a Winchester model 100 chambered in the 284 Win., its a nice little gun that is hard to find in that caliber. I too would like to find a model 88 in that chambering to match it. Had a chance to buy one recently but it was in piss poor shape, my 100 is mint so I want a 88 in the same condition. Big $ though if you find one, unless you get lucky enough to find someone that doesnt know what they have, thats how I got the 100, I paid a guy $350 for it, and looks like it has had less than a box of ammo through it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would keep a eye out for a Remington 700 Classic chambered in the 35 Whelen, had a chance to buy one the year they were the limited edition rifle for Remington. I let my dad talk me into a 30-06 and I have been kicking my self in the butt since then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A Savage model 99E Featherweight in the 250-3000, a great little gun and a wonderful chambering for deer, or if you could find one a 99 take down in the 250-3000 also.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Remington 141 went out of production about 50 years ago. They're often found in Pennsylvania shops for about $375. 35 Remington is most popular caliber I've observed.

TR

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Well Jim I did get a Winchester Wildcat 22 for my 12th B-Day and man does that thing shoot good. Quarter sized groups at 100 yards and dime sized at 50 w/ Blaser ammo (I'm talkin' 5-10 shot group). And it only cost $200 or so. And yeah I use other firearms as well such as a Browning BPS 20 gauge from 1987 (I'm the only who uses it).
Do you need to add the Wildcat to your tag line? :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Remington 660 or 600

Great rifle, had a few of them in .243, and 222.Cool guns and they shoot real well.Getting hard to find.
Randy

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
GunNut97,
I dont know if you have, but take a look at the Ruger Number 1. It's not a rifle for everyone as it's a single shot, falling block action, but they are beautiful rifles.
I have seen then costing $600-$900 used and new they run $900-$1200 but they are worth it. Also the Ruger Number 3. Those are out of production, but they are out there and run $500-$800 depending. It's the same action but a different look.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I switched my collection from old military rifles to old Rem700's. I just bought a '68 in 30.06 with only 2boxes of shells shot through it and never had a scope on it. I'm going monday to look at a 1979 varmint rifle in 243. Anyways, I set a date of when and what i want to buy. Like varmint rifles 1979 and older. Sporter rifles is tougher given the year i want,1962 or 63. Buy what you like or are into and enjoy your collection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I am being offered a .404 Jeffery, made by Jeffery, in good condition for $ 2400. Should I consider buying it at that price?

Regards.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,951 Posts
If I was to buy an older worthwhile rifle, it would not be a M788 in any chambering.
Hmmmmm. Something reliable, accurate and you don't have to worry about scratching the woodwoprk and possibly ruining it's resale value. I'd say that spells 788 right there.

RJ

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Great thread. Reading this I see a lot of guns I have owned, do own or would like to own. I regret getting rid of a lot of them. I do plan on getting me another M1 Garand, a piece of history that every gun collector should have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts