Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I assume you mean a 91/30. The design is obsolete, the rifle is heavy and a mile long, the trigger is nothing to brag on. I love them!

The cartridge is a fine one. They are usually shockingly accurate, given the challenging trigger and coarse sights. They are as simple and reliable as a repeating bolt action can be.

·
Inactive account
330 Posts
I have one that I sportorized, wish I never had done that just because of the history on how the rifle came back to the states and stayed in the family. I had the barrell cut to 22in and crowned and installed nice ramp open sights replacing the graduated rear sight.. again argh. Put it in a fajen stock. the 7.62 X 54R actually shoots pretty good and in younger days I took a deer or two with it. The safety is a bugger and not to be taken lightly I doubt they were put on safe much. I just carried it with an empty chamber and chambered a round when ready to shoot. the bolt is amazingly slick and quiet on the one I have. Very comparable to the .308 round but I never loaded much over mimimum charges. They are fun to shoot the trigger as mentioned is a beast and when you pull the trigger there is no doubt the firing pin is going forward. I don't shoot mine much any more, I used norma brass to reload for it but ball ammo is cheap and available just make sure you clean the rifle afterwards. many of these rifles have dark bores but still manage to shoot okay.

good luck
GF

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
171 Posts
I have had several and was thinking of converting one to .405 Winchester. A rugged military rifle meant to be used by Russian peasants. Check this site for more info: http://www.mosinnagant.net/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for taking your time in responding to my post. There are 4 types that I can choose from. Which version would you recommend? I'm thinking of getting the octagonal receiver but I'm relatively new to this sport so if anyone has something to say regarding my selection, please do so. I'm also thinking that refinishing the stock and rebluing would be a nice winter project...

$85.00 - Round Receiver - IN STOCK
$99.00 - Octagonal Receiver - IN STOCK
$99.00 - Laminated Stock - IN STOCK
$99.00 - Ex-Sniper - IN STOCK

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have fun shooting mine but the inside of the barrels OH MAN I cleaned and cleaned and scrubed and scubed (You get the picture) I thaught the barrels were just pitted (I have three different models) after I cleaned them thoroughly I found out the barrels were actually in fantastic shape. Just as shinny as a brand new modern rifle barrel now that they are truly clean it takes just a few patches to get them clean now. I had the same problem with the Mill Surp. SKS's persistance makes for fun and long lasting shooting experiance all thow it may not seem so at the time.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
>I have fun shooting mine but the inside of the barrels OH MAN

I had a similar experience. My rearsenaled 91/30 has an as-new bore and was a fine shooter from the get-go. My M38, picked up up for the lordly sum of $35 at a yard sale, had a bore that looked like a century-old cast iron sewer pipe. But after a week's worth of cleaning, it, too, was sparkling, and it shoots as well as the 91/30 now.

As for which version to get, well, that is pretty much a matter of taste, IMO. All of these rifles have been rearsenaled, probably several times, and it is rare indeed to find one with all-matching and original serial-numbered parts (plenty will have parts re-serialed to match with an electric pencil, but that doesn't count). Finding collector-worthy rarities, like genuine snipers or ex-snipers, is tough and pricey, but good shooters are stiil easy to find.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just got a '43 Tula 91/30 a few weeks ago. Dern thing shoots straight, I'll probably have to get one or 2 more. I messed with the trigger and stripped the stock down for a natural finish. Mostly I wanted a rifle as a practice-piece and this was the perfect ticket. I might get 'er set up with a scope when I'm done with this semester.

Before and after

If you're interested in the rifle for collecting, check 7.62x54r.net They have all the info you'll need about collecting, but you won't be allowed to talk about modifying (improving) the rifle on their forums.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got a '43 Tula 91/30 a few weeks ago. Dern thing shoots straight, I'll probably have to get one or 2 more. I messed with the trigger and stripped the stock down for a natural finish. Mostly I wanted a rifle as a practice-piece and this was the perfect ticket. I might get 'er set up with a scope when I'm done with this semester.

Before and after

If you're interested in the rifle for collecting, check 7.62x54r.net They have all the info you'll need about collecting, but you won't be allowed to talk about modifying (improving) the rifle on their forums.
How did you strip the stock like that? looks really nice. I'm thinking of getting one and all I will do is to restore the stock and maybe do some rebluing..no other modifications.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well the old shellac was pretty horrible...I started by scraping it off with a razor blade, then used a vibrating sander and some hand-sanding starting at 60 grit, worked my way to 320 grit to sand out impurities. I think you might like at least a bit of a trigger job (just wait til you pull a MN trigger)--which is as simple as placing a shim between the triggerspring and receiver.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stopped by at one of the local gun stores today to check out some of the Mosins that they carry. The stocks looked extremely attractive and over all condition seemed to be well above average for something that is so old.

Please give me some tips on buying used rifle. I'm still trying to decide if I should get one or not....

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Most MNs are arsenal-rebuilt, and so you find many is as-new condition. Tips for buying would be mostly the same as for any used rifle. Check the bore, of course. Removing the bolt to have a peek is easy -- open the bolt, pull the trigger and hold it, pull the bolt straight out. Many have been counterbored for the first inch or two at the muzzle, so don't be concerned if the front end is smooth-bored. Check to be sure the safety works. Tip -- the safety is clumsy to work until you know the technique. Place the butt in the crook of your elbow. Reach up to the cocking piece with the hand of the same arm, grasp it, pull it back while the butt presses in to the crook of your arm, rotate it counterclockwise, pull the trigger -- it should not move. Use the same technique to release the safety. Check the trigger pull by dryfiring, if the dealer will allow it -- he should, it won't hurt a thing. The trigger is likely to feel lousy-- that's normal, and can be very simply improved a bit once you get it home.

Once you get it home, even if it looks brand-new and squeaky clean there will be old caked-on and hardened grease hidden in the nooks and crannies. Look online for detailed instructions on disassembling the bolt -- it is very simple, requires no tools, but can be a bit tricky in reassembly. Doesn't take long to learn the procedure, though. A common "fault" is sticky extraction. Virtually 100% of the time, the old grease is the culprit. The stuff they use hardens over time in to a really tough varnish-like substance, and while the chamber will look clean, it won't be. A solvent combined with a good brush chucked in to a hand drill will get it out. Don't be shy about this -- it may take quite a while, and several sessions, to get the chamber really, completely clean, but once it is the extraction problem will go away.

That's about it!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Irregardless or what others say, I still maintain they make great tomato stakes!!!! :D

·
Banned
103 Posts
accuracy can be an interesting trial and error

I have to disagree with kdub. My mosin, after clean up and scoping, has a clean bore and after some experimentation with reloads I can shoot 5 shot groups that will hover around the 1" range from the benchrest at 200 yards. I suppose in all fairness I got lucky on my rifle. But to lump them into use as a garden stake is just to harsh.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to disagree with kdub. My mosin, after clean up and scoping, has a clean bore and after some experimentation with reloads I can shoot 5 shot groups that will hover around the 1" range from the benchrest at 200 yards. I suppose in all fairness I got lucky on my rifle. But to lump them into use as a garden stake is just to harsh.
How did you mount the scope on your Mosin? Could you show me some pictures and explain the process?

Thanks,

MXAEXM

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.