Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Open sights

When I took basic training (Army 1963) with an M1, I fell in love with peep sights. Forr decades I hunted squrilles with various 22 rifles. I developed a criteria for rimfire rifles sights for hunting squrilles with a rifle. In the woods I hunt in I couldn't see squrilles futher than 35 yards away. My criteria was: The bullet had to strike within 3/4 inch of the line of sight from the MUZZEL to 35 yards. I had missed bushey tails at 10 yards trying to shoot their heads off with a 12 gauge. It is vertually impossible to sight in a scope to these requirements. With peeps it is a snap. All my life I have been a math and measurement geek. It is just what I do.

Reactions: Davers and kudzu

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used my Remington Model 7 (.308) with iron sights for years. It is an easy carry and rarely is there a shot opportunity/requirement over 50-75 yards...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bought my sons each a H&R Pardner shotgun in 20 gauge 20 years ago when they were 15 &16. Sent the receivers back to have a 20 gauge Rifled Barrel made for them as well as a 50 Cal .muzzle-loading barrel. They grew up left home and got bolt action,scoped rifles. I picked up the 20 gauge rifled barrel with slugs and took to hunting my thick,6.25 acres where most shots are 25-35 yards max. Iron Rifle sights. The single shot with slug lifts the deer off their feet and violently to the ground each time. Instant. I am 65 and the low light situations are becoming more difficult for me .May have to invest in some sort of optic for the old single shot. Shot 2 in 5 minutes with it last year.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Winchester model 94 (30-30) with peep site, Remington model 514 (.22) factory site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like to hunt with old sporterized military surplus rifles. My Springfield 1903 carries a scope, but the others all have aperture sights (either as standard equipment or vintage models I’ve had installed). For whatever reason, I’m increasingly drawn to shooting and hunting with peeps.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I had tried peeps, but cataracts kept getting in the way. After my cataract surgery I am good to go. I have installed Skinner peep on my 45-70 Handi Rifle, put new peep on my Model 94 30-30 and will replace the scope on my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington with a Skinner peep before deer season is over. Some rifles just should not be scoped if one can help it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like to hunt with old sporterized military surplus rifles. My Springfield 1903 carries a scope, but the others all have aperture sights (either as standard equipment or vintage models I’ve had installed). For whatever reason, I’m increasingly drawn to shooting and hunting with peeps.
My 03A3 with it's aperture sight makes itall too easy to ring the steel plate @ 200 yds, so I would be more than confident in it for deer hunting. Especially here where 75 yds is a long shot and under 50 is the norm.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm in the senior class now and usually use scoped rifles. But, I have this old 94 that I have fond memories with. Grand Dad letting me carry it, starting at about eight yrs old. I have been taking this gun out the last few Doe only,late seasons to see if I can get one more with her. Always look at the sights at about closing, and do admit, they are a bit fuzzy. But , snow on the ground, 75 yard shot max, I'm sure I will get it done. Now if only those wily Does will break cover before shooting hrs end. Doesn't really matter, as an eight year old, I'm just glad to have that gun in my hands!! :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Most deer hunting here is with shotgun. I use a smooth bore rifle sighted barrel and foster slugs with my 20ga.
Most shots are under 50 yds but I have taken a couple over 60 yds.
Scoped shoguns and rifled barrels are legal here but I haven't needed to use any yet. I'm 71 so may have to in the future.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have actually removed the scope sights from several of my guns and resorted to peeps. Here in the Ozarks I seldom see deer farther away than I can shoot with the peeps. They are easier to carry with peeps and feel friendlier, less mechanical. I am 76 and now the challenge is often more enticing than the outcome.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I actually prefer irons at up to 100 to perhaps 200 yards, or a scope of 3X..I will shoot against anyone at up to 100 yards irons vs. Scope "off hand"...and have on a number of occasions.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
There is nothing inherently wrong in hunting with open sights. Your statement, " I've been thinking" is the problem. Thinking doesn't hit stuff with a rifle. If you haven't practiced and just expect to hit stuff, that is pretty inconsiderate of humane harvest ethics.

A practical example for me is my 1903A3 that has open sights and I hunt Deer with it. I practice the same way I shoot it hunting. I shoot standing with a Triggerstick monopod for practice and hunting. Over the course of the year between Deer seasons, I shoot at least 300 rounds at the club range standing with the Triggerstick. I can maintain 1" 5 shot groups at 50 yards. That is called being ready.

How ready are you????? If you are not ready to hunt with open sights, then just don't. It is cruel to the animals if you are a poor shot.

Gary

Well said. I simple practice snap shots (dry firing) for muscle memory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Title really States the topic. Looking for stories or experiences of people who regularly hunt with iron or open sights. I have 2 rifles with iron sights I've been thinking of using this coming firearms season.
For snap shooting it’s the best way. It gets tough at 200 yards. The sights cover more of the target at that range. But you can’t beat open sights for short range(and brush), especially when you need to get off a quick shot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually prefer irons at up to 100 to perhaps 200 yards, or a scope of 3X..I will shoot against anyone at up to 100 yards irons vs. Scope "off hand"...and have on a number of occasions.
Nowadays that’s not too hard. I never(or rarely) see anyone shoot offhand anymore- lol. I’ve been told: your a good offhand shooter or your the best offhand shooter at this range, and similar statements like that at various gun ranges. I take it with a grain of salt knowing full well there are many better offhand shooters than me;
when you can find them- lol. My response to those that make those type of statements to me is: That’s not saying much considering I’m the only offhand shooter- LMAO.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
For snap shooting it’s the best way. It gets tough at 200 yards. The sights cover more of the target at that range. But you can’t beat open sights for short range(and brush), especially when you need to get off a quick shot.
When we used to shoot practical rifle matches, I often used my Mohawk in 308. I did use it out to 500 yards. The long range shots weren't snap shots, but they were fast enough to work in the match environment. BUT, that was California usually high desert, so brush was mild. Nowadays I still use a model 54 with iron sights. It does 200 yards easily and fast. Slickest bolt action I've ever used.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts