Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
need parts for model 54 winchester 30-06

I have recently acquired a model 54 in govt 30-06 It is in need of some help I need parts and cant find any anywhere. I need trigger guard a new stosk the one I hav has been refinished and then painted green. I would like to stay original. Why is the model 54 not very well thought of since there is so few of then out there. your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The main rules are to join in and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids. There are some other rules the the stickies, mainly in the General forum.

One of those other rules is no double-posting. The system occasionally runs out of bandwidth before the end of the month, shutting the forum down for a few days. We avoid that by limiting bandwidth consumption where possible. Thank you for your cooperation in that.

Numrich has barrels and a firing pin sleeve and various sight mounts.

The stock can be stripped and restored to the original finish. I have a model 57 and the finish is just boiled linseed oil, I believe, rather than the old varnish finish some Winchesters had. It looks like it to my eye, anyway. Since linseed oil is a poor water proofing agent and will watermark, I think you'll find Danish oil or one of the other more modern finishes can provide the appearance of an oil finish and give you better protection at the same time.

I know of nothing against the 54 per se. A basic Mauser type rifle action. It was replaced by the model 70 in 1936, and the 70 enjoyed exceptional popularity, so perhaps the 54 simply lost out by comparison? It was commercially successful, so I don't believe it was rare or anything. Lack of parts availability will mainly be due to its age.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I dont know who you have been listening to that said the 54 wasnt highly thought of. These are Winchesters from the golden age of firearm manufacture. In these modern days of plastic, potmetal castings and stamped tin parts, the model 54 was a machinists masterpiece. That being said it wasnt perfect, that is why they designed the model 70. With this model they corrected the few problems the 54 had. The 54 was not designed to have a scope mounted, the bolt had to be altered and a different safety had to installed, if a scope was wanted. Then a special Stith scope base had to be used that utilized the left side peep sight holes to secure the rear scope base, and the front base was inserted into the rear sight dovetail. This allowed a single occular scope to be used. Another problem is gas escape ports werent used on early models which was corrected in later models. Next they had a military 2 stage trigger most didnt like, I however didnt mind them nor did many that got aquainted with them. Another problem was they used the trigger as a bolt stop which isnt the finest design. Lastly and gastly was Winchester used a stamped steel floorplate and triggerguard, absolute blastfamy for the Winchester crowd. Even with these few problems they were THE gun to have if you were in severe conditions where reliability from a rifle was paramount.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree with 30-30remchester's comments and offer the following from personal experience owning a Mod 54 in 30-06 with a 20-inch original factory barrel since 1965. The rifle is strongly built and my example with serial 24xxx has more accuracy potential than I can do justice with. I acquired the rifle with a Lyman peep sight installed and it served effectively while my eyes were in the 20-30 year old range. I made the decision to modify the rifle to fit my personal quirks and ignore the "dont mess with a classic" mind set. I installed a classic Fajan walnut stock with sporter dimensions with a cheek piece, had the bolt handle turned and installed a series of scopes; currently a Leupold 3x9x40. The rifle shoots to 1-11/2 inches at 100 yards if I do my part. I handload with lower than factory pressures with 150 Speer or 180 Nosler Accubonds in defference to the rifle's approximately 75 years of age. I did try to replace the original trigger with an aftermarket unit...big mistake. Ended up re-installing the original trigger and scrounging a replacement bolt body through Shotgun News classifieds. Lesson learned...sometimes "pretty good" is to be preferred over the pursuit of apparent perfection. It is my "go to" rifle up to elk at 300 yards. The rifle ia a classic and will likely outlast me.

Brad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input from all I would like to get this old gem back im good condition,but i cant find the parts I need anywhere. I did just purchase the lyman 57 peep site on ebay so the thing I need the most is the original trigger guard.I will try restoring the stoch myself. Do you thing a good gunsmith could make one? the trigger guard I mean.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
as to it being painted green..mabe it was used by military for training or by a gun range to make people hesitent to steal it..heck thats the sort of thing i did to my lawn care tools ,to slow people that might want to take them from me..my son once had a tug o war with a fella in charlotte n.c.
that didn t see him setting in back of the truck..fella tried to grab a back pack blower off the truck when the truck stopped for a stop light.
yep,, i did stuff like that..i always knew i was gonna use any equipment up,, before i was done with it..of course it takes a person putting function value over monetary value..thats what i do..
good luck in your restoration. slim

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sears640..I would think that a good smith could fabricate a new trigger guard and magazine plate for you but its likely to be a pricy process. Before you take that route I would do a bit more research on: Gunbroker.com, forums.gunboards.com, & Shooting Times. The rifle has been out of production so long that you are really looking for a canabalization opportunity. Regarding stocks... just be aware that current aftermarket stocks (wood or synthetic) will most likely be patterned off the Model 70. I am not a smith myself but I am afraid that you will not be able to drop in a model 54 barrelled action to an aftermarket Model 70 stock without additional fitting...better check that out with someone familiar with both pieces. Winchester has gone through so many corporate holdings that I am not aware of any single source to which the Winchester factory can refer clients like you looking for obsolete parts. If you do find one please let me know with a PM. Final thought...consider posting your questions to the gunsmith board of Beartooth shooting forums for some additional help.

Brad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'vee already tried them they have nothing I've tried everybody I can find on the net so far. I did just get a email from hoosiergunworks and they said to try out back gun parts. I will give them a call tomorrow thanks for youe input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts