Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting an M1A pretty soon and i am wondering if you guys have shot brown bear or silver bear ammo in them. Was the ammo reliable in the rifle, Was it accurate, Leave any fouling ect...

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I would only shoot steel cased ammo in guns with a chrome lined chamber.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I personally wouldn't fire steel-cased ammo in my M1A......you're buying an expensive gun, why would you shoot cheap ammo in it? I don't know whether it'll do any harm or not, probably not, but I simply would not go there.

·
Banned
170 Posts
I was wondering about it as well 10 bucks a box is good cheap plinking. But Ill keep reloading now that I know its steel. I do not need that crap in my 1500 dollar DPMS.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
ok yall saved me some trouble.. id hate to mess up my savage 110 barrel.
wow.. did i dodge the bullet this time.. if ida messed that barrel up trying it ..
ida swore off shootin ..i think..slim
wait a min ..do they even sell 30 06 ammo.. don t matter i ain t shooting nothing that might hurt that barrel.
i won t even shoot light magnum in mine as im afraid it might age the barrel faster..that,, an the fact that i can t see the need for it where i live..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i found out the M1A is not that accurate, so i am now looking at the DPMS LR-308 because i have heard good results with this rifle. It has a Chrome lined barrel so is shooting brown/silver bear ok?
And can the DPMS shoot semi jacketed lead hunting bullets?
I heard the M1A cannot shoot bullets with exposed lead because it jams up the action.

·
Registered
660 Posts
WOW !!! I've never heard of an M1A that wasn't accurate !!! I try to tweak it a bit before I'd trade for something else. They m1A/M21/M14 family have always been known for very good accuracy !!!! HD1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HD1: I've read on several other forums that the Standard model M1A was known to have just 1-3 inch groupings at 100 yards while the AR-10 had half inch groupings.

I do not own a M1A, I am deciding on whether to buy the Standard M1A or DPMS AR-10, plus the AR-10 is several hundred dollars cheaper. Plus the M1A will not shoot lead hunting bullets or cheap steel cased plinking rounds and now i am wondering if the AR-10 will.

If i am going to spend more than $1000 on a gun i am going to make sure i get a real good gun that will do the tasks that i want it to do.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I wouldn't shoot steel ammo in an AR10 either. You just can't shoot lead bullets in any gas gun, they need to be copper jacketed. Virtually all rifle bullets are copper jacketed.

AR10s can be pretty accurate, although most shoot 1" - 2" @ 100 yards, an M1A wil shoot the same. If you want to mount a scope, you'll want an AR10, its really not possible on the M1A unless you get one with rails on the handguard. I prefer the M1A over the ARs, but they are both very good guns.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Not sure how Springfield is making their barrels now days but they do have multiple options. I used to shoot a National Match M14 out to 1000yds in competition in the Army (same rifle I used took to Iraq in 04) with irons sights. Only steel cased 7.62x51 ammo I've fired have been out of HK G3s and FN FALs. My FALs have always been accurate and used to hunt with my Springfield Armory SAR48 Bush Rilfe (fixed stock, 18" bbl). Looking at a DSA Congo Rifle (same specs) for a later purchase. Battle rifles use chromed chambers and bores for reduce failings and corrosion protection. However, for match rifles where accuracy is the main goal and not realiablity they use non chromed bbls.

CD

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Jason, it sounds like you want to get a good, accurate rifle and are willing to spend the money for one yet want to shoot cheap ammo for cost purposes.

Almost all good iron sighted semi auto rifles will shoot 1-3 inches at 100 yards. Not because they arent accurate but becaue the human eye isnt that good at differentiating between three focal planes and keeping them all sharp at the same time so sub 1 inch groups are consistently possible with iron sights. Its human limitations, not the rifle for the most part.

Ive shot a friend's National Match Springfield M1A. Great rifle, and with good MilSurp ammo, it shot 2-3 inches off sandbags for me. My Imbel /Stg 58 FAL wil shoot 2-4 inches off bags with South African MilSurp and Lithuanian MilSurp, 4-6inches with 1973 Indian MilSurp. I've handloaded some 150 grain Sierra MatchKings over IMR 4064 for it but have not shot them yet so I dont know how those work but I expect good things.

Instead of shooting Wolf or Brown Bear, Id pick up some reloadable Military Surplus and shoot that. Then reload it. The M1A doesnt tear up brass, nor does the AR10. The FAL doesn't either. :) You'll save money on the Military Surplus ammo and even more reloading it.

The money you invest there and in a press if you dont have one, will be less than what sending your rifle off to a smith for repair would cost because you voided your warranty and broke something using ammo they wouldnt recommend.

Dont scrimp on ammo in your expensive rifle. The results will likely be disappointing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Instead of shooting Wolf or Brown Bear, Id pick up some reloadable Military Surplus and shoot that. Then reload it. The M1A doesnt tear up brass, nor does the AR10. The FAL doesn't either. You'll save money on the Military Surplus ammo and even more reloading it."

cant find any reloadable mil-surp 7.62 anywhere under $.50 a pop.

·
Banned
131 Posts
I have heard of some QC issues with Springfield, they are however known to have good customer service. Take a look at the National Match M1As if you want to do less to make the gun shoot accurately. The AR-10 from DPMS also has a well known reputation for being an accurate gas gun. One thing to remember when looking at gas guns is that they cost quite a bit more to make accurate, cost more to maintain and cost more to shoot. The more shooting usually comes from the fact that your not manually cycling the bolt. Also take a look at LWRC REPR and the LaRue OBR, both excellent guns in their own right though they are spendy, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
JasonTrice;477492 cant find any reloadable mil-surp 7.62 anywhere under $.50 a pop.[/quote said:
Jason, the reason to reload is that it will cut the cost per shot by anywhere from 40% to 60% per round.

200 rounds for $100, you shoot them and then reload, your cost per 200 next time at the range is $60 if you are only saving 40%.

Yes, feeding them is expensive but you can save on it. It takes some leg work.

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts