Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Rem 7600 with plastic stock last year and have decided to shorten it like I have other Rems in last several years and fabricating a buttplate out of 11 gauge steel plate.

Just wondering if anyone ever saw such made up on a 7600 plastic stock? There is room for a cleaning rod inside, patches etc.

I have seen the ammo carriers with a pouch which is the closest thing I can think of.

Pics would be nice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have used The Allen zippered ammo carrier and really like them,
You can carry shells inside then or a Pocket Knife or hunting license ,small flashlight .
Another thing I like is by use of the stick on foam sheets you can buy In Walmart you can Make a cheekpiece to fit you exactly the Height and width that suits you best then cover it with the Zippered ammo carrier as it attaches to the stock with Velcro.
This one

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That one appears to be a right side mount only. I need to mount something on left side of stock as I shoot lefty. The stock has a molded in higher cheekpiece. On down below on that site they list a 9 round elastic one which is what I have on another Rem I shortened to stock on.

I did the lay out for two steel buttplates yesterday. I did some measurements and clamped up 1/8" plate in mill and drilled the mounting screw holes that came out perfect and they will allow me to get two plates with less wasted material. I took pics of the holes with the stock mounted on the plate and took a scribe and marked the plate where it needs to be cut and after I cut one out I will grind it to fit and post some pics of how I laid out the plate with the dimensions of the holes and how to locate them with a center drill in mill.

There are pilot holes in the stock for the screws already and I am going to use smaller screws at first and will be able to replace with bigger/longer ones in the future. The factory screws appear to be common dry wall screws.

The bad part about plastic stocks is that there is no glue that will adhere to them. I had a friend who was a stock designer at Remington and we were in frequent contact. I suggested to him they make stocks for youth/women with spacers so they could have it like they wanted and he added the spacers. He retired on a medical (heart problem) and we maintained contact and about four years ago he told me they were moving to Florida to help take care of his Mom and when he got settled he would get back in touch and I never heard another word from him so I am thinking the stress of moving etc took him out during the move.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I had a idea and talked myself out of it and started making up a steel buttplate out of 11 gauge steel yesterday and ground it to fit this AM after I got back from my 5 mile walk. I radiused the out edge on this one. The others were left square so I guess I will pull the others off and do them.

The length of pull is 11 7/8" on it now. Being a 270 I don't need a recoil pad. Note there is a plastic muzzle protector on it. You can get these on ebay and most sporter barrels take a 16MM cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts