Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, due to my obtaining several hundred pounds of bullet lead, I am thinking of dedication my Ruger M77 MK2 30-06 Bolt action rifle to shooting cast bullets exclusively. What do I need to consider or do to this rifle before I start shooting? To date, this rifle has been shot using jacketed bullets only. And according to the cleaning patches soaked in Hoppe's Bench Rest #9 copper solvent the bore is clean of any copper fouling, etc.

I intend to use Lyman #311291 cast bullets, sized to .309", with a gas check, Lee Alox, and IMR Trail Boss powder. The bullet including gas check and lube weighs 171 grains, per my scale. And my current goal is to use enough powder to yield 1,600 fps.

Any advise? Thanks.

·
Banned
507 Posts
It looks like your ready to go shootin' . I found that cast bullets are softer on the barrel, but you will get some leading. I don't woory about leading that much. Leading will build up to a point and stop building up.

When I clean my CB spitting rilfes I use Marksman Choice (or is it Shooter Choice) solvent, lots of patches and elbow grease.

I have taken a lot game with cast bullets, I like my bullets a little softer than WWs for deer hunting.

Jerry

·
Banned
507 Posts
I don't have any loads for using Trail Boss, I use 27 grains of SR 4759 and get 1,600fps with no trouble. With 37 grains of Rx7, I get over 2,200 fps.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
If the bore still has milling marks in it, a good practice is to lap it to really slick it up for the cast bullets. Cleaning will be a breeze then.

You can get fire lapping kits from the Beartooth board, NECCO, Midway, etc.

The velocity sounds good - I've had most problems with barrel leading when pushing casts much above 1800 fps.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Shoot and see, OB. My only concern would be the powder and charge. I will check my Lyman manual now.

Well, surprise. Trail Boss is not listed. That new powder sure is causing a stir. Everybody talking about it and not a lot of data yet. Good luck and let us know how she shoots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts