Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this lever action in one of Opa's drawers in the garage, seems the rodents somehow got in the chest causing the rust, thankfully EvapoRust took care of most.

Much better.

And the measurements. Opa had a large collection of Winchesters, which his daughter absconded (including gun parts on top of the bench), so why checked there first.

Did find the trigger in the container of shell casings at the bottom, though no pin. No barrel either, which really help clarify.

Anyone recognize this lever action?

Looking online can't even find a 0.750 caliber cartridge, almost like never existed. Yet, the rifling goes from the breech to the barrel end and measures that. Has me really stumped.

Thank y'all in advance. :D

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Are you sure it is not a Shotgun action?
If you found no barrel , how do you find riffling in the barrel?
Could the "Rifling" be take-down multiple start threads?
The lever is similar to many single shot action levers incluiding Stevens, but not the szame as one irecognize.
Chev. William

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
That's the 'mono-block' for a SS rifle of some kind. The barrel extension looks to be gas welded to the frame which is not finished.
I'm guess a lunchbox factory escapee from Chickopee Falls, MA

Look in the breech to see if its center fire or rim fire, please.
The odd profile of the hammer should ID it from the Frank DeHaas "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" book.

IT would sure help to re-size those monster #*&@^ pictures!! No more than 1500 pixles on the longest side.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lever is similar to many single shot action levers incluiding Stevens, but not the szame as one irecognize.
Chev. William
Okay fine, what is this then?

Is there an 11 guage shotgun?

Stevens seems to come closest so far using de Haas' book.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems not allowed to edit posts, as when attempt, deletes the message.

Chev. William

Okay fine, what is this then, please?

Is there an 11 guage shotgun? Or instead this be the size of the barrel fitting?

Stevens seems to come closest so far using de Haas' book.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the 'mono-block' for a SS rifle of some kind.
Meaning a blank? I am not privy to all the jargon yet, sorry. By the way, what use is this?

The barrel extension looks to be gas welded to the frame which is not finished.
I'm guess a lunchbox factory escapee from Chickopee Falls, MA
Is that why then the firing mechanism has yet to be machined in? Sure a puzzle then how would end up in San Diego County.

And who is this manufacture you refer to?

Look in the breech to see if its center fire or rim fire, please.
How do I determine since now realize no firing mechanism? (I am still a mess from loosing Dad, only 72 and not fully expected.)

The odd profile of the hammer should ID it from the Frank DeHaas "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" book.
I actually rescued that book of Opa's years ago wanting to put together another action he had (part of those which were stolen). Trouble is, seems limited, for example, doesn't have Mauser. As said earlier, Stevens hammer is a good match, though the levers are totally different and the receiver size doesn't match.

IT would sure help to re-size those monster #*&@^ pictures!! No more than 1500 pixles on the longest side.
I am not savvy with technology, despite my youth, and thought had made them small. Is this new size good?

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
OK, let me see if we can address it all.

Mono Block is a method of attaching barrels to a section that has the locking and extracting parts in it or built in. Commonly used on O/U and side by side doubles. The breech section is about four inches long with the locking lugs and extractors in it. The barrels are 'plugged in' and soldered in place. You'll see a knurled or decorative line just ahead of the chambers of these guns. That covers the joint.

Chickopee Falls, MA was the home of Stevens and Savage and they made many inexpensive single shot rifles and shotguns with slab sides and pivot block locking systems.

DeHaas also wrote a couple books of plans to build your own single-shot action. Could it be your granddad was building his own?

Your action looks to be for cartridges and not shot shells. If you can close the breech and look down the 'barrel' to see if the firing pin hole is in the middle or slightly off center (hard to see, I know) Is the firing pin hole round or rectangular? If round, does it have a circular seam around it with two holes 180 degs apart? (Bushed firing pin).

Mauser made no actions similar to that, but many European companies did. Steven used the pivot breech locking system and that lever is VERY similar to the centerfire 'Favorite' types.
Look at the #44 and #44 1/2 actions. I can's seem to find my SS book. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, let me see if we can address it all.
Much appreciated! :D

Mono Block is a method of attaching barrels to a section that has the locking and extracting parts in it or built in. Commonly used on O/U and side by side doubles. The breech section is about four inches long with the locking lugs and extractors in it. The barrels are 'plugged in' and soldered in place. You'll see a knurled or decorative line just ahead of the chambers of these guns. That covers the joint.
Ah, now that makes sense. So would the grooves help hold/lock the barrel in?

Can these barrels still be obtained?

Chickopee Falls, MA was the home of Stevens and Savage and they made many inexpensive single shot rifles and shotguns with slab sides and pivot block locking systems.
I guessed right on Stevens using Google. Maybe at some point someone made kits patterned after those?

DeHaas also wrote a couple books of plans to build your own single-shot action. Could it be your granddad was building his own?
I went though all the other books when clearing out, didn't find. As far as I am aware, Opa didn't know how to machine nor have the tools. Could have been like the Belgian side by side parts and was given it.

Your action looks to be for cartridges and not shot shells. If you can close the breech and look down the 'barrel' to see if the firing pin hole is in the middle or slightly off center (hard to see, I know) Is the firing pin hole round or rectangular? If round, does it have a circular seam around it with two holes 180 degs apart? (Bushed firing pin).
Sorry the picture was not clear, this should be a lot better?

See what I mean about it not yet having the firing mechanism?

By the way, does come apart and real easy to assemble, no instructions needed so can get more picture(s) if requested.

Now thinking on it, bet this could be an advantage, as then a "replacement" firing mechanism could be obtained and fitted, rather than trying to find an exact replacement?

Mauser made no actions similar to that, but many European companies did. Steven used the pivot breech locking system and that lever is VERY similar to the centerfire 'Favorite' types.
Look at the #44 and #44 1/2 actions. I can's seem to find my SS book. :(
Oh dear, hope you find it, glad found Opa's. I mentioned Mauser only as an example of what not included and wish was, as might see am trying to find the missing parts for a Model 1871.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts