Shooters Forum banner

Anyone seen or used the new IMR powders yet?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Cavitation 
#1 ·
I was looking at a gun rag the other day and saw a couple new powders from IMR. They are a short stick powder. One that looks mainly for med size cartridges like 30/06 and such maybe 308. The other didnt have a writeup about it. I hope someone has more info on them than I do.

AL

#2 ·
If IMR 4007 is one of the powders you saw it is a very good powder for cartridges of 308 capacity. I find it gives excellent accuracy at 100% load density to light compressed loads. IMR 4007 compresses easily and my 307 Winchester using heavily compressed loads delivers very good accuracy with high velocity. IMR 4007 does not seem to be affected by high ambient temperatures.

#6 ·
I don’t have my load book in front of me but I do have some notes: A very good load in the 307 Winchester is 47.0 grains of IMR 4007 and the Speer 170-grain bullet which chronographs 2,488 fps with single digit extreme spreads every time I chronographed it – at least for these notes. I have stars in the accuracy block so it is a load which had my attention. The bullets are seated to the 2.550” COAL for the 307.

43.0 grains gave me 2,434 fps with the same small extreme spreads but not quite as good accuracy. The loads seemed to get a bit more accurate as the powder was compressed. I had reached the powders balance point as going up in charge weight did not increase velocity very much.

#7 ·
I don;t know about IMR4007, but I believe IMR4007SSC (super short cut) is a relatively new powder. I have 2 pounds, but as of yet, have only tried it in 22-250 on some 40grain and 55grain bullets. I have it listed as "Best Load" in both bullets, but I don;t have a chronograph so I can;t give a velocity report excpet what my manuals say.

#8 ·
Yea, I guess they have some new ones. I have several old ones to use up. I guess that once in a while you have to try something else or we get stagnant-food, friends, cars, ammo etc etc..

I have kinda drifted towards Alliant powders-RL 15, RL 19 and Rl22. Have not done the 25 and now I see a 17, esp for WSMs/WSSMs?? I dont have one. My sone got good results w/ 15 or 19..

Probably have a several year supply of powders. Have a life time of shotgun shells unless the bird population goes way up soon. My shells will probably get legislated out of exhoistance before they get shot--lead pellets. They are bad and getting badder every year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.