Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,702 Posts
I loaded a lot of rounds while living in an apartment, and all I did was just c-clamp a press to the kitchen counter. Just ordinary RCBS press, powder measure, and scale.

Gotta watch the amount of force you use on the press handle as those countertops tend to be a bit flimsy, but not a problem with handgun rounds and carbide dies. Just go easy when resizing bottleneck cartridges.

Using a small piece of plywood or something similar to stiffen up the countertop, and protect it, is a good idea.

I have used the Lyman 'tong' tool, and some small presses, BUT I honestly think that if you are going to be serious about reloading, a conventional press is the way to go. Otherwise it adds a lot of work and fatigue to the reloading process.

You can use a hand press or tong tool for a lot of the tasks, just have to be smart about it, like decapping or repriming, those activities don't take as much effort as resizing or even belling case mouths. But there is no substitute for a conventional press when you want to produce a lot of ammo in a short amount of time.

Good topic, and hope it helps any novice reloaders get started.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,702 Posts
Ray, looks good. Just need a hammock and a beer fridge....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts