Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what your experiences are with the 480. After looking over the loading data on the Hodgdon web site I see it moves the heavy 370gr bullets along at 1450-1500 fps, that's a pretty good clip with the 405gr not too far behind.

After recently shooting a Taurus Bull in 454 I've been thinking the same in a .480 might make a good fishing companion to replace my old .44

Anybody shooting this? How do you like it? How's the recoil, accuracy etc..

Eric

·
Banned
11 Posts
Hi EricG I like the 480 ruger the recoil is less than my 454 casull, accuracy is real good If i had the extra money I would get one I like the recoil and bigger lead it shoots I had a 454 tauras raging bull did not hold up to the recoil of the 454 could put out so I went to a ruger. good shooting and hunting

·
Registered
1 Posts
EricG, stick with the .454. I sold my Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 due to the mediocre performance, finicky nature and high cost of components. I couldn't touch .454 performance levels without stiff extraction and my accuracy varied wildly, anywhere from 1.5" - 5.5" at 50yds, with most groups hovering between 2.5" - 3.5" at 50yds. That was disappointing accuracy for a magnum revolver from a major manufacturer. Recoil was manageable at all performance levels.

I've never shot the Taurus .480 (or .454), but I expect the performance and accuracy issues to remain. Granted, Ruger marketed this as a more moderate performer than the .454 but you could surely download the .454 to achieve the same results. A .021" difference in bore diameter is not absolutely crucial.

Component selection and price is very poor compared to the .454; checkout the MidwayUSA website for a comparison of dies, bullets, and brass. And cast bullet prices show an even greater disparity; just take a look at what Beartooth charges for .480 bullets compared to similar .454 bullets. The volume simply isn't there to support prices as low as the .454.

With the market entry of the .500 S&W magnum, the .480 may simply wither away. And from my perspective, good riddance.

·
Banned
87 Posts
I shoot the 480 Ruger and to compare the 480 with a 454 is apples and oranges. The 480 was made to fit a nitch and it does so very well. It's not the moucho 454 or 500 S&W but it wasn't ment to be. I shoot a cast 400gr at 1150 fps with a Pucker factor {KO} of 31 and it's very easy to shoot. Granted the components are a little hadder to come by but it's only a couple of years old. Given time and the price will be right there with the rest of them. Now if you want to hammer your wrist and develope a twitch & jerk habit just as your pulling the trigger, get those big kick your butt revolvers but if you just want to have fun shooting and still kick butt on anything you will find to hunt in the states and most of Africa, go for the 480. Now all this is , is a matter of opinion and thats my opinion because I really like the 480 SRH Ruger.
Bob

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have 2 .480s and love them. One is a SRH, I also had Freedom Arms make a .480 cylinder for my FA83 .475. Get a couple of good bullet moulds and a pile of wheelweights and you don't have to worry about component cost. I have found that mine will equal or exceed what my Taurus .454 will do with the heavier bullets and safe loads. I like a 360-370 grain bullet over 25 grains H110 (can go 26 with my 360 WFN, YMMV), that gives about 1400 fps and 1.5" groups at 50 yards when the shooter does his part. I also use a 306gr LFN out of a Ballisticast mould over 12.8 grs HS6; that gives 2" groups at 25 yards and a very pleasant 1050 fps (and 25" penetration in wet newspaper). Enjoy.
Mark

·
Banned
584 Posts
.480 RUGER in a TARUS! The only way to go. I shoot 412 G from Hunters Supply. My partner and I both purchased the Tarus because of the performance. A real flat straight shooter for sure and NOBODY makes better grips for large guns then Tarus.:D

The problem with Ruger is the frame and build is not as solid as the Tarus. The heavier bullets makes this gun a good choice over a .454

Course, now I have my S&W 500 so I have a bigger toy :O)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts