Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered how everybody had done so far. I killed a 7 point in ML season on Nov. 6, but have tried for a good buck and have not had much luck yet. I missed a good buck about a week ago and checked my scope the next day and it was 10" high at 100 yards. Oh well thats how it goes sometimes.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Not much luck here at all. I saw two small bucks one day during ML season here in AL but passed on both of them. That's it so far. I hunted every afternoon of Thanksgiving week in MS and didn't see anything at all. Didn't see anything last Saturday afternoon here in AL either. I don't get to hunt much until right around Christmas, though... just on Saturdays until then.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
My wife tagged a small doe in Michigan, with the "Youth" load of H4895 and the 120gr Nosler BT bullet, in 30-'06. We saw very little up there this year and things in our home state of Indiana haven't been much better. :(

My wife and daughter were pretty happy in this picture, though. This is the first deer my wife dressed out by herself and she did a very good job.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.broom/TrailCamPics#5545343107348175202

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I glad some of you are getting some deer. I'm been waiting on a good'un and have let about 9 bucks from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 years old walk. The 7 point I killed with a muzzleloader I've wished I'd let him walk ever since. I used to kill 3 or 4 deer every season, but now try to get good deer. The buck I missed looked to be 4 1/2 or so.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,745 Posts
Been hunting in three different counties in Texas with not much to show for it. Heck of an acorn crop this year. We know there are plenty of deer around, just can't find them......

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crazydave, are there a lot of hogs where you hunt? Around here we don't have them yet. I said yet because about 6-8 miles away there is some hogs. We've never seen any sign here though.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hunting here in WV has been very slow. Opening day of rifle season fell on the full moon and it was warm. The rest of the week was rainy and windy. We huint on 700 acres and there are only other six hunters on the lease. The deer are there, we have the trail-cam photos to prove it. They seem to be moving and feeding after dark. HD1

·
Registered
127 Posts
i took 2 does in bow season & hunted the whole week of nov 15. saw 33 deer & 6 of them were bucks,1 was big six pnt that aint leagal on my club,another was 120"or so 8pnt that i almost shot the day after i screwed up & let a big 8pnt get away.i thought he would show back up so i let the 120" go,the big 8 had other plans i guess cause i didnt see him again.i rolled the dice & lost as usual.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,745 Posts
Went out tonight bowhunting and didn't see a thing. Almost got a big jackrabbit with the car on the way home, though.

The owner of the property I bowhunt had a deer get in his pool and drown last week. Hooves tore up the liner pretty good. I gave him a little grief about killing deer without a license, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Family got 4 ( 3 does and a small buck ) during Thanksgiving weekend - we passed on several small bucks and have spotted a couple of good ones to hunt around Christmas. Maybe we will get them, maybe not, but we definitely need to take some more does before the season ends.
So far, all have been loaded with fat - lots of acorns available and they are taking advantage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I shot a decent antelope at 435yards early in the season but passed and a couple of smaller bucks, and missed a nice 5 point white tail in the trees. Ended up shooting a doe 5min before end of shooting time closing day.

About 15 min after we shot the doe we wear dragging her back to the truck s spooked a nice buck out of the brush 15 yards from truck lol. Looked like he was laying there the whole time

·
Registered
846 Posts
Rifle season for me was as usual.I hunt public land on the Central Coast of Calif.I did see 1 good buck but did not get a shot.Been 3 years since I killed anything locally.South Dakota trip was great.I had doe tags.Of course this year big bucks were everywhere.My Brother killed a 27 1/2 in wide mule deer buck and my Son got a great whitetail.Very tall and heavy with split browtines.It was a bit over 170 inches total.Everyone else in the group killed nice Muley bucks.I got my does.I have 1 week left of blackpowder season left here loacally.Gonna get after it the rest of the week.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've gotten a doe and a small buck. ...Pretty good luck considering I've only been able to hunt 3 times so far this year.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My cousin texted me... he got another 8pt yesterday. So, that's two 8pt for him this year and 4 does (two with bow). I'm so far behind now :(

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I got lucky as well on the opener for Tennessee M/L and took a nice 8 pnt, likely a 3.5-4.5 yr old. Since then I've seen nothing but small bucks and does. I normally wait til the 2nd segment of gun to take a doe or two. That will start up again on the 18th.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
My wife tagged a small doe in Michigan, with the "Youth" load of H4895 and the 120gr Nosler BT bullet, in 30-'06. We saw very little up there this year and things in our home state of Indiana haven't been much better. :(

My wife and daughter were pretty happy in this picture, though. This is the first deer my wife dressed out by herself and she did a very good job.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.broom/TrailCamPics#5545343107348175202
Congrats to your wife! Sorry to hear you didn't fill a couple of more tags though. I got lucky day #2 of Indiana gun and took a big bodied 11 pnt. Not a huge rack by the standards there in Switzerland county (135") but a shooter for me for sure. Another nice 8 pnt was also taken by one of our group on the same morning. I was impressed with the .44's performance giving full penetration on a buck that had to be at least 240 lbs on the hoof at about 70 yds. (H&R Handi-Rifle, 240gr Win SP)

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hunting here in WV has been very slow. Opening day of rifle season fell on the full moon and it was warm. The rest of the week was rainy and windy. We hunt on 700 acres and there are only other six hunters on the lease. The deer are there, we have the trail-cam photos to prove it. They seem to be moving and feeding after dark. HD1
Same here in Ky. Got my 7-pointer on opening morning with my .308. Was considering hunting during our M/L December season, but the weather is predicted to be rainy/snowy, so I don't know. :confused:

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
The problem up in MI this fall was it was just cold enough for the RAIN...to make everything miserable and wet. If it had just been 5-10 degrees colder, we'd have had snow and I'm betting that would have improved the hunting, considerably.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts