Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering a new barrel for my Contender for deer hunting in IL. The restrictions for handguns is fairly simple: 500 foot lbs (oooops, not fps) or better at the muzzle, 30 cal or larger straight-walled pistol caliber, or only two necked down cartridges, the 300 Whisper or .30 Bellm.

I'm interested in learning more about the 30 Bellm.

anyone out there with experience to share on this cartridge, especially as a deer harvester?

thanks for catching that broom.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I'm considering a new barrel for my Contender for deer hunting in IL. The restrictions for handguns is fairly simple: 500 fps or better at the muzzle, 30 cal or larger straight-walled pistol caliber, or only two necked down cartridges, the 300 Whisper or .30 Bellm.

I'm interested in learning more about the 30 Bellm.

anyone out there with experience to share on this cartridge, especially as a deer harvester?
Your criterion is very confusing: You want 500fps, or better at the muzzle? That would be like, any round ever created, wouldn't it? I think you left out a "2" and that you meant to type "2500 fps" ? The .30 Bellm might be capable of that with very light-for-caliber bullets, but is at it's best with ~135gr pills.

I'm fairly certain you've read this, but here is the Illinois-specific article on the .30 Bellm: http://bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=106

I don't have any particular experience with this cartridge, but given how new and/or obscure it is, I doubt very many will. However, I've shot a bunch of 30 Herrett and this is basically the same thing, in a slightly smaller case, at higher pressure. In short: It'll work.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Probably 500 ft-lbs of kinetic energy, I would guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
.30 bellm

Took 2 doe with my .30 Bellm this past season and was very pleased with the results.
My Thompson center contender was done by mike Bellm who is perhaps the most knowledgeable
Man in his field. He is also a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. My range practice gave
Me one inch high at 100 yds., one inch low at 150 yds., and a five inch drop at 200. The first doe
Was at 40 yds. And dropped on the spot. The second doe was at 194 yds. And dropped within 3 ft.h
Of where she stood. I am amazed at the accuracy, energy and low recoil of this round all from a 14 barrel. I would highly reccomend the .30 Bellm.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Welcome to Shooters Forum, EJH.

The 30 Bellm is definitely an interesting round. What bullet were you shooting? Also, if you were 2" high at 100, would you be an inch high at 150 and 3" low at 200? Just curious, as most folks sight in at least 2" high at 100.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of your posts around the forum. Do you have any other cool 'cats that you play with? :)

Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
The bullet is the nosler partition ballistic tip 125.
If I were 5 inches high at 100 would I be dead on
at 200 ? I did not know most sight in 2 inches high
at 100. Perhaps those Marine instructors started me
out wrong some 50 yrs. ago but it sure has worked.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Ejh,

All I'm saying is you could have a longer maximum PBR by sighting in a little higher at 100 yards. I looked at the trajectory you're getting and would expect your velocity to be in the 2250fps range. Based on that number, you're getting laser-flat shooting out to 150, but then 5" of drop at 200 yards. If you were to sight in 2" high at 100, (zero at 165) here is what your numbers would look like.

50 yards... +1.2"
100 yards... +2.0"
150 yards... +0.8"
200 yards... -2.7"
250 yards... -8.9"

You can see here that, with a 2" sight-in height at 100 yards, there is no need for any hold-over out to 200 yards, where your drop number is cut in half! In fact, if you were to sight in 2.5" high at 100 yards, you would only be 4.5" low at 225 yards. That's 10% more performance with a very modest mid-rise height of only 2.5", which just happens to be at your sight-in distance. I'm not saying you can turn the 300 Bellm into a 300 yard gun, but why not take full advantage of its capabilities by sighting in for a more optimistic PBR?

With powerful cartridges, 3" high is an ever better option and highly recommended for rounds like 308, 270, etc. This gives you the most effective range without having to hold high or low and without making any adjustments to your scope. Within a certain range, you just hold where you want to hit and then shoot! :)

Yes, the QDMA is an impressive organization that does more to protect and improve deer hunting than any group of which I'm aware. I just got done reading, "Deer Cameras - The Science of Scouting", where they go into detail on how to study population trends in your local deer herd with the use of trail camera surveys. But, that's a topic of a different thread and the QDMA has their own forum for that! :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Many thanks for your input, can't wait to dial up to 2" high at 100. Your
Info is greatly appreciated. I had heard that the owner of Cnc cartridge
Has taken deer in excess of 300 yds. Many believe the cartridge is very
Effective at that range. Have had field cameras (cudibacks) out for the
Past seven years. The results have been super in managing the local herd.
We presently have a 1 to 1 ratio , does To bucks, there are other advantage
also. Again thank you for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
When you adjust your scope so that you're hitting 2" high at 100 yards, it would be ideal to be able to shoot at 150, 200 and even 250 yards. Not everyone has access to a range where they can do that, but I can tell you that it's very cool to tweak the way you sight in and then shoot to the POI that you were expecting. Also, practicing at those ranges helps build the confidence to make the longer shots, but since you already took a deer at ~200, I'm guessing you already have that down! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
We are fortunate to have a range out back and I've had practice
sessions at 100, 150 and 200, and was confident
enough to take the 194 yd. shot. When weather warms up I
will concentrate on 200 and my next goal of 250. Perhaps I will
Be ready next fall, but won't take the shot if not. I also plan to
start reloading with a new redding press. Have the .30 bellm dies.
With your new input Jason I will be ready. Planted one half acre of
cannola this past fall and after the first hard frost it turned to
sugar. The deer attacked it like it was candy.
Thanks again Ed

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Ed,

I'm using the 125gr BT in two different chamberings; a 10" Contender barrel in 30 Herrett and with a reduced charge of H4895 for a MV of ~2,500fps out of an 03A3. I've been very happy with the accuracy and performance of this bullet. Keeping the velocity within a reasonable range is the key to solid terminal performance.

If you're getting 2,300fps MV from your 30 Bellm using the 125gr BT, sighting in 3.2" high at 100 should put you 5.2" low at 250. That would give you a mid-point rise of 3.25" at 110 yards and is about the maximum I would consider using for that cartridge/bullet combo. If you'd like me to email you a drop sheet that you can print out, please send me a PM and I'd be glad to do that.

Interesting story on canola: When it was first being developed as a commercial food product crop, it was found to have high levels of selenium uptake, where this mineral was prevalent in the soil. In fact, it was deemed unsafe as a deer food plot seed because of the potential for elevated selenium levels in the deer, causing lower fawn birth weights, among other issues. Fortunately, the scientists who developed the strain of canola now propagated for both seed oil production and as a food plot product were able to manipulate the seed stock, selecting for plants with a lower propensity for selenium uptake. Ultimately, they arrived at the perfectly safe product we have today, which happens to be a core component of just about every brassica blend seed mix on the market.

Also, the plant is noted for elevated uptake of several other trace minerals which can often be deficient in the diet of whitetailed deer, making it something they love to eat that is also quite good for them. It's like getting your kids to LOVE broccoli! :D

Earlier versions of the seed are actually still used, intentionally planted where selenium levels in ground water are high.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It may be a few weeks before I have the opportunity to
Verify my muzzle velocity but will look forward to have a
printout. Great report on canola, also had good results with
Trophy radishes that I understand benefit deer and the soil.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Ed,

You may want to edit your post and remove your full email address so a 'bot doesn't come along and add you to a spam list.

Email sent.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Do I read your OP correctly? Illinois specifies two wildcat rounds as the only two acceptable? That's nuts. The .30-30 would be a far saner option. Wait a second. I used the word sane in conjunction with Illinois. Never mind...

I had a 300 Bellm once. It was way too easy to overload. Even sticking with Bellm's recommended midrange 300 Savage loads, I bent the locking lug on the barrel, ruining it. I'd never have another one.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Rocky,

I believe Illinois allows a variety of straight-walled pistol cases, fired from a single-shot design, but there were just 2 necked cartridges allowed. This smacks of political corruption, but hey...we ARE talking IL, here. My guess is SOMEBODY already owned a 30 Bellm and wanted it included. Why else would such an obscure 'cat have made the list? The 30 Herrett would have been a much better option, IMO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts