Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around and am thinking I would like to have a Ruger 44 Mag. Deerfield Carbine. It looks like it was make on the same setup as a Mini-14. If anyone has one or has had one can you please give me your feedback on it?

·
Banned
571 Posts
I have been looking around and am thinking I would like to have a Ruger 44 Mag. Deerfield Carbine. It looks like it was make on the same setup as a Mini-14. If anyone has one or has had one can you please give me your feedback on it?
I know a guy that has one. Doesnt that have a rotary style mag fashioned after the 10-22? My appetite for big bores (guide gun) got it's start with the original model .44mag carbine. Fine brush gun and lots of fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I own one and I love it . My favorite load is a 270 gr sp Sierra w/ 20 gr H 110 , 1" group @ 100 yds. It' a sweet brush gun for whitetails. I've taken elk with it using 300 gr sp . don't run any cast through it though or you'll plug it up. enjoy !:D

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Acquired one half dozen years ago for white tail deer harvesting. Works very well after finding what loadings would cycle the action. Contrary to Rugers recommendations and warnings I found 180 and 200 grain hollow point bullets worked the best cycling the action. Could never get factory 240's too work reliabily which was there lowest recommended load.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like something I need to own, now the problem is finding one. I found two on e Gunbroker but they same guy has them both and wants $750.00 and $800.00 which I find a little steep. What do you think one is worth?

·
Banned
604 Posts
My Aunt had one. Harvested quite a few deer with it in the Cedar swamps here in Michigan. All she ever used was the 240 grain factory loads. It was light, fast, quick pointing.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Just curious, why not a 77/44? The thought of rapid firing a .44Mag for deer doesn't seem all that practical, and the 77 will cycle almost anything reliably.

Reactions: Davers

·
1,398 Posts
That is out of line with my experience. Bought mine five years ago for $400 used which included box, papers and two extra magazines. This was from a local dealer who isn't noted for deals especially someone who only stops there occassionally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious, why not a 77/44? The thought of rapid firing a .44Mag for deer doesn't seem all that practical, and the 77 will cycle almost anything reliably.
I have a 77/44 with finger groove stock right now and would like to have a Deerfield as well.

I think they stopped making the Deerfield in 2006 and it was not in production for a long time, like the 77/44 was, so there is not near as many Deerfields out there. From what I have seen Deerfields have been going for $650.00-$750.00, that is if you can find one. They seem to be a fairly elusive creature.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The newer Deerfield Carbine (now discontinued) has an action similar to the Mini-30. The older models differ from the newer ones. It's a nice handy short range hunting rifle. Here's mine with a Leupold 2.5x Ultra Light scope. :cool:

·
6,248 Posts
I have one too. I paid $385 two years ago NIB. You basically have to find someone that doesn't know what they are worth to get one for a good price.

I really like mine and factory Hornady Leverevolution 225 grain bullets shoot into 1.5" at 100 yards. I don't have a scope on mine, but I might spring for a 1.5-5x if I find the right one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have one too. I paid $385 two years ago NIB. You basically have to find someone that doesn't know what they are worth to get one for a good price.

I really like mine and factory Hornady Leverevolution 225 grain bullets shoot into 1.5" at 100 yards. I don't have a scope on mine, but I might spring for a 1.5-5x if I find the right one.
Yeah I am keeping my eyes open for a deal!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I must have got a heck of a deal , I bought mine from my dad ten years ago for 100 bucks ! I put a 4 power Unertle scope on it and it's a shooter. I don't know what they're worth . Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Deerfield carbine

Yes I own one and like it. The clips (3+1) are puny though and you will probably want several in order to keep from having loose shells rattling around in your pockets.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

I liked the rotary detachable magazine of the .44 Deerfield, the standard peep sight, and the ability to scope it w/o having to attach separate bases.

My Deerfield exhibited about the same accuracy as my older .44 Carbines (I've had about 4 diff ones) - good for minute of deer ear, up to 50yds.

The two things I didn't particulary care for on my Deerfield were the non-walnut stock and the plastic handguard atop the barrel - so I eventually returned to using my earlier, tube magazine Carbine.

I would have kept it, if aftermarket walnut stocks were available (they weren't, back in 1999) - and sure wish Ruger had done something else about the handguard, maybe one of carbon fiber ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had one for a while a long time ago. Shot well, and was fun to shoot. If you find one, check it over carefully. They had a problem with the operating rod assembly (if memory serves) cracking, and I'm not sure Ruger carries the parts anymore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
44 Deerfield carbine "shortcomings"

I own one and I love it . My favorite load is a 270 gr sp Sierra w/ 20 gr H 110 , 1" group @ 100 yds. It' a sweet brush gun for whitetails. I've taken elk with it using 300 gr sp . don't run any cast through it though or you'll plug it up. enjoy !:D
Sorry, I am confusing the earlier Ruger Deerstalker with the later Deerfield. I sold mine for the same issue, no cast bullet and I'm a cheap guy. Tube feed not rotary magazine like the 10-22 by the way. At the time it was widely spread around heavy bullets wouldn't shoot well, now proven a myth. Oh well, live and learn. I also would add one other reason for letting mine go. All those 44 Magnum revolvers and Contenders needed a home. At 125 yards or less under good conditions a deer won't know the difference. I hoped the kids would hunt deer with it but "it kicks too much" was broadcast about. My middle son settled on .308 Win semiauto FNFAL at 11 pounds, which didn't kick. He had a gun bearer, me, so the weight wasn't an issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.