Shooters Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Where did you get those glasses? Frankly, that's my biggest issue at this point.
Me too! I have been having a fair amount of trouble with my vision, which makes life tough for lovers of iron sights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here are two more hogs shot earlier this year with my Spanish Mauser. Both were standing offhand shots at about 50 yards on spot-and-stalk hunts. One neck shot and one head shot — nothing wrong with the accuracy of those sights.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use irons probably half of my hunts typically while still hunting. I prefer peep sights but hunt quite a bit with a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer with open sights which I recently had to have reworked into a wide shallow V with a gold centerline. Now I can make them out much better and continue to use it. I do use scopes while stand hunting. The open sights available in CZ and Ruger rifles work very well.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I use irons probably half of my hunts typically while still hunting. I prefer peep sights but hunt quite a bit with a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer with open sights which I recently had to have reworked into a wide shallow V with a gold centerline. Now I can make them out much better and continue to use it. I do use scopes while stand hunting. The open sights available in CZ and Ruger rifles work very well.
HA love the "life is to short for ugly guns" right now it's a classic model 54 I saved from rusting out and talked the owner out of. Sweetest bolt action I've ever had and very classic good looks.

He got a primo 03 that I had in return.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hope you have another 03 in your arsenal. I shot the 03 A3 on the rifle team while stationed in Germany in the 70's. Used to shoot against the German teams and with battle rifles they kicked out butts at any range over 200 meters with their 308. We redeemed ourselves as with the 03 against their mausers. It was close though. Love the looks of those model 54s. Did you have it devalued after removing the rust?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I hope you have another 03 in your arsenal. I shot the 03 A3 on the rifle team while stationed in Germany in the 70's. Used to shoot against the German teams and with battle rifles they kicked out butts at any range over 200 meters with their 308. We redeemed ourselves as with the 03 against their mausers. It was close though. Love the looks of those model 54s. Did you have it devalued after removing the rust?
Nope. Only part that had finish in bad shape was the buttplate. Careful work saved the rest. It was written up for Brownells on using Kroil properly.

As to another 03, still have one, but I have a special 308 chamber on it. I probably won't keep it since I have a 308 chambered barrel for my SAKO. It currently has a 7.62X39 barrel on it for my friend who was testing ammo with it. Steel butt playes are rough on a busted shoulder.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts