Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John was a friend, and occasionally when visiting him at his home I would see a work in progress, but never saw one of his finished rfles. I understand that they were usually built on request as "presentation" pieces.

I expect that any rifle John built was an excellent example of hand craftsmanship.

One story I was told was that when John was the director of the Air Force Blue Team and directed all the armoreres that supported the Air Force shooting teams, he would not allow any armorer to take a shortcut when doing a job. One particular story goes: A new guy thought he could modify a stock and do "his own thing" and still have it be acceptable. When he showed his work to John, with a proud maybe funny grin on his face, John just said "follow me" and proceeded to the band saw, cut the stock in half and told the new guy to start over and do it the "right" way, which is the old way.

Bob Nisbet

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I expected someone to respond.
Really would like to see one of those cutsom rifles.
Guess the old crowd that has known John is fading into the sunset.
Folks like Paul Bartlett, Charlie Ralston, Ike Lee and many others.

Bob Nisbet

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got one

I was searching the Web for information about J Bunch. I bought a Stevens 44 1/2 and was looking for information about J Bunch.

My rifle must have been restocked because the fit between the stock and the receiver is not that great. Neat Rifle.

THANKS, Nailman...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.