Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Kel-Tec P3AT (.380). It's going to be my backup gun. Sounds as if it's extremely light, small, and very easily concealed in pocket or ankle.

Anyone in here own a Kel-Tec pistol?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Bought a Kel-Tec .32 for the wife. It has not had a single malfunction in several hundred rounds. She can hit a 6" target with ease at 30',perfectly acceptable for a gun of this type. It is very light and easy to carry. I drop it into my pocket and hardly know it is there.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,026 Posts
Got a little Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm. Nice little gun that hasn't misbehaved at all. Only thing is that HEAAVY trigger pull. I know all DOA's have a fairly stiff pull, but this is the heaviest I've ever used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kdub - I hear ya. I have NOT shot a DA pistol yet but have heard about it. That is the one thing I'm concerned about should I go with a DA gun. I'm so used to the pull of a 1911.

·
Super Moderator
9,518 Posts
Haven't pulled the trigger on the .380 version, but the .32 version uses a different trigger system than the large 9mm (or .40). In the .32, the cycle of the slide kind of 1/2 cocks the trigger, and the DA cycle is decently light....in the 9mm version, your trigger finger has to do the full cycle and it's much heavier. The .380 version uses the same trigger system as the .32, so it will be no where as hard as the 9mm's system.
--------
On the down side, becasue the slide performs 1/2 the spring compression, you can't just pull the trigger a second time to try and fire a primer that refused to light off (can do that with the 9mm vesion). Glock-ish system; they won't allow a second pull without slide manipulation either (and even if we KNOW better, the first thought everyone has when faced with a missfire is to yank the trigger again).

·
Super Moderator
9,518 Posts
More a ptich for good/prooven ammo than a condemnation of the sytem used...Glocks also won't second-strike without some slide work. For that matter, racking the slide on a 1911-type is the prefered method of dealing with a missfire...same drill works fine on all the others as well. It's just that DA shooters tend to give it another wack, that's probably a bad habit with any DA handgun other than a revolver.

I do have a 32 KelTec, and it hasn't given me any trouble. Will wait on the .380version...have been caught too many times by the first versions of a handgun having bugs that need working out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a hard-chromed P11 in 9mm and the factory .40S&W conversion. I love it. I do not find the trigger pull a problem. It's not any worse than many factory DA autos. Check out www.ktog.org for more info.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I USED to have a 40 cal. version. It was the biggest piece of crap I ever had the misfortune of buying. After two trips back to the factory and no improvement in the feeding it was traded off. Would not reliably feed any type of ammo that I tried. On the occasions that it would fire and cycle, the empty would come very near my head. Several times hitting me in the face, once drawing blood on my forehead!I seem to recall that one of the sights fell off once also.
I don't know about the 380 cal version, but I could not recommend a Kel Tec in good conscience to anyone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kel-Tec

Kel-Tec doesn't sell the p-40 40 caliber any more.
I have one and had a problem with the slide. It was repaired and mailed back to me without any cost to repair or shipping. As I understand it all Kel Tec products come with a lifetime guarantee. The 32 seems to have been a good handgun. My
experience has been very good so far.
I would not hesitate to buy from them. The .380 is a new model so it might be prudent to wait to see how well they do.

·
Banned
367 Posts
I have a P11 (9mm) that is solidly dependable. Wish it had the Glock grip though, but have put mild reloads and +P+ through it with not a single sneeze. I did treat it with Militec1 before use, but I use that on all my shooters, and tools and fishing reels too! (great stuff). I can hit as well with that as I can my SP101 with hot loads! good luck! Cant beat th price! th fish

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the:
P32
P11
P40
P357

And I am soon to get the P380.

These guns are not made nicely like a Colt, S&W, Para Ord, etc.
They are not that accurate.
They are not that much fun to shoot.

What they are, is cheap, reliable, and the most firepower for the weight.

If I didn't have a concealed carry permit, I wouldn't own one, but I pass up my nice heavy pistols and carry the light Kel-Tecs every day.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I owned a P32 for awhile before I sold it to a customs agent buddy who wanted it for a backup. It was solid and reliable. I put quite a few boxes of different factory ammo through it with no failures. A bit of research told me that in .32 the 60 grain Winchester Silvertips are very effective SD ammo. And it wasn't too expensive and shot well.

Unlike some other compacts, the KelTec grip and frame keep the web of your hand a good distance from the slide so you don't become a blood donor. The grip cuts on the slide are good and deep so the slide is very easy to grasp and pull back.

At SD distances of a few feet it is a fine gun and very manageable. I've owned a few .380s. In a gun as light as the P3AT I would think you might have to hold it with a really tight grip to be sure it cycled correctly. Anyone know for sure about that?

My P32 came with a Kel-Tec bright blue padded nylon zipper case about the size of a large wallet. Just for a fun experiment, with different friends who did not know I was carrying a gun, I would pull that case with gun in it out of my front pants pocket or jacket pocket along with small change, pen knife, etc, and lay it on the table, all the while talking. Or I would greet them at my front door, casually carrying the cased gun like I happened to be walking around the house with it, with the unzipped grip end facing away from them. It is so small and that case is so much like lots of other small nylon zipper cases that nobody ever noticed it or even guessed I was armed. I could have had the pistol out of the case and into my shooting hand in about one second.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Friend put a .32 Cor-Bon hollow-point through a hog's head with his Kel-Tec. Made a pretty impressive exit hole. I was real surprised to say the least.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I am carrying a P3AT in my hip pocket as I post this as a back up to my Glock G23. Great little gun and have tried several brands of ammo. All worked fine! I'm pretty high on KTs. Have owned a couple of P11s in the past and will probably own one again. The P3AT stays where its at. Too light and handy to let get away!

·
Banned
16 Posts
Smokey Lonesome said:
I'm looking to buy a Kel-Tec P3AT (.380). It's going to be my backup gun. Sounds as if it's extremely light, small, and very easily concealed in pocket or ankle.

Anyone in here own a Kel-Tec pistol?
i carry the 40 cal, great lil pistol
the long trigger pull is to prevent misfires since it has no safety

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
A friend had to return his P32 to the factory due to jamming problems. Now it can only be relied upon to feed FMJ-RN ammo. He's since returned his S&W M442 to the front pocket where it resided before the Kel-Tec experience.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pull-Bang!

There sure is a variety of experience with the Keltecs!

About the S&W442 -- Yeah, when all is said and done you gotta appreciate a revolver: pull-bang!, pull-bang!, pull-click? No big deal. Just keep pulling: pull-bang!, pull-bang!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts