Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering If anyone uses DIllon dies for pistol? The 3 carbide die set that is. Reason is that they say there crimping dies is an ACCU crimp and I have never heard of it and was wondering if it is a good strong type of crimp. I am going to use these dies for my 445 supermag and my wifes 380 acp.

Any explanation of it would be most appreciated.

thanks

Brian

·
Banned
106 Posts
Almost all my dies are Dillon. I haven't had a problem with the crimp on the 44 Magnum with some, um, stout, loads or with the 380 which really doesn't use much crimp at all.

For heavy revolver loads tight case tension is more important than a heavy crimp in holding the bullet in place anyway, so as long as your size die does a good job and your expander doesn't push it out to much the crimp is a distant second. Without proper case tension all the crimp in the world won't hold heavy bullets in place under recoil.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I belive that "Accu crimp" is mostly just Dillons marketing term for a roll crimp. Their new dies do come apart easily for cleaning by pulling a pin so you don't have to adjust them again afterwards, but the crimp is still just a roll crimp. But that's a good thing, you want a roll crimp on virtually all revolver rounds, especially on the big magnums.

Are you shooting the 445 in a Dan Wesson?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Johnk, Thanks again. Now the roll crimp makes more sence to me.

Yes I have a Dan Wesson 445 supermag and love it. I have it topped off with a burris 2x7 scope. I can't wait to start reloading for it.

My wife just bought me a Dillon xl 650 for my B-day this past week so I will have some fun with that.

Again thanks for the info.

Have a good one.

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dillon uses a taper crimp die for autos and an accu crimp for revolvers. It is in fact their "roll" crimp. I load on a Dillon 550 and have tried other maker's dies on revolver loads. It was a hassle compared to Dillon's dies. Dillons accu crimp is quite a bit simpler to set up (on their equipment, anyway), than anyone elses dies. The accu crimp makes a nice roll into the cannalure on the bullet, and you can set it and forget it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Their new dies do come apart easily for cleaning by pulling a pin so you don't have to adjust them again afterwards,
John was right on the money with that comment. Cleaning your dies frequently is important, especially when using cast bullets with lube, and these dies are great for cleaning! The radiused mouths of the dies are also helpful, guiding the cases into the dies, while moving from one station to the next. This prevents hangups and case mouths "catching" on the bottom of the dies, on the downstroke of the handle. The seating stem has a reversible plug with a roundnose and SWC profile on it, to accomidate either style bullet being loaded. Add to the mix a very sturdy depriming stem, that doubles as a stuck case extractor, and I think they are the best thought out dies on the market! Sure they cost a little more, but they're worth it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
if you got the portwd bbl on that wesson try the horn 300 gr bullits with it
you cannot tell the recoil from the 240's and the ported bbl is really nice
by the way where did you get the scope mount?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I only have experience with their propriety dies in the SD, but I love those. I really like the two stage bullet seating and then crimping. You don't have to play the critical game getting the depth and crimp right in one stroke. I will never use the other style again if I can help it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
John was right on the money with that comment. Cleaning your dies frequently is important, especially when using cast bullets with lube, and these dies are great for cleaning! The radiused mouths of the dies are also helpful, guiding the cases into the dies, while moving from one station to the next. This prevents hangups and case mouths "catching" on the bottom of the dies, on the downstroke of the handle. The seating stem has a reversible plug with a roundnose and SWC profile on it, to accomidate either style bullet being loaded. Add to the mix a very sturdy depriming stem, that doubles as a stuck case extractor, and I think they are the best thought out dies on the market! Sure they cost a little more, but they're worth it.
I agree whole-heartedly about needing to clean seating dies when using lead bullets. The Hornady seating die has the same cleaning without affecting settings ability as the Dillon, and most come with two seating stems for different bullet nose profiles.

While they work really well on progressive presses, I would not recommend Dillon dies for use on single stage presses, unless you use Hornady's LNL bushings or Lee's similar setup. Dillon lock rings will not stay put when you remove the die from the press (they have no set screw, etc). And their seating die is adjusted by screwing the whole die in and out (since it can't crimp anyway) which is not as easy or precise as most conventional seater dies. The hornady even takes an optional micrometer adjustment screw.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts