Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought the new glock 29sf for may carry gun, but everyone tells me i could get in a real mess if i carry this gun? any thoughts are helpfull thanks to all. GLOCKMAN1064

·
Registered
128 Posts
at the distance you'd be most likely to use it, the 10mm would probably have a substantial over-penetration problem, not to mention the amount of practice it may take to shoot that heffer of a round proficiently.

·
Registered
70 Posts
10mm

The round and the weapon have NEVER proven to be that successful a carry or defensive handgun. As Browning Boy mentioned... over penetration of the round at "converstional distances" has been a major problem. The problem is that because of the tremendous "push and recoil" of the weapon....second and third hits are very difficult to accomplish consistently. Although the weapon and round are fun to shoot, unless you have a ton of time to devote to dry practice and an unlimited bank account to afford the ammo.....find another more suitable weapon for carry... Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glock 22 i carry as a 357 sig i enjoy shooting very much

i think i may stick to my Glock 22 i carry as a 357 sig , its very enjoyable to shoot also has impressive bullistics, my 10 mm this is my 3rd i have a 20 and this is my second 29 i can buy ammo 50 rounds of 180 grain jhp for 19.49 my sig 357 for 50 125 grain jhp 27.98 , my dad and i also reload as much as possible to keep cost down thanks for your thought and time Glockman1064

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The 10 mm works fine for carry - use light for caliber bullets. If you reload and are like me and think a good shoot is a good shoot and are not scared of reloads for self-defense then load some moderate 10 mm reloads. Where I live I want over penetration but in public there is self defense ammunition that woulod work fine. Here is a "low penetrating" round from double tap 135 grain Nosler http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=45

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I love Glock's, in all sizes. The 29 and 30 are probably my favorites. But keep in mind, I believe it is in Airzona, there is a man still in prison because he used "a weapon stronger than even the police have" in self defense.

www.haroldfishdefense.org there is his link

Nevermind, they finally let him out of jail.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
This case was not about the 10mm it was about self-defense and the scope of evidence and jury instructions. If it was about the firearm it was then as much about the
"hollowpoint bullets" so don't carry hollowpoints. I don't.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This case was not about the 10mm it was about self-defense and the scope of evidence and jury instructions. If it was about the firearm it was then as much about the
"hollowpoint bullets" so don't carry hollowpoints. I don't.
You're probably stuck with those restictions in California , but in Idaho we (and the cops) carry hollowpoints. The point is to stop the bad guy without overpenetation. Frag. self defense ammo costs a fortune and I believe some of it underpenetrates. I also shoot only handloads. I know several local officers and the prosecuter and it's a non-issue here. Most of my guns have never fired factory ammo. They might blow up in my face!;) But you gotta do what ya gotta do.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
You can and will be charged just as heavily for carrying FMJ's because they over penetrate and basically mame unless a direct head or heart shot. Carrying FMJ ammo is reckless.

·
Registered
153 Posts
10mm

I agree with rangeguy...I jumped on the 10mm with both feets when the Delta Elite came out. I am large and have been shooting .44s and .45s for years, but Never managed a three shot group on the range. It was always a 3 shot "string". And forget a "Mozambique". I tried hard and shot several boxes of ammo trying to learn to control it. When I gave up and went back to my Combat Commander .45acp it was like "I done died and gone to heaven."

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No law against hollow points here in kalifornia. I agree that it is not a good idea to over-penetrate around innocent people. I live in a place where there is no no one nearby that I could hit so I load non-expanding bullets with the biggest meplat. I was just making a point that the defendant was in as much trouble for his 10mm as he was for his hollow point bullets which were both non-issues as the case turned on jury instructions and the exclusion of evidence not on the 10mm or the hollow points. Bad judge at the root of it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just an old dinosaurs opinion but after my first choice 45ACP the 10 MM is my second choice. No matter what gun you have you need to be able to handle it and you need to be aware of your surroundings. You can do a through and through with most any good self defense gun so shot placement is is paramount and knowledge of what or who behind your target is equally important. If you can handle the gun and are confident in your marksmanship go for it.

Reactions: redhawk500

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Makes sense to me

·
Registered
497 Posts
Unlike most threads here at Shooters Forum, many of the responses to this thread are fraught with error and conjecture. :mad:

·
Registered
692 Posts
The 10mm is a great gun I had two, the Glock 20 and the 29. They are a great performing round with a whole lot of stopping power, it is the gun that the DEA has adopted, for that reason. Although most factory loads have been substantualy loaded down now, most are just a little hotter than a 40 S&W. If you are worried about over penatration get some hollow points, I dont know if they are still made but PMC Starfires work good. Corbon makes some good hot loads if you want the full 10mm effect.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I like my 10mm. I mostly use it camping, as it's large for concealed carry (for me). If a person would consider a 357 or 44 for concealed carry, I don't see why they wouldn't consider a 10mm auto. I see the main difference(s) there being platform preference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
10mm

Fremont....I would be interested in your explanation of your assertion that this thread contains alot of "errors and conjecture"...remembering that these threads represent the opinions of the poster....!!!! I was not aware that we had any "experts" on a given subject present on this forum....!!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Great if you want to shoot someone through glass or a car door.

I own a 1076 and would never consider CCWing it. Too big and too heavy. It would make a fine camping sidearm though. :)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts