Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many here are using Reloader 17? Has anyone tried it in a 22-250 with 50gr bullets.

I'm loading with Varget right now and getting some impressive groups but R-17 has proven to be an outstanding powder in the 260 with 130gr Accubonds and the 243 with 95gr Balistic tips so I've decided to see just what it will do in the 22-250. Just wondering if anyone has already tried it and what their result were.

If it performs well in the 22-250, it may be the only powder I'll be loading. I found some for $20 a pound so I bought the three he had left, and would have bought a case if he had it. It's too new to find much data on it so you have to work your own, but it has proven to be well worth the effort. I you like IMR 4350, you will luv R-17 and for most anything else in a slow burn rate.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I have not (for one). I've tried only H-380 and IMR4895, with the latter proving the best loads in two different 50gr bullets.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
It seems like it would be a bit slow for the 22-250, especially since case capacity isn't usually a limitation with that particular cartridge. Nonetheless, it certainly does seem to be an excellent new powder and something I will undoubtedly be trying out in a few rifles, this coming spring. I'd like to see how it compares with the Superformance powder from Hodgy...they seem rather similar, to me.

This review is certainly in favor of the new Alliant Reloder-17.

http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html

Ironically, Alliant lists RL-17 as a "short magnum" powder, but according to their own load data, it provides a bigger improvement in performance for the standard 270 Winchester than it does for the 270WSM. :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ihave tried it in other calibers.Did not work in my picky .300 RSAUM but is great in my 30/06 and 300 Win Mag.Give it a try it may work just fine

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I had to try it and just got back from the range with the results. The wind was at 5mph and below so I able go shoot 400yds this morning (thats also all I shot) and the temps were in the lower 30's.

My first trial was with the Hornady VMax 55gr, which I am still convinced do not shoot well in my rifle. All the groups were in the 2 1/2 - 3" range. (remeber this is 400yds) with most of that being vertical strings.

38.5 grains of R17 averaged 3550 fps
39.0 grains averaged 3625 fps
39.5 grains averaged 3685 fps
None of these loads were showing extreme pressure signs, the 39.5 grain load was starting to show a little primer flatning.

I then tried one group using the Nosler 50gr Ballistic Tips with 40 grains of R-17 and averaged 3,700 fps. That group was 1 1/4" with only 1/2" vertical separation. Again, with no excess pressure signs. (again note, this is 400yds)

Since there is no loading data available for this powder in this cartridge, I would not suggest you take any of this information and assume it will work the same in you're rifle.

The group I tried with the 50 grain bullets definitly shows me some potential and will be do more load developement with it using the 50 grain bullets.

That's two trips to the range that the 55gr VMax's have totally sucked in my 22-250.

I was also trying some 90 gr Ballistic Tips in the 243 and they were also showing some definite promis. 43grains of R-17 gave 3260 fps and shot two 1/2" groups at 400 yards when the wind was still. That will definitely get ones attention.

·
Registered
767 Posts
One of the best powders for 50 grain bullets in my .22-250 has always been RL15.

I haven't tried the slightly slower RL17.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So at what point were you convinced that 2.5 - 3 " groups at 400 yds means totally sucks! /jealous

Your BT load sounds very impressive.

I've used RL-17 for a .270 and a 7mm-08. The .270 load is a keeper for my friend's 26" barrel Rem 700 but it didn't perform very well in the 20" 7mm-08 Rem Model 7 tube. Both of these were with a 140g AB head.

I've never considered it for the 22-250 but may now in the 26" Encore barrel.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I'm shot 50 grain bullet that post a 1/2 group @400yds and 55 grain with the same powder is posting 2 1/2 - 3".

When I first tried the 55 grain with Varget, they had a hard time holding sub MOA groups @ 100yds and the 50 grain were shooting one hole groups with Varget.

That's twice now the 55 grain have not been in the same ball park with the 50 grain.

I started with the 55 grain because I figure it should be a better down range bullet but so far, my rifle has sprayed it like buck shot. I will try a couple more powders but it ain't looking good for them as things stand now.

I will be loading some more 50gr Nosler BT's with the R-17. It's giving me plenty of velocity, actually a little more than I want, (prefer keeping it at 3,600) and that one group I shot with the 50 grain, is definitly worth seeing if it will repeat that with some five shot groups to back it up. Half inch vertical was about as good as any load I tested that day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Gentlemen,

I haven't tried RL-17 in 22-250 yet but, in .308 and 300 WSM it is the best yet in my rifles with all bullet weights for velocity, accuracy and lowest SD.

RL-15 has held the crown in .308 until I started working with RL-17.;) Salt

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I went up to 41.5 grains of Reloader 17 with 50gr Nosler Ballistic tips today. I didn't set the Chrony up because it was suppose to start raining at any time so don't have velocities but I can tell you, they were fast. They were hitting one inch higher at 400yds than the 36.9 grains of Varget I was also trying, and the 40 grains of R-17 was giving 3,700fps, so these loads were booking. This filled the case right up to the bottom of the neck so it was on the verge of being a compressed powder load. There were some extreme pressure signs, the primers were flatning pretty good, a mild amount of crater was visible and several caused a hard bolt lift, but the bases still mic'd good with no increase in diameter. The accuracy was excellent, I tried two five shot groups in a 10mph wind coming in at about 65 degrees and those groups were approx 1 1/4". This is right in there with the Varget I was shooting. The Varget still shot a little smaller groups and it did have a little more vertical seperation than the Varget, but it was definitly holding it's own against it. I did not try any 100yd groups because those really mean nothing to me anyway.

If I had not just bought three pounds of Varget on clearance, I would not hesitate using R-17 in the 22-250. I will back the load down 0.5 grains to 41.0 and see how that works, see about getting the pressures down just a little. It has proven to be an excellent powder in my Tikka T3 Varmint, 22-250.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts