Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
EricG, stick with the .454. I sold my Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 due to the mediocre performance, finicky nature and high cost of components. I couldn't touch .454 performance levels without stiff extraction and my accuracy varied wildly, anywhere from 1.5" - 5.5" at 50yds, with most groups hovering between 2.5" - 3.5" at 50yds. That was disappointing accuracy for a magnum revolver from a major manufacturer. Recoil was manageable at all performance levels.

I've never shot the Taurus .480 (or .454), but I expect the performance and accuracy issues to remain. Granted, Ruger marketed this as a more moderate performer than the .454 but you could surely download the .454 to achieve the same results. A .021" difference in bore diameter is not absolutely crucial.

Component selection and price is very poor compared to the .454; checkout the MidwayUSA website for a comparison of dies, bullets, and brass. And cast bullet prices show an even greater disparity; just take a look at what Beartooth charges for .480 bullets compared to similar .454 bullets. The volume simply isn't there to support prices as low as the .454.

With the market entry of the .500 S&W magnum, the .480 may simply wither away. And from my perspective, good riddance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts