Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title really States the topic. Looking for stories or experiences of people who regularly hunt with iron or open sights. I have 2 rifles with iron sights I've been thinking of using this coming firearms season.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have always had one or more...

rifles with open sights. many times it's the best way to go, as a kid the scope on my 22 was on & off a couple of times a year---checking traps/no scope --squirrels/scope

·
Registered
630 Posts
There is nothing inherently wrong in hunting with open sights. Your statement, " I've been thinking" is the problem. Thinking doesn't hit stuff with a rifle. If you haven't practiced and just expect to hit stuff, that is pretty inconsiderate of humane harvest ethics.

A practical example for me is my 1903A3 that has open sights and I hunt Deer with it. I practice the same way I shoot it hunting. I shoot standing with a Triggerstick monopod for practice and hunting. Over the course of the year between Deer seasons, I shoot at least 300 rounds at the club range standing with the Triggerstick. I can maintain 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards. That is called being ready.

How ready are you????? If you are not ready to hunt with open sights, then just don't. It is cruel to the animals if you are a poor shot.

Gary

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There is nothing inherently wrong in hunting with open sights. Your statement, " I've been thinking" is the problem. Thinking doesn't hit stuff with a rifle. If you haven't practiced and just expect to hit stuff, that is pretty inconsiderate of humane harvest ethics.

A practical example for me is my 1903A3 that has open sights and I hunt Deer with it. I practice the same way I shoot it hunting. I shoot standing with a Triggerstick monopod for practice and hunting. Over the course of the year between Deer seasons, I shoot at least 300 rounds at the club range standing with the Triggerstick. I can maintain 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards. That is called being ready.

How ready are you????? If you are not ready to hunt with open sights, then just don't. It is cruel to the animals if you are a poor shot.

Gary
Thanks Gary. I appreciate your interaction, and understand your point. Here's the first group I shot with my 1903A3 (100 yards). Like you, I shoot several hundred rounds from my hunting rifle. I do practice offhand at times as well. Should probably consider shooting sticka at some point.

"I'm thinking" is really more about whether I want the first / last 1/2 hour of legal light, and gaining from others experiences. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Three shots isn't a group and you aren't sighted in with that rifle on that target.
I sight in to shoot 1" high at 50 yards with a 165 gr FNGC in #2 alloy at 2170 fps.

A giant cross with 2" tape may help you center cross-hairs but is very useless practicing for game. I recommend a 1" bull at 50 yards or a 2" bull at 100. If you were shooting at 100, a simple 2" square will concentrate your aim just fine, and if you are sighted in 1" high at 50, all shots will be centered in the square at 100 if you have a standard scope height mount.

Gary

·
Registered
630 Posts
Respectfully, even the best, most light gathering scope with illuminated cross-hairs only gives you 10 more minutes in clear weather, not 30. A meticulous hunter will have had trail cams out and put himself in the right place at the right legal time on a well researched main trail.

Gary

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,260 Posts
I do, especially since I go some new shooting glasses with the bifocal on top.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Last couple years, I spend more days a year hunting with open sites. Most of that can be attributed to a black powder rifle which I often use during regular rifle season besides the muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Gary. I appreciate your interaction, and understand your point. Here's the first group I shot with my 1903A3 (100 yards). Like you, I shoot several hundred rounds from my hunting rifle. I do practice offhand at times as well. Should probably consider shooting sticka at some point.

"I'm thinking" is really more about whether I want the first / last 1/2 hour of legal light, and gaining from others experiences. Thanks again.
If you shoot all these hundreds of rounds and practice regularly then why are all three of those shots about 5 inches OFF a "heart shot" in the easiest conditions on the most still and easily visible target you will EVER HAVE?

Unless you just enjoy wounding and chasing them, I suggest you cut that distance in half any time you are out in the field shooting at live game animals.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Title really States the topic. Looking for stories or experiences of people who regularly hunt with iron or open sights. I have 2 rifles with iron sights I've been thinking of using this coming firearms season.

Only young eyes can use iron sights really well. Feel free while you can, but there is no escaping the facts that the fastest and most accurate sighting system for a rifle is a good scope of the proper power, and as you age your ability to use iron sights will decline significantly.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I shoot muzzle loaders , a lot, and here in Idaho for muzzle loader only hunting that means open sights. My eyes aren't young , just had double cataract surgery this year , so I cheated. My muzzle loaders have Tru glo sights. The last time I was out with my 54 I shot 4 shots into 1 1/2" at a lazered 110 yards. I figured that's not bad for an old man!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I shoot muzzle loaders , a lot, and here in Idaho for muzzle loader only hunting that means open sights. My eyes aren't young , just had double cataract surgery this year , so I cheated. My muzzle loaders have Tru glo sights. The last time I was out with my 54 I shot 4 shots into 1 1/2" at a lazered 110 yards. I figured that's not bad for an old man!
That's pretty good shooting for any age eyes. Many 30's can't do any better than that.

Keep up the practice...that will make you better.

Hipshot1

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's pretty good shootin' !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply. The point of aim was the bottom left intersection of the tape, so the group was abut 3" high and 1.5" left.

But here's the part of the post I think you may have missed so I'll write it again for you; slowly this time some you might. comprehend it "t-h-i-s i-s t-h-e f-i-r-s-t g-r-o-u-p I s-h-o-t w-i-t-h t-h-e r-i-f-l-e".

I adjusted the windage and the elevation as well. That said, I used max point blank range on my scoped rifles the last few years, so a couple inches high wouldn't have been a problem.

Final point, the last 4 years I have taken 5 deer. Used 5 rounds. Shot placement isn't a problem.

Thanks again for commenting

If you shoot all these hundreds of rounds and practice regularly then why are all three of those shots about 5 inches OFF a "heart shot" in the easiest conditions on the most still and easily visible target you will EVER HAVE?

Unless you just enjoy wounding and chasing them, I suggest you cut that distance in half any time you are out in the field shooting at live game animals.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Being in the category of a "Senior Citizen", I grew up with "iron sights" and had little trust for a "scope". I could never get on an animal as quick as I could with "irons" and never fully trusted scopes to keep zero until recent years, and I did not buy the "cheapest" scopes to "get by". I have friends who grew up with scopes who are still faster than I on acquiring game on the move and swear they are as fast or faster than Irons. I, being rather "hard headed", am not convinced. And, there are some firearms that just do not balance or look right with a scope. I no longer put a scope on my muzzle loaders, even though it is legal in my state, or utilize them on my military rifles and some of the "levers". About half of the big game animals I've shot in the last 5 decades have been with iron sights where a rifle with irons was handy and available where a scoped rifle did not seem handy or practical. Each to their own; I still use both. My .02.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The point of aim was the bottom left intersection of the tape, so the group was abut 3" high and 1.5" left.

But here's the part of the post I think you may have missed so I'll write it again for you; slowly this time some you might. comprehend it "t-h-i-s i-s t-h-e f-i-r-s-t g-r-o-u-p I s-h-o-t w-i-t-h t-h-e r-i-f-l-e".

I adjusted the windage and the elevation as well. That said, I used max point blank range on my scoped rifles the last few years, so a couple inches high wouldn't have been a problem.

Final point, the last 4 years I have taken 5 deer. Used 5 rounds. Shot placement isn't a problem.

Thanks again for commenting
Oh, ah huh, I kinda figured that was why a feller would start a thread about hunting with open sights and then post a picture with every single shot 5 inches off the center of the the ext he made on a piece of cardboard. Just 'cause he could see it all so good from 100 yards away to pick out one edge from the other was aiming off to the side on purpose any way, so as to not mess up the target first time he shot at it. That's about the way I figured it. Good luck to ya.

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts