Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or has anyone else had just about enough of all the gun rags and TV shows pushing tacticool gear down our throats at every turn. They've got just about everybody convinced that you cant check the mail without you're Glock anymore. It also seems like the guys who get the most into it are the guys who need it the least. Perhaps I lead a sheltered small town life but I can name you exactly 0 events in my life where I could reflect back and say "You know, if I would have been carrying/had my tricked out 870 under the bed/practiced clearing rooms/etc...this (insert event) wouldn't have happened". However, if I'm to believe what I hear I cannot function without the following:

1. Concealed pistol, 40 cal or better otherwise it'll never stop an assailant
2. 2 spare mags for #1
3. A revolver in an ankle holster incase #1 breaks down/runs out of ammo (probably better make sure it can fire shotshells AND pistol cartridges)
4. A couple speed loaders for #3
5. A tactical knife incase #1 and #3 are unavailable
6. The perfect pancake holster for #1
7. New tacticool khaki pants so that I dont print with #1 in #6
8. A vest to hold #2 and #4
9. Tricked out 870 for home defense
10. Speed loader(s) for #9 (incase the first 8 rounds aren't enough)
11. An AR platform or now aparently a SCAR
12. ACOG or similar for #11
13. Laser incase Im in close and the ACOG just isn't as effective
14. As much other stuff as I can fit on the rails of #11
15. As many spare mags as I can muster

That should just about cover it.....now I'm set for everything from walking the dog to engaging bad guys at 600m in my subdivision.....Maybe a little heavy on the sarcasm but you get the point.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not against responsible concealed carry or defending your family, but some of these guys need to get a little perspective. You've got guys in middle America that think they are going to be running counter terror strikes on Oakwood Ln. any minute now and they're invited to the party. I saw a show the other day that focused exclusively on personal defense ammunition choices when taking into account the need to take out someone behind the wheel of a car, which is pretty lucky because I've often caught myself wondering if the bullets I have could penetrate an engine block or if the tip was shaped in a manner that would cause excessive deflection on a windsheild.

These companies like Blackhawk and the like are just loving it, they dish new stuff out and we can't gobble it up fast enough without really thinking it through. We need it because they say we need it and we are all convinced that without it its only a matter of time before we'll be a victim.

I dont know, maybe its just me..............

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You forgot the tactical flashlight and night vision scope and goggles.

I look at these items in 2 ways. 1) Calling something "tactical" is a way to increase the selling price and 2) The items are designed to sell to "wanna be's" who either don't have the qualifications or the "guts" to join one of the elite units of the military that each of the branches have (ie people who want to play soldier, or cop, without the risks of being one)

·
Registered
722 Posts
It is just not you. Include me into that mix. You may lead a sheltered small town life, but I am in the burbs of a major metropolitan city. My Mossberg 500 loaded with 3" turkey shells will do just as much damage as that tricked out 870. In my honest opinion, if your local scum bag(s) invade your home, one shot will end the crap unless you pursue them. Once you fire back or shoot first, the gig is up and they will most likely be out the door and on the run, unless of course they are laying on your floor. First call 911 second call Service Master to come clean up the mess. Don't get me wrong, I am very careful and am not stupid, I have taken precautions to protect my family and my home, but I have no need for a tricked out AR or 870 or any of that other trash that is for sale.

I would imagine if you wanted to get someones attention while they are shooting at you with a 380 or 9mm , fire back at them a couple time with a hi-powered rifle. I would expect that things would settle down.

Just my honest opinion.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Just go to the rifle range and you will see who buys all that "Tactical" stuff. I have seen AR's with so many attachments that they must weigh 30 lbs. If he had to carry that for very long, he would loose his desire to be tactical. Our state police troop used to support a local prison for riot control and escape containment. We used to have guys who would grab a Thompson Submachine gun because it looked cool standing at a road block while holding one. Well, it didn't take long for the cool to wear off of those 12 lb blocks of steel and a bag full of magazines to wear off. They would be wanting to trade them for an AR but their were not many takers.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I'm not exactly crazy about the emphasis on so-called "tactical" weapons and equipment, but it's not exactly a new concept, it's just part of a new generation. Military weapons have a long and consistent history of replacing the current standard in firearms, so this is nothing new. I think the big difference is that 50 years ago, GI's returning from a war zone came home and went hunting or shooting just for fun. Today, far fewer people hunt, but the media would have us believe that the world is far more dangerous, so more people are motivated to buy guns they can defend themselves with.

The market is there, so advertising will follow, along with shows depicting those shooting disciplines and the technology behind them. There is no denying that defensive shooting training and tactical shooting "games" have become a great deal more popular over the last 20 years. Even the cowboy-action stuff is really just tactical skills, using what many view as more benign guns. However, it's already been pointed out that you don't need the latest "black rifle" to defend yourself effectively. A short-barreled pump gun, 60 year-old 1911 or even a 30 Carbine are essentially just as useful in dangerous situations as all the hyped-up tactical stuff you see on TV.

One positive to all of this is when the "cool" wears off, the resale prices on a lot of these guns will fall and those of us who are interested in the practical side of tactical weapons will be able to own one for less than they currently cost. It's not like they are "evil"...they're just a different kind of gun. I am in full agreement that some of the guys who own one probably shouldn't be allowed to possess ANY kind of firearm, but many of them will get bored with the gun, once they realize it has no real purpose in their life. That's when you swoop in and buy one for $300. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the slew of tactical .22 carbines hitting the market.

Okay, so tactical is not for you. But I want you to think about how it benefits you in two ways. It attracts a lot of people to shooting sports who otherwise would not be shooters. They aren't hunters, they aren't competition rifle shooters, they aren't skeet shooters, but they do at some level buy into the glamorization of guns in their favorite action movies. They buy a gun and take it to the range because it's cool, and then they find out it is fun. Then they are hooked, and they buy a few guns. It will be a long time, if ever, before they get the tacticoolness out of their heads, so they buy a lot of that gear.

How does that benefit you? It keeps the industry alive, and it increases awareness for the pro-gun way of thinking.

Many of your favorite gun manufacturers are owned by companies that also sell the tactical stuff. In an age where the Wal-mart effect is killing manufacturers, anything they can do to keep the money flowing and the doors open is good for you. You can still buy that nice Remington CDL in part because the tactical guys are buying products from Bushmaster, DPMS, AAC, and Magpul.

For the past decade, and especially over the last three or four years, the foothold of the gun-control politicians has been slipping. Why? Because gun ownership has been increasing, not just among the traditional hunters and sport shooters, but among white collar urban folk. The armchair tactical fad appeals to these people. The increase of white collar gun owners leads to more gun conversations at the water cooler, and the people who previously drank the guns=crime kool-aid are starting to hear the other side of the story. Public awareness of the positive side of guns is growing in this way. As a result, politicians are finding that too many of their constituents care about gun rights for them to act in favor of gun control. Say what you want about the tacticool crowd, but in the voting booth, these guys are our friends.

We all have a romance with guns, and it is different for each of us.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
You'd have been driven insane at the SHOT Show. Since they opened it up to Law Enforcement, the event has become a "tacticrap" convention. Nothing but AR this, night vision that, restraint these and body armor those. All in black. Geez.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I agree but to each his own. I like single action revolvers, lever guns, shotguns and big slow hard cast bullets/slugs with large meplats so I'm bored by much of what is "popular."

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
OK, if the prices will come down - since, I don't have an AR15 or any other .223, how do I decide which one to buy? Ditto for the 9mms. (I qualified "expert" in the army, with an M1, carried a .45, and didn't think much of the M16 issued to me 40 years ago.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings. This my first post, but I've been reading here for a while. I too think the modern sales of "tactical" is overdone. When I was young getting a tooled holster for my Ruger single action was so cool I was sheepish about wearing it for a while. I live rural and thought I have lived incident free without need of agressively defensive weapons. Until I read this post and thought about it. Once I was driving down the 4 lane to the big city around dawn and stopped to help a van with hood up and two mexican guys. After a minute of talking a few other guys popped up out of the tall grass next to the highway. I thought at least there were cars going by to call for help. Then they bent down and picked up sleeping bags and blankets. They had spent the night in the field. I had no weapon. Once a drunk long haired guy came to my door at midnight offering me $6 to drive him about 70maway. Sheriffs showed up in about 15 minutes. Revolver wassafely locked up at the time. Another time a sheriff came to the door late saying someone had stole a truck from a larger town and broke down near me and cut off his ankle bracelet. Later I heard someone in my truck, went out with a rifle but no light and ran him off to steal my neighbor's truck a half mile away. Also was a whole family murderd 7 miles away about 15 years ago. Not to mention the large sick racoon that met me at the mailbox recently. Not to mention also the meth gangs driving around looking for some house to rob. I had carried a .38 for years and have now fallen in love with a .45. Not hard to carry or conceal. I think I may have to work my way down that shopping list of yours.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I agree, hillestadj. I am just too old, I guess.

I have never been unable to do what I actually DO with my guns and equipment because it wasn't "tactical". In fact, just this hunting season, we had to help a guy look for his tacticool knife because it (handle and blade) were cammo colored, and he put it down somewhere during the gutting process and couldn't see it. The pure stupidity of some of it is astonishing. Cammo underwear??

I understand a healthy gun/hunting industry is good for me too, but I can't help but wonder about some of the mental health issues that are the markets for too much of this trend. I guess I just don't live in enough fear to find any of that stuff "necessary".

·
Banned
605 Posts
I'm getting old now and have NO idea how to work an AR. But "tactical" has always been around. OK, in my misspent youth I always carried a M94 Winchester and a .38 Smith. I was never without a knife on my person. Guess it's all a matter of perspective. I, for one, applaud it. Will I buy it? Nope, not in my comfort zone. But I'm still just as prepared with my standby M94 and my Smith .38. I simply adopted the rule "I refuse to be a victim".

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
At SHOT, the Zippo company was showing a very nifty little emergency fire-starting kit the size of one of their iconic lighters. It was in camo. When I mentioned to the rep how utterly idiotic that was, he just shrugged.

Sigh.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,139 Posts
Yup, Rocky - gotta be camo or black.

Working at the gunrange here, I see it all. Got folks bringing out the "assault" gear with no idea how to load or operate the stuff. I'm not into all this "tactical" crap but have had to learn how to instruct the idiots that buy without benefit of operating knowledge the basics - how to lock back the bolt, how to load the magazine (usually a 30 - 50 round extended jobbie), loading and locking the magazine, releasing the bolt and WHERE THE SAFETY IS AND HOW IT FUNCTIONS!

It will scare you to death when the guys with the racy looking snubbie AR-15's don't understand they are easier to point places other than downrange. Scatter the cheap foreign steel cases all over the range, then get up and walk off leaving the stuff for others to clean up after them.

Other than that, I think they're great!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's why they make vanilla and chocolate. I prefer my ordnance to look less 'complicated'. I'm fine with the M1 carbine, Ruger Ranch rifle and .45 Colts of the olden days. The new Remington 870 Home Defense is a nice little purpose-built shotgun that is short, slim, handy and sensible looking for a newer offering.

I do see large capacity mags as a good idea if everything heads south, and keep more than a few around to use in the old guns if ever needed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
kdub, I'm with you on your experience at the gun range. As a hunter safety instructor, we taught and retaught the basics. But then with some of my best friends, I am ducking away from muzzles. And I don't like the spent cases under foot.

I was talking with friends and the wife told me her husband gets himself helplessly locked in the garage, unable to get into the house because his keys are locked in the car... He is so afraid of crime. I responded, where I live a lot of houses are left unlocked, but we all have guns.

Reading the armed response column in the NRA magazine, I get the feeling that it isn't just the big cities that have the problem.

It does seem to me that wearing the black tactical seems to send a message that one is looking for a fight.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
I would think all of the police gear would be more practical if it was camo'd to fit in with whatever the local drunks tend to puke up..... black just shows stains too easily!!!! :eek:

Perhaps some of our retired and active LEOs can comment on the practicality of that suggestion :D

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I feel like a lot of these folks are one step up from having paintball gun fights on a Saturday afternoon. Same mentality.
I think if a lot of them would have signed up for a 2-3 stint in the military, they would get some of that stuff out of their system.
I know that the attempted break-in at our house two years ago was handled perfectly by my wife when she pulled the hammer back on her 357 mag and told the would be"dead guy" what would happen if he kicked the door in. Nothing tactical about that. Just fact!
Big difference between reality and fantasy!
Good luck

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel like a lot of these folks are one step up from having paintball gun fights on a Saturday afternoon. Same mentality.
Thats exactly it. It feels like its a game to a lot of these guys and they revel in the fact that they have all this stuff to "defend" themselves with. Im not sure it registers with a lot of them that you dont call a bullet back and the enormity of taking a life. When someones dead they're dead. Sometimes seems like they cant wait for someone to confront them so they can use they're defensive skill-set if you want to call it that. I have a hard time believing that mindset doesnt lead to judgement problems as to whether or not lethal force is actually called for when a situation does end up presenting itself.

Reactions: Rocky Mountains
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.