Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I ordered a Bergara HMR in 300 PRC. I'm normally the kind of person who researches everything to death. I was unable to find any review of any sort for this particular rifle. I said, oh well, and ordered it just so I would stop going nuts trying to make up my mind as to which rifle I wanted next. As far as I can tell, I haven't even been able to find a picture of one in 300 PRC. Surely I'm not the first to buy one??? Now I'm just itching to get my hands on it... still setting at buds.

I am very interested if anyone has any experience with this rifle or cartridge.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,884 Posts
There are plenty of B-14 HMR reviews out there. The fact that there may not be a review for that specific chambering, doesn't mean much.

Kevinbear has a PRC if the cartridge into is what you want, has a few threads about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
My PRC is a 6.5, I've heard of the 30 caliber version but also have had a 300 saum so I've been there-done that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've seen a few reviews of the HMR, 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be the most popular(can't blame them, it's a favorite of mine too), and I've seen a couple reviews of 300 PRC in other platforms. The Bergara is a little different though. Most seem to be running a 1:8 twist while Bergara is running 1:9. I'm not sure how much of a real world difference this would make if any, particularly with the heavier bullets like the 250gr A-tip (recommended 1:8.5 min twist). I plan on shooting mostly the 212gr ELD-X so it's wasn't a deal breaker, mainly just a curiosity thing.

A bigger concern I have is the magazine. They advertise that the HMR uses AICS pattern mags. To run full length SAAMI spec 3.700" cartridge, it would need a AICS CIP length. Or am I mistaken? I was going to order some extra mags, but I don't want to order extra mags at $80-90 each if they are the wrong ones. Trying to explain to my wife that I need to spend another stack of cash on a rifle because I bought the wrong mags might be hard to sell.

I've contacted Bergara but they have not responded yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's basically a short action 30-06 in a Spanish copy of a 700 remington with a tactical stock? Unless your going to shoot a competition that requires a 30 caliber a 6.5 would be alot more fun to shoot not to mention easier to hit distant targets with.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864982092
I've already got a RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots quite well, so I didn't see the need to buy another 6.5 at the moment. I bought this because I wanted something bigger. I've not seen the gun in person yet, but I'm pretty sure that with a saami spec cartridge length of up to 3.700", it's not a short action. I believe that photo is just a stock photo of a short action. It appears way to small to handle the cartridge.

For the sake of transparency, this is definitely just a "because I can" gun. I have absolutely no need or practical use for it. I normally don't shoot more than 400 yards, most of my shooting is under 200. I just always wanted a big magnum, so I bought one when the opportunity presented itself.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,884 Posts
You are replying to a year old thread, from a member who wasn't here long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts