Shooters Forum banner

Any "soft" loads for a .444 Marlin w/ 240-Grainers?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Gowge 
#1 ·
I've got some soft-cast lead bullets, 240-grainers, for my ".42-60 CF"... which looks a LOT like a .444 Marlin... and I'd like some loads with muzzle velocities between 1200 and 1400 FPS for the side matches I shoot at the CAS events I attend.  Any suggestions?  I've got just about every powder ever made, so I'm wide open.  I've got a converted 336, with a 26-inch, full-octagon barrel, with a full-length magazine tube underneath, and a Marble tang sight.  Kind of my Steve McQueen/Tom Horn rig, I guess.

Anyway, any "slow" loads would be appreciated.

Thanks, as always.

Russ

#2 ·
I used to shoot 255 grain swc in my 45-70, using 15 grains of Unique with a bit of tissue on top to hold powder against the primer. Worked like a charm, had the recoil of a 22 rf, no noice, and was accurate. Pure heck on squirrels.
I found a new use for my old cases that were to well used for full house loads.
Jim

#5 ·
My mind was faulty when I quoted the soft load for the .444.
I used 16.2 gr. of Unique with a 240 BBSWC and got 1495 fps from a 17 3/4" Win. TR. I dont use fillers so the extreme spread was 116 fps.
The powder is burned when the bullet reaches the ports so it is not too loud.
A good plinking load.

#6 ·
Hodgdon's Reduced Loads For 444?

Russ, check the loads over at the Hodgdon Web Site. You can (safely) reduce H-4895 loads to 60% of the max loads listed. Read the summary on this link below:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php

While they don't list a "Youth" load for the 444, they do list the 30-30 and lots of others for comparison and they explain how to reduce their hunting loads of H-4895.

BTW, their hunting load with H-4895 is a compressed load, so there's lots of room to drop down and remain very safe... It's a slow-burn powder.

Should work great with cast bullets at much reduced velocity!

GOOD LUCK!

Russ said:
I've got some soft-cast lead bullets, 240-grainers, for my ".42-60 CF"... which looks a LOT like a .444 Marlin... and I'd like some loads with muzzle velocities between 1200 and 1400 FPS for the side matches I shoot at the CAS events I attend. *Any suggestions? *I've got just about every powder ever made, so I'm wide open. *I've got a converted 336, with a 26-inch, full-octagon barrel, with a full-length magazine tube underneath, and a Marble tang sight. *Kind of my Steve McQueen/Tom Horn rig, I guess.

Anyway, any "slow" loads would be appreciated.

Thanks, as always.

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.